Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just starting with IRacing, Get this Wheel & Pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 03:45 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

if you can go VR, I just put the Rift on my sim and its awesome. graphics are not as good as triples but it feels like you are sitting in the car. I run a T500Rs with a sam Maxwell rim , I had him duplicate the steering wheel that was in my spec racer. I also use ECCI pedals, I went with them because you can adjust pedal pressure with springs.

if you go on the iracing forums used wheels and pedals come up often.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a very high end system. Tried the Rift setup and was sick within 5 seconds on the track. Way too realistic but I guess my inner ear was missing the physical movement. I was so disappointed because I loved the immersion.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I have a very high end system. Tried the Rift setup and was sick within 5 seconds on the track. Way too realistic but I guess my inner ear was missing the physical movement. I was so disappointed because I loved the immersion.
You’re not alone.

With my triple (even set up well) at my place at VIR, 30-35% of folks felt queasy.

It’s a known phenomena in jet fighter sim training in the military, and you’ve nailed it exactly. Your eyes see motion that your inner ear doesn’t feel.

Also a major problem with the latency common in most motion platforms. Which is why, if you want motion and have that sensitivity, try D-Box.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

try eating or putting some ginger in a drink before you get on the sim.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I was in a Simcraft not too long ago. I was car sick fairly quick!
Really cool simulator however!
Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Do people get used to the motion sickness or do you get desensitized to it after continued exposure? I tried a $60k full motion sim and nearly puked within 5mins.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Do people get used to the motion sickness or do you get desensitized to it after continued exposure? I tried a $60k full motion sim and nearly puked within 5mins.
I could never get past it, but I even got sick on Disney rides that projected motion in front of you and bounced you around in a row of seats. I used to take ginger pills before playing games waaaay back, they do work some but once that queasy feeling hits you're done. I wouldn't mind trying a Rift but am 95% sure it won't work for me...
Old 04-16-2018, 08:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I know folks who started out with consoles (PlayStation, XBOX), then moved into PC and they did better than folks that went straight to PC. Lack of latency, I suppose.

The quality of the image, a single image and the speed of rendering all improve the odds of people not being adversely affected, in my experience.

Yes, people have acclimated and become less sensitive to motion sickness. But it's all individual reactions. That's why I start everyone on a single screen, static sim.

Boris Said and I both got ill within a few minutes on twin $660K Cruden Hexapods here at VIR over a decade ago. No fun. But neither of us are sensitive in most other simulators.

You don't want the experience of simulated driving getting in your way of the driving, for sure.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-16-2018, 12:32 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a g27 if someone wants it. I'm in NorCal
Old 04-16-2018, 12:43 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

The first time I tried Oculus in iRacing I experienced an increased heart rate I assume because my brain was a bit overwhelmed due to the immersive experience, but I just switched to slow deep breathing and after a couple of 15 minutes sessions, all was normal as if watching a monitor. I've worked in the high-fidelity flight simulator business for 30 years, motion simulators with 6 degree-of-freedom 60" stroke motion systems and 180+ degree out the window displays, and generally people are in two camps. The minority of people will always struggle with some sim sickness, most have no problems. I know one past colleague who was in the business for 40+ years and couldn't be in one for more than 5 minutes without getting severe nausea. I never had a problem. A little trick some people use who suffer from the sim sickness nausea, have some cool air blowing directly on your upper body.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

No difference other than floor hinged or hanging, I think. Personal preference. Just need to anchor them securely.

I have to say, I still LOVE my old G27 with the Perfect Pedal upgrade. Still one of the most realistic feels I’ve tried. And I’ve got three or four high end ($1200+) pedal sets lying around. The V3’s are a little soft for my taste.
After asking a while back, I did the Perfect Pedal upgrade. It is terrific.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I have the Oculus setup and for the first few plays I had to go only for a few minutes and then be done for the day. After a few days I didn't have trouble doing sprints, but I still will need to build endurance to use the sim for more than about 90 minutes. The track does matter - things like elevation changes make it harder on your brain.

The three monitor setup should work without the dizziness issues and gives much better resolution provided you have the hardware to support it. But the VR headsets offer 3D simulation and three monitors is still 2D - going to 3D really helps with immersion.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

If you are using a rift i would use a fan just to keep you cool, it does get hot.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:31 AM
tlambie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
The track does matter - things like elevation changes make it harder on your brain.
Agreed, and the first time you go up on the banking in Daytona in your Oculus Rift is a real brain bender. Perhaps, stranger than in real life and that's certainly exciting.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:13 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I have the Oculus setup and for the first few plays I had to go only for a few minutes and then be done for the day. After a few days I didn't have trouble doing sprints, but I still will need to build endurance to use the sim for more than about 90 minutes. The track does matter - things like elevation changes make it harder on your brain.

The three monitor setup should work without the dizziness issues and gives much better resolution provided you have the hardware to support it. But the VR headsets offer 3D simulation and three monitors is still 2D - going to 3D really helps with immersion.

Agree. 3 monitor set up increases the sense of speed and will help with race craft. Oculus rift will allow you to sense/see the real elevation changes in the circuits. Triple monitors will show elevation changes better then a single monitor but not as good as the Oculus. Wish the resolution were better - but the immersion is great - particularly when you add in simcommander system.

Quick Reply: Just starting with IRacing, Get this Wheel & Pedals.