Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelin really are the best tires.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

A less expensive option is the ExtremeContact Sport by Continental, link to tire rack They have your sizes in stock and with $70 rebate gets you all in at $1,000. From personal experience I can say they wear like steel but grip like hell. I've run these 14 track days (Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Palmer) in PCA Blue solo group in my wanna-be SPC Boxster and they have 80% front, 60% rear remaining with even wear across the tire. Granted I have -2.7 F, -2.3 R camber and I try not to overcook my corner entries, I run them 32/35 hot on a 2700 lb car. Fully endorse these tires and very good in the wet too.

Regardless of tire brand, driving style and car set up are probably the two most influential factors in your extreme tire wear. The new GT4 will do the same thing if those things are not addressed.

Last edited by BFT3.2; 06-06-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
A less expensive option is the ExtremeContact Sport by Continental, link to tire rack They have your sizes in stock and with $70 rebate gets you all in at $1,000. From personal experience I can say they wear like steel but grip like hell. I've run these 14 track days (Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Palmer) in PCA Blue solo group in my wanna-be SPC Boxster and they have 80% front, 60% rear remaining with even wear across the tire. Granted I have -2.7 F, -2.3 R camber and I try not to overcook my corner entries, I run them 32/35 hot on a 2700 lb car. Fully endorse these tires and very good in the wet too.

Regardless of tire brand, driving style and car set up are probably the two most influential factors in your extreme tire wear. The new GT4 will do the same thing if those things are not addressed.
Solid advice. I may try the Contis. Definitely want to work on my driving style. The reason for the new GT4 is really the fact that I will be able to get much more negative camber than I can now on the 981, without having to start modifying the 981. There are likely going to be more track tire choices with the new GT4 as there are with the current GT4. Of course, the rest of the GT4 goodies wouldn't hurt I'm definitely not looking to buy another car to fix the tire issue without addressing the driving.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:01 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad to hear someone has tried these - been tempted by them. When you say grip like hell - is that a positive or negative? As in do they grip well? Not sure how to read into that... sort of Laurel/Yanny thing.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Glad to hear someone has tried these - been tempted by them. When you say grip like hell - is that a positive or negative? As in do they grip well? Not sure how to read into that... sort of Laurel/Yanny thing.
Lol.. Didn't even cross my mind. Yes, grip extremely well! As we all know, alignment/suspension set-up, driving style, tire pressure all have a lot to do with a tire's success on track. With that Im amazed at their grip for a 340 wear tire, feel equal to when I ran RE-11 on my air cooled. Maybe only having 200hp helps me from breaking the rear end loose..
Old 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Continental next best to Michelin - I chose Michelin for better wet rating etc. but good deal and value for Extreme Contact . Speak to Damon at tire rack .
Old 06-07-2018, 11:45 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGeorge
Solid advice. I may try the Contis. Definitely want to work on my driving style. The reason for the new GT4 is really the fact that I will be able to get much more negative camber than I can now on the 981, without having to start modifying the 981. There are likely going to be more track tire choices with the new GT4 as there are with the current GT4. Of course, the rest of the GT4 goodies wouldn't hurt I'm definitely not looking to buy another car to fix the tire issue without addressing the driving.
Not sure about the new GT4 that's not out yet but you needed aftermarket parts to get good camber in the current one.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Lol.. Didn't even cross my mind. Yes, grip extremely well! As we all know, alignment/suspension set-up, driving style, tire pressure all have a lot to do with a tire's success on track. With that Im amazed at their grip for a 340 wear tire, feel equal to when I ran RE-11 on my air cooled. Maybe only having 200hp helps me from breaking the rear end loose..
I may give them a try next time around, thanks for the input and clarification!

Funny - when I asked my main instructor (Lotus Pirelli WC driver) what kind of tires he recommended he looked at me like I was nuts and said "whatever is cheapest!"
Old 06-07-2018, 12:44 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Not sure about the new GT4 that's not out yet but you needed aftermarket parts to get good camber in the current one.
Hm. I didn't know that. I thought you could easily go to -2 front in the current GT4. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

I'm going to order new front PS4S tires and keep the rears for the sessions they will last, while I try to adjust by driving. When they wear out, I'll buy the Continental and post back. $1k is hard to beat and the reviews are great on tire rack. Considering I want to get better and not compete at this point, I think the "whatever is cheapest" is a good way to go about it.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:42 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CyberGeorge
Hm. I didn't know that. I thought you could easily go to -2 front in the current GT4. Thanks for the heads up.
Maybe can get -2 but that's not enough either especially if you're running hoho or slicks.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Cybergeorge my opinion is that it is not the tires fault or your driving. How can you wear out the right tires first if you are going clockwise?
Others have no problem with the PS4's, so why should you be any different?
Doesn't make sense to me.
I'm thinking it's the car, or not enough tire pressure.
Did they check the toe?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:13 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Cybergeorge my opinion is that it is not the tires fault or your driving. How can you wear out the right tires first if you are going clockwise?
Others have no problem with the PS4's, so why should you be any different?
Doesn't make sense to me.
I'm thinking it's the car, or not enough tire pressure.
Did they check the toe?
The track is actually ran counter-clockwise. The other guys may be driving better than me or at least less aggressively on turn in. I have the track layout below (black) and my two alignments. Black/White is the factory and after the first set of PS4S. Color is after the second set of PS4S.

Gateway Track

Before: stock, After: 1st set of PS4S

Before: 1st set of PS4S, After: 2nd set of PS4S
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I've run Gateway in a 997.1S on PS4s with as close to a GT3 alignment as you can get on an all stock suspension and had no issues.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:42 PM
CyberGeorge
Advanced

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I've run Gateway in a 997.1S on PS4s with as close to a GT3 alignment as you can get on an all stock suspension and had no issues.
Thanks! Your alignment is probably more aggressive than my -1.2 camber up front which should help, but regardless, I think I have a problem with getting in the turn too fast, which I should fix. How many sessions did you run on these tires? There is a PDX tomorrow and I'll go with a pyrometer and accurate gauge to test. I have two new PS4S up front and I'm using the same as last time in the rear. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot sport 4S