Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need the unemotional logic of RLers. ZR1 or R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

If it's really only for DE social days, why not skip past the ZR1 and just go crazy... thinking something like a Radical, Cobra, or a Caterham with a plate on the back. Treat it like an exotic motorcycle and maybe even run Hoosiers on the small wheels 24/7 and get big laughs out of them. Yeah you'll swap tires a bit more often but the cost of ownership will still be much lower than on a new Vette. Something like that would end up cheaper, more exciting, far more visceral, it could optionally be faster than the ZR1, and it will definitely create more conversation and make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up higher.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:19 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Having driven the ZR1s and racing against Radicals... ^^^this guy isn't wrong!!
Old 05-01-2018, 03:32 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 165 Posts

Unemotional logic says sell it all and invest in T bills. I don't think you want that.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
I know . . . I know . . . it's a spoiled, middle-aged, 1st world, silly question and how dare I ask this question on a Porsche forum, BUT . . . isn't it all about having fun, learning to be a better driver, AND going fast

Anyways, heres the situation and the question. First, I own a Cayman R. I LOVE this car, but it appears the R is slowly turning into a collectors item as prices seem to be holding steady over the last year or two, but I am most definitely NOT a car collector. I love the fact that I can drive this car to a track, have some amazing laps, and then drive home in the very same car. I NEVER drive it anywhere other than to and from the track. Also most of my track days are not PCA DE days, but rather I am fortunate enough to be a member of the Lime Rock Drivers Club so that is where the R sees it's track time. Now, however, since the R is becoming potentially collectable, I'm starting to feel guilty when I take it to the track.

The question is: Why not buy a Corvette ZR1 for the LRDC? It's a super car at a non-super price, no?

The folks here are great at fleshing out the heart of the matter and leaving emotion behind so what say you Rennlist? Buy the 'Vette or keep the R?

2019 Chevy Corvette ZR1 First Drive Review: You knew it would be fast, but this Vette plumbs the extremes

P.S. I would still have my F Class Porsche for races and PCA DEs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiqNKcMEXf4

My R . . .

The power!!! OMG Just coming from one of the fastest tracks around, it took my 400hp ish porsche 20 seconds coming off the prior turn, WOT the entire way to get to 156, this thing gets there in less than 10, and 135mph as most of the porsches got to the start finish line at ACS in about 10 seconds too, the Vet gets to this speed in about 5 seconds. i have to imagine this thing could get to near 200mph at ACS
Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

deleted
Old 05-02-2018, 02:50 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

My understanding is the C7Z51 and the C7GS are the only near track ready vettes. The blown cars have not faired well without aftermarket intervention. That begs the question will the C7ZR1 go more than 1 lap before limp mode sets in? GM learn from the C7Z06?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
My understanding is the C7Z51 and the C7GS are the only near track ready vettes. The blown cars have not faired well without aftermarket intervention. That begs the question will the C7ZR1 go more than 1 lap before limp mode sets in? GM learn from the C7Z06?
While it certainly could have issues, I understood the last ZR1 did not.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37

While it certainly could have issues, I understood the last ZR1 did not.
Same here. A lot of testing everywhere, including my home track.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 AM
jatmonn997tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also disagree that the Cayman R should be considered a future collectible. It's likely at bottom of depreciation curve, which is much higher than base Cayman or Cayman S of the same year. Awesome car on the track for sure !

In regards to the ZR1, if I were buying new would approach as more of a garage queen. I think a modified NA c7 Grand Sport is the way to go. And if for some chance something happened at the track and you balled up the car, you could just remove all the upgraded parts and install in another used Grand Sport, which will always be cheap to find, unlike a ZR1.
Also, with the ZR1 you are adding all the weight from the heat exchangers, and 100+lb to the top of the engine (including obscured vision from this new BAS Supercharger!), all this affecting balance in the corners.

And there are companies that can turn the base LT1 into a high revving monster for the track :

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...track-car.html
Old 05-02-2018, 11:18 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

An up-tooled LT1 will never come close to the whole-vehicle refinement of a Z06 or ZR1. The level of complexity dealt with when engineering the Z06 and ZR1 cannot ever be matched in the aftermarket.

The weight isn't just "slapped on" the vehicle...

That said - I do agree with your observation about a GS being a better disposable track tool, though it'd be less effective making use of more power by slapping on a blower. If anything, the ZR1 will probably end up as far more collectible than a Cayman R...
Old 05-02-2018, 11:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
An up-tooled LT1 will never come close to the whole-vehicle refinement of a Z06 or ZR1. The level of complexity dealt with when engineering the Z06 and ZR1 cannot ever be matched in the aftermarket.

The weight isn't just "slapped on" the vehicle...

That said - I do agree with your observation about a GS being a better disposable track tool, though it'd be less effective making use of more power by slapping on a blower. If anything, the ZR1 will probably end up as far more collectible than a Cayman R...
^^ALL THIS^^
Old 05-02-2018, 12:21 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Mid-engined Corvette comes out in 2020...according to C&D the staring price is $75K. Just sayin....Cayman/Corvette best of both worlds?
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​
Just like how they said it was coming out in 2017 in the October 2014 cover story?
I can't wait for the eventual "look how right we were" circle-jerk if there is ever a mid-engine Corvette. /rant

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
The limp mode thing on the C7Z06 was a bit overblown and mostly impacted the automatic and/or particularly hot climates. It's my understanding that it was largely resolved.
That said though, the C7ZR1 has a TON of power, which places a lot more stress on all the components. Quite simply, the ZR1 just has more of them that can fail. GM has a lot of talented engineers but material properties are material properties. There's always tradeoffs based on how the 50th percentile customer will use the car vs the 99th percentile.

It's also a balance of warranty costs. For some reason people think it's the factory's fault that their street car broke because they were driving it hard on a track and that it should be repaired for free. But when GM adds measures to prevent the car from breaking, people complain that they can't use the car's full potential. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

The GS is the one to have for the track IMO

I wish I had know it was coming out when I ordered my 2015 Z51. I would have waited...
Old 05-02-2018, 02:18 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The GS is the one to have for the track IMO

I wish I had know it was coming out when I ordered my 2015 Z51. I would have waited...

Several folks now saying a GS is a better track car. Why so? Not being snarky in the least just honestly don't know a lot about the different 'vette options. The ZR1 got my attention 'cuz it's really a Super Car at a non-supercar price, but now I'm curious to get "schooled" on all the different 'vette types.

I probably should head over to the Corvette forum and try reading up a little instead of starting a Corvette discussion in a Porsche forum. Don't shoot me everyone. Just askin'
Old 05-02-2018, 02:26 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Just for giggles I came up with this version of a GS on the Chevy Configurator, and its a LOT cheaper than the ZR1

Quick Reply: I need the unemotional logic of RLers. ZR1 or R?