Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual tread wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also need to account for the "M0" Mercedes spec tire being a slightly different compound than the "Nx" Porsche spec or generic global spec Cup 2 tire. It might be more susceptible to wear on the outer tread blocks because it uses a softer compound to provide the grip, balance, and performance Mercedes wanted on whichever car that is the OE tire for.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:45 PM
PhillyGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Were these tires new? Same thing happened to a friend of mine this past weekend. They were very new and outer edges were corded after 2 days. Rest of treads looked good.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:00 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

That looks like typical track day cording on outer edges due to insufficient negative camber. Could be a little chunking too. I highly doubt any warranty claim is going to be honored.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
That looks like typical track day cording on outer edges due to insufficient negative camber. Could be a little chunking too. I highly doubt any warranty claim is going to be honored.

-Mike
Mike, this is outside edge cording with -2 negative camber. Confirmed alignment today. He doesn’t do DE just Autocross and really doesn’t drive the car much. It sits at his business in a garage between events. In central Florida roads are flat and straight, so no weekend mountain road driving. I am much harder on my tires and never experienced this, so I was at a loss to explain it at 500 miles.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:14 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhillyGT3
Were these tires new? Same thing happened to a friend of mine this past weekend. They were very new and outer edges were corded after 2 days. Rest of treads looked good.
These were new tires with 3 autocrosses on them. I guess this happens. I didn’t notice them were M0! I hope the replacements are N spec. Thanks for catching that.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyGT3
Was that at RTR's event at Jefferson? I was just about to comment about that tire until I saw your post (I was the RTR Safety Guy that had to tell him he couldn't keep running it). Worst part of the job...
Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by CDinSing
Mike, this is outside edge cording with -2 negative camber. Confirmed alignment today. He doesn’t do DE just Autocross and really doesn’t drive the car much.
It looks like -2 isn't enough. Tire temps across the face of the tire with a pyrometer right after a performance run would tell a lot. Someone watching the outer tires closely on the outside of a corner could determine if the outer edges are tucking under.

I've seen wear like this at our car control school with street cars with aggressive drivers. The autocross surface could have something to do with it as well. Still would be very surprised a warranty claim would be honored here.

-Mike
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
It looks like -2 isn't enough. Tire temps across the face of the tire with a pyrometer right after a performance run would tell a lot. Someone watching the outer tires closely on the outside of a corner could determine if the outer edges are tucking under.

I've seen wear like this at our car control school with street cars with aggressive drivers. The autocross surface could have something to do with it as well. Still would be very surprised a warranty claim would be honored here.

-Mike
Mike,
Thanks. Not expecting a warranty claim but don’t want to repeat the result. I have a pyrometer and can ask someone to check the temps and wear at the event next week. He is a fast, aggressive driver but so am I. I just didn’t think a Cayman’s setup would be that much different from the GT3. I guess bad assumption, we will need to test and measure this set more closely.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:11 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Now I'm confused. Is the wear all around the tire, or just 1/3 as the OP seems to indicate?
Old 04-20-2018, 06:47 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Now I'm confused. Is the wear all around the tire, or just 1/3 as the OP seems to indicate?
Wear is all around but cording is 1/3 around. Seems a bit much for the use but seen before by others, is my take away. So could happen again.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:35 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

I didn’t notice them were M0! I hope the replacements are N spec.
Easy enough to see by going to the Michelin site. Otherwise you're SOL if you want to run that tire.

I just didn’t think a Cayman’s setup would be that much different from the GT3. I guess bad assumption, we will need to test and measure this set more closely.
Apples and oranges. Rear suspension is totally different. So is weight distribution.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Not familiar with the specific suspension here, but one thing to be on the look out for is making sure the ride height/suspension geometry always results is *more* negative camber as the suspension is loaded up. The top of the knuckle should be closer to the center line than the bottom as the suspension is compressed.

On E36 M3s it is possible to set the front suspension too low. If set too low, the outer portion of the lower control arm pulls inward as the suspension compresses if the inner ball joint is lower than the outer ball joint at the knuckle. With the suspension set proper, the lower control arm slopes downward from the inner ball joint to the outer ball joint and never passes parallel to the ground at full compression. Thus, as the suspension compresses, the lower ball joint on the knuckle is pushed out giving more negative camber.

The height error I'm referring to could be out in the weeds, but this sort of thing can cause the dynamic negative camber magnitude to be a lot less than the static camber measured at alignment.

-Mike
Old 04-21-2018, 06:57 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

I am also not too familiar with the Cayman suspension. My wife has a Boxster so I can educate myself. I believe he added eibach lowering springs and set the camber at -2, which doesn’t seem too radical and I am guessing the set up is pretty common. I will take a look at it next week.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

A typical setting for a street/track Cayman is -3.0 F, -2.5 R, 1/16" rear toe per side, and 0 or slight toe out in F.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

For autox you need more air pressure in the rear to get the car to rotate and not dig in, which is giving you what you have right there. I would try that first before messing with alignment. Plus, it's easy

Gary

Quick Reply: Unusual tread wear