Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Carerra S Stock Brakes - slight flutter

Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Inbyten
Fwiw, I had my car at the dealer for something else and they felt the brake judder. They felt it was due to the rotors being slightly warped instead of too much brake material being deposited.

IMHO its very unlikely that the rotors are warped. Its an easy answer and easy money for dealer to say this. I had same thing told to me the first time this happened. Then I did some research and found out that dealer and a lot of small shops know very little about tracking cars and the effect of brake pad transfer. Unless the rotors are almost done I would just try good pads first. The dealer will also tell you to change the rotors each time you change pads which is also BS. I learned the hard way by paying unnecessary amounts for rotors.

Check online for "brake judder" and you will see lots of write-ups about pad material deposits on rotors and how to get rid of it. While its difficult to completely eliminate almost all can be removed with a track day using high performance brake pads.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@Inbyten : I agree 100% with Mr. Turtles. I was told exactly the same thing by the dealer. First time, gullable me believed them, and they replaced everything. Next trackday, same story. I then took it to a reputable race shop. They laughed really hard about that, they simply put the RS29 on, and gave me the Pagid breakin procedure. That made the rotors clean again and everything was happy sailing from then on ! Dealers know little to nothing about the things you need when you do trackdays !
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

I had a 2012 991S and only OEM pads were available for about the 1st year. After a few track days the front pads would literally start to crumble. Once the aftermarket caught up it was a huge help but for track days I didn't get happy with the brakes until 2015 when I upgraded to 2 piece slotted giro-discs. A friend has the car now, he is much less abusive of the car on track than I was, and he has the same rotors I put on in 2015 and just keeps up with the pads and brake flushes. It baffles me why Porsche uses 1 piece drilled rotors given the giro-discs cost no more than OEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 Carerra S Stock Brakes - slight flutter