Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School a rookie on passing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 11:59 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Rcaecraft takes time (years) to develop. Just because you can run a faster lap time doesn't mean you can get by a well driven car in front.

From what I saw in the video, you kill your entire lap down the hill...pretty much every time. You were off throttle at and even after the apex. You need to be full throttle past the apex for sure, and in a lower power car, should be at least 50% throttle at the apex. The best passing opportunity at Lime Rock is into T1. It's nearly impossible to pass a similar speed car anywhere else, unless they make a mistake (at least not safely).
Old 04-24-2018, 12:17 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Joe, I would suggest video that also captures the rotation of the steering wheel (hands included) is extremely valuable in analyzIng areas for improvement. You can use more of the track on exit at Big Bend and the downhill by using the kerbs. It should not upset the car.

Has Simon driven the car to verify the setup has just a little understeer?
​​​
Yeah, Spencer (the owner of SST and the individual in charge of the setup) knows I'm still a Rookie so the car has a slight understeer tendency dialed in as a safety precaution, and I agree I'd like to see steering inputs. I'll have to look at alternate mount points. SST likes to set up the camera as it is, but we'll see . . .

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Nice good clean race weekend and good seeing you. (I started typing this when the thread was young but never finished - some overlap with Frank's comments.)

Some thoughts:

1. The misshift aside you left way too much space in front of you are the start. Roll up on the car in front of you and be aggressive at the start. If you lose positions at the start its more work to do during the race. Try to do the opposite and GAIN positions at the start.

2. You are tentative everywhere and tend to roll slowly into throttle and roll slowly out of throttle and drift into every turn. You need to roll more speed everywhere. Stay on throttle longer and get back to throttle much quicker.

3. I like your line everywhere except the uphill. You are using the DE line and usually leaving a half car length to your left which is restricting your speed. The fastest laps I have ever driven are when my car is way over the white line and I am tracking out on the dirt! You don't need to do that at this stage but you should be up at the white line which will enable you to roll speed.

4. The downhill is a great opportunity to gather speed, pull alongside the car in front, and outbrake them. There is a good deal of compression at the apex which lets you get back to full throttle - use it.

5. Same with the entry to no name. If you ever do a track walk you will notice that there is "banking" at the righthander into no name.

Bottom line - if this were a DE and I was in the 911 I am not sure I would have given you a point by because you never got close enough. Be more aggressive.

All this being said, everything you are doing now is EXACTLY what I did my first year. Forgot to shift at the start, didn't close the gap to the car in front of me, was very tentative, etc. Two things cure this - coaching and seat time.

You did well, stayed out of trouble and had fun. Just work at it and you will start passing cars left and right!

Lastly, if you sign up for a CVR DE I am happy to take you out and show you my thoughts.

Wow, great advice! Thanks Todd! I went back and reread your posts from 2015 when you went to Sebring. Lot's of great advice for Rookies in that thread!

Originally Posted by Paseb
Jp

Watch this from my last race WE at road atlanta, it worth it.

From 25:30 to 30:30

Some nose to tail racing and i will pass at 30:00
You will see some HP advantage too lol

I knew i was faster in this turn than harold. So, racing is about that, seeing where your adversary is slower and time/plan that opportunity. In multicars racing, you have to position yourself and open your eyes your opportunity.

It takes pratice and somes races under your belt hehe
I love watching videos of you "pros". Thanks for the link. Just hope I can continue to improve . . . you know . . . old dog, new tricks and all that . . .

Originally Posted by 38D
Rcaecraft takes time (years) to develop. Just because you can run a faster lap time doesn't mean you can get by a well driven car in front.

From what I saw in the video, you kill your entire lap down the hill...pretty much every time. You were off throttle at and even after the apex. You need to be full throttle past the apex for sure, and in a lower power car, should be at least 50% throttle at the apex. The best passing opportunity at Lime Rock is into T1. It's nearly impossible to pass a similar speed car anywhere else, unless they make a mistake (at least not safely).
I couldn't agree more! As I mentioned last season when I first got this car, the previous owner was kind enough to give me data from one of his races, and I most definitely am losing a TON of time on the downhill every time. I just don't have the cajones or experience level to comfortably hit the apex at 85 to 90 but I'm workin' on it.

On a totally separate note I just realized that this race was my 4th successful, actually completed, and incident free PCA race so I finally get to take the X off my tail Can't wait for the Glen!!

Last edited by JP66; 04-24-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Congrats, Joe. Take that X off!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:34 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Congrats, Joe. Take that X off!

Thanks Peter!

You should know I have had numerous pros drive my car and I also have the data from Jim and I am as fast or faster than all of them in Big Bend and the left hander and I am certain it was the day spent with you focusing on that one piece of the puzzle that really made the difference in my developing experience. We'll have to do another day this summer or fall so you can help me "fix" another corner or two
Old 04-24-2018, 12:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,799 Likes on 1,654 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Thanks Peter!

You should know I have had numerous pros drive my car and I also have the data from Jim and I am as fast or faster than all of them in Big Bend and the left hander and I am certain it was the day spent with you focusing on that one piece of the puzzle that really made the difference in my developing experience. We'll have to do another day this summer or fall so you can help me "fix" another corner or two
That would be fun! I'd like that.

That focus you brought to bear on that section of the course has helped you unlock your capable performance there, for sure. You did it the right way, by considering, practicing and executing a variety of different approaches and then honing the one or ones that worked.

Unfortunately, Lime Rock is not just those three corners, and you'll want to work on incrementally increasing your knowledge of the topography and physics of the four others in such a way that knowledge allows for easy "growing of a pair." THEN, it will all come together and you'll be in the 1:00.XXX-1:01.XXX on a regular basis!

After that, of course, there is the art and science of starts, passing and racecraft. But that's for another thirty page thread on RL!

Again, congrats. I saw on Race Monitor (while monitoring the progress of a few other folks I've worked with, including Jim) several 1:02.9XX's that you did and felt like you'd truly broken through a plateau!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-24-2018, 01:17 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Wow, great advice! Thanks Todd! I went back and reread your posts from 2015 when you went to Sebring. Lot's of great advice for Rookies in that thread!

On a totally separate note I just realized that this race was my 4th successful, actually completed, and incident free PCA race so I finally get to take the X off my tail Can't wait for the Glen!!
Glad you got something out of it. Keeping your nose clean and getting coaching and seat time are the best teachers. I was exactly where you are only a few short years ago. Now everything I say is solid gold information because I have finished a few races and I am posting on the internet!

I viewed the X as a target for easy pickings although you can use it to scare the hell out of people. I'm thinking about putting an X back on my car and just chopping anyone who tries to pass me. They'll say "damn rookie, he didn't even know I was there!"
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to see you Joe! Glad you had a clean weekend and look forward to seeing you at the next one.

I could be crazy, but it looks like he was actually trying to give you a point-by at 5:15.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:00 PM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

[QUOTE=JP66;14963949]Yeah, Spencer (the owner of SST and the individual in charge of the setup) knows I'm still a Rookie so the car has a slight understeer tendency dialed in as a safety precaution, and I agree I'd like to see steering inputs. I'll have to look at alternate mount points. SST likes to set up the camera as it is, but we'll see..

Hi Joe, I believe Simon and any procoach would recommend a car setup with a slight amount of understeer in all racing situations.The question is SST setup more than a slight amount of understeer.

Does you video camera have a wide angle lens?Simon drove my 944 with massive understeer and when the setup was changed to reduce the understeer, you can see the difference in steering wheel orientation after the suspension setup.

Also read Paradigm Shift Racing 3 books on racing. Adam Brouillard does an excellent explanation on how to drive the perfect corner with a momentum car.

Hope to see you at LRP this summer.

Tom
Old 04-26-2018, 07:53 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
Quick observation, going downhill before the front straight, you're on his bumper carrying slightly more speed and have to back off at exit to basically not ram into him and lose a lot of momentum. Try putting a little more space (back off slightly before the downhill) next time and as you go downhill carrying more speed, you won't have to back off exit sailing past by. Obviously timing is everything
I'm late to this thread, but the above comment really rings true with me. There is basically no way you're getting past that car anywhere except into T1. You look much better on the brakes here than the 911, but you're too far back to make it happen. If this is where the pass is going to have to happen, work it backwards to figure out how to make that work. You need to be closer and faster going into T1, to do that you need to be faster coming out of the downhill. You can't be so close that you have to back off like you did in a couple laps, so there is an ideal distance back you want to be when you begin to execute the plan. I think you could start on 'the back straight' if you were far enough back and continue to wind up the speed through 'west bend' and through the downhill, but you have to focus on exit speed on the downhill so you are really cooking and close by the time you hit the main straight. I wouldn't even really bother hassling him beyond T1 because it's never going to happen and you don't have a whole lot of time to set up for your next speed wind up that you're going to start on 'the back straight'.

The hard part is getting that plan together while you're keeping the car on the road, then learning exactly how far back you should be and when to start building speed for an attack that's a couple turns away. Then you have to execute that plan, which is hard too! But it's not supposed to be easy and that's why it's fun

Quick Reply: School a rookie on passing.