Michelin Pilot sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot sport 4S

Hey
I posted this over in the wheel/tire section however i believe i might get more feedback in this area of the forum.

I am currently using Cup 2's on my 991 GTS (street and track driven) and I am in need of a new set. I am wondering if the MPS4S can handle a few track days a year or if I will destroy them in one track session like i did with the stock P Zero's. I'm less concerned with lap time and more concerned with durability. I am okay with sacrificing overall grip/lap time with the Cup 2's if i can gain some more durability with the 4S.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:48 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

I ran Super Sports for a while (before the 4S was available) and found them to be durable, just not as grippy. Remember to keep your pressures up because they have weaker side walls than the Cup 2's.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:18 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

They will hold up fine. I ran One Lap, some autox, 4 track days, and 10k miles on mine and they aren't even close to being dead.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:51 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've just started running the Pilot Sport 4S as a rain tire. My dry weather tires are Sport Cup 2's. The 4S is great in the rain but I've also done some dry laps with them. They are obviously not in the same class as the Sport Cup 2's on a dry track but they're not bad. Judging by tread wear, the 4S should last a good while and certainly a lot longer that the Cup 2's.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:21 AM
matt997
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran new PS4S this weekend at mid ohio and came away very impressed. Was a very cold weekend. Rain, sleet on Saturday and temps in the 30s and low 40s. Tires just gripped, even in these colder temps and damp track. Sunday saw high 40s and low 50s with sun and the tires were even better as you might expect. I'm only able to compare them to the worn out Bridgestone tires I had on previously and they are light years better.

At the end of the weekend, having ran maybe 60 laps total the tires still looked fresh. I think my best time the with chicane in place was 1:53.9 so they were able to handle a good pace (relatively speaking).

These seem like they could handle a few more HPDE events with relative ease. They are also proving to be a great street tire.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

How do these Cup 2's look? Are they shot?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:06 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

^They'll cord soon on the outer edge. I'd drive em a session but wouldn't expect great grip. No way I'd start a weekend tho.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:11 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What pressure are you guys running these at on track? Trying to take out a Tesla Model 3 for a couple laps that's on 4S's. Car weight is ~3800lbs.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:18 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zedcat
^They'll cord soon on the outer edge. I'd drive em a session but wouldn't expect great grip. No way I'd start a weekend tho.
Thanks for the feedback. I can't believe these only lasted a day and a half. Looks like I definitely need a new set before my next track day. I'm getting a track alignment that I hope solves the wear issue.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:34 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I ran the mps4s this weekend at njmp lightning de for the first time on track. Great every day tire, my car is basically a dd. Anyway, they did fine at the track, not nearly as grippy as the cup 2 but entirely serviceable and still plenty of tread left. Very predictable, and was able to hang with pretty much everyone in my group, except Omar who is a bada**. On my full stock 2013 991 c2s, they like to be around 35 psi HOT. They got greasy at 40. Ended up starting them at 29 front and 30 rear COLD. Unfortunately didn’t figure this out until Sunday afternoon. Then proceeded to knock 3 seconds off my best time and ran a bunch of 1:17s in a row, which is good for me. Anyway, the 4S is a fine tire for a few track days. I plan on using them one more weekend over the summer at Watkins Glen, and expect to still have some tread left. Any more than that and you’ll want more tire, and you’ll be upset at all the underpowered cars with crappy drivers passing you because they have more grip.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:22 PM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
I ran the mps4s this weekend at njmp lightning de for the first time on track. Great every day tire, my car is basically a dd. Anyway, they did fine at the track, not nearly as grippy as the cup 2 but entirely serviceable and still plenty of tread left. Very predictable, and was able to hang with pretty much everyone in my group, except Omar who is a bada**. On my full stock 2013 991 c2s, they like to be around 35 psi HOT. They got greasy at 40. Ended up starting them at 29 front and 30 rear COLD. Unfortunately didn’t figure this out until Sunday afternoon. Then proceeded to knock 3 seconds off my best time and ran a bunch of 1:17s in a row, which is good for me. Anyway, the 4S is a fine tire for a few track days. I plan on using them one more weekend over the summer at Watkins Glen, and expect to still have some tread left. Any more than that and you’ll want more tire, and you’ll be upset at all the underpowered cars with crappy drivers passing you because they have more grip.
Thank you for the shout out - you had great pace yourself. All I was running was high 1:15s, low 1:16s, and given the tire difference I think we were running the same pace pretty much. Plenty of room for improvement for all of us, which is what makes it exciting.

So after the two days at Lightning we inspected the Cup2s yesterday and despite -2.2 camber up front, the front tires (especially the front left) had significant wear on the outside of the tire, and the overall wear level was substantial, surprising given I used them only for 8 sessions total. I'll unfortunately have to nurse them through this weekend at Thunderbolt and get a new pair up front right after for the Glen, while adding even more camber. Having run one set of PS4S the whole season last year, the wear difference is substantial (I'm definitely considering going back to the 4S myself, given how expensive these tires are)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Tried a new tire this past weekend with a new track alignment at NJMP. Had brand new Potenza RE71-R's on the car and the grip was amazing. Of course, the new track alignment had something to do with it, but the tires were great.
Until now, I have always run the Pilot Sport Cup 2's. I think I like the RE71-R's even more.
YMMV....
Old 05-03-2018, 01:32 PM
hsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by erko1905
Thank you for the shout out - you had great pace yourself. All I was running was high 1:15s, low 1:16s, and given the tire difference I think we were running the same pace pretty much. Plenty of room for improvement for all of us, which is what makes it exciting.

So after the two days at Lightning we inspected the Cup2s yesterday and despite -2.2 camber up front, the front tires (especially the front left) had significant wear on the outside of the tire, and the overall wear level was substantial, surprising given I used them only for 8 sessions total. I'll unfortunately have to nurse them through this weekend at Thunderbolt and get a new pair up front right after for the Glen, while adding even more camber. Having run one set of PS4S the whole season last year, the wear difference is substantial (I'm definitely considering going back to the 4S myself, given how expensive these tires are)

Seems like we are in a similar predicament with the Cup 2's. Are you an advanced level driver?
Old 05-03-2018, 05:13 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I instructed a student last year in a GT4, the car had pretty good grip and I thought it was on cup 2's. To my surprise he said he replaced the cup's with the 4S. I was pretty impressed.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905

I get even-ish wear with -2.5 front on 991.1 GT3. But I only get 2-2.5 days before they lose much grip due to harder compound past wear bars. It would be fine if fronts and rears lost grip together - I'd just run slower laps till they cord - but fronts lose grip first leading to VERY understeery car.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot sport 4S