Sponsored by:

Old HANS device. What parts do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:03 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Old HANS device. What parts do I need?

Since I'm taking my new SRF to the track this week, I dusted off my old HANS device that I used around 2000-2003 when I raced SRF.

IIRC this was one of the very early all carbon fiber HANS devices. I assume it's fine to run it since it was never damaged. I'll have to check on that...

Below are some pics. I don't remember what my setup was on my old helmet. I feel like I'm missing some parts.

Can I just buy a set of clips and the helmet mounts?
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simpson has recertification program https://simpsonraceproducts.com/sfi-recertifications.

Info at linked page gives idea of requirements and costs. You ship the unit to them. If inspection OK, they determine what requires updating for re-certification and call you to confirm details and price. In my experience turnaround is pretty quick - about 1 week. Recertification is valid for another 5 years. You can discuss helmet attachment options/hardware with them.

You mention event this weekend, call them you may be able to arrange expedited turnaround.

Last edited by obsessedone; 04-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:53 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are doing a track day, and not racing, you don’t need to have your HANS recertified. As a minimum I would recommend replacing your fixed teather with a sliding teather. They only cost about $45 and are easy to install (only four screws). Also you will need Posts for your helmet if you don’t already have them. You can likely find them at a local shop or get express shipping over the Internet

Charley
Old 04-10-2018, 01:01 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

This is what the sliding teather looks like. It comes with the teather, the two orange clips, and four screws.

And you can add posts like these. Just see if your helmet is an SA helmet or an SAH. The only difference is that the post kit for the SAH helmets don’t include a backup washer/nut because they are already built into the helmets...

Charley
Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCA DE Minimum Standards

As suggested from the PCA Minimum Standards for DE you might consider:

When using a head and neck restraint device, it must meet the standards of either SFI 38.1 or FIA 8858. It is recommended that one follow the SFI Recertification process for the head and neck restraint device. The instructions for this can be found on the device. Additionally, it is recommended that the straps be replaced every five years.

https://www.pca.org/driver-education-minimum-standards
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Looks like they made a bunch of minor changes since my v1 HANS. I went ahead and bought the new Gen3 non-pro HANS (about $475) with the sliding tethers. I'll use the new one while I send in the old one for recert/retrofit.

Thanks all for your help and advice.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I don't remember what my setup was on my old helmet. I feel like I'm missing some parts.

Can I just buy a set of clips and the helmet mounts?
Recertification is probably the best way to go. With an updated helmet you have updated anchors.
If you send it back the manufacturer will inspect it, and replace your tethers/clips.
Your device shows fixed tethers, and the clips are no longer usable on recent model helmet HANS anchors.
This photo of a more recent HANS shows 1. sliding tethers and 2. update on helmet clips.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:41 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

Do FIA Hans devises expire? I remember hearing SFI ratings must be re-certified but FIA is good for life. No idea if this is really true. I have an ancient, original carbon model with new sliding tether, but the original FIA sticker, while dated, is still present. I am racing in Europe next month and must meet FIA standards, will this pass?
Old 04-22-2018, 08:24 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
Do FIA Hans devises expire? I remember hearing SFI ratings must be re-certified but FIA is good for life. No idea if this is really true. I have an ancient, original carbon model with new sliding tether, but the original FIA sticker, while dated, is still present. I am racing in Europe next month and must meet FIA standards, will this pass?
SFI normally 2 years, FIA 5 years for items like harnesses and window nets. Both have stickers indicating either date of manufacture or date of expiration depending when made - newer item stickers have date of expiration. HANS certification is 5 year, should be dated sticker on any recent models.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:47 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by obsessedone
SFI normally 2 years, FIA 5 years for items like harnesses and window nets. Both have stickers indicating either date of manufacture or date of expiration depending when made - newer item stickers have date of expiration. HANS certification is 5 year, should be dated sticker on any recent models.

I am aware of the harness, seat, window net, etc expiration dates but I have yet to see anything concrete with regards to expiration on an FIA Hans device. In fact I looked at my Hans last night and the FIA sticker does not even have a date on it, just a serial number. There would be no way to determine if it expired unless you had a mast list of serial numbers, not something a steward could do at a race. I checked the FIA documents and could not find a reference to an expiration date. This leads me to believe that the FIA rating does not expire on a Hans.

Does anyone have concrete information about this?
Old 04-24-2018, 02:29 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

You can contact HANS directly, They are very helpful. When I talked with them many years ago they told me that originally HANS devices didn’t have an expiration, however the rules changed and now the Race organizations require the 5 year recertification. They explained that the recertification process includes a visual inspection and replacement of the tethers. Depending on condition they may also replace the rubber. Then they add a certification sticker
Old 04-24-2018, 02:32 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

I am aware of the harness, seat, window net, etc expiration dates but I have yet to see anything concrete with regards to expiration on an FIA Hans device. In fact I looked at my Hans last night and the FIA sticker does not even have a date on it, just a serial number. There would be no way to determine if it expired unless you had a mast list of serial numbers, not something a steward could do at a race. I checked the FIA documents and could not find a reference to an expiration date. This leads me to believe that the FIA rating does not expire on a Hans.

Does anyone have concrete information about this?
HANS re-certification info is on this page https://simpsonraceproducts.com/sfi-recertifications. There is a contact number at the bottom of the page that you can call to speak directly to Simpson/HANS representatives to get the answers directly from the authority.
My recollection is the earliest HANS devices did not show the date of manufacture or expiration. I also believe they will no longer re-certify some of the oldest devices. But call them directly at 1-800-654-7223 to get the actual facts.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:40 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

HANS re-certification info is on this page https://simpsonraceproducts.com/sfi-recertifications. There is a contact number at the bottom of the page that you can call to speak directly to Simpson/HANS representatives to get the answers directly from the authority.
My recollection is the earliest HANS devices did not show the date of manufacture or expiration. I also believe they will no longer re-certify some of the oldest devices. But call them directly at 1-800-654-7223 to get the actual facts.

All of this applies to SFI certifications ONLY. FIA is a completely different sanctioning body with completely different rules. In the US, they usually accept both ways to certify. In Europe,only FIA rules apply. I am unaware of anyone in the US that performs FIA certifications.

I think I may need to make direct contact with the FIA to get a definitive answer.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 AM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

All of this applies to SFI certifications ONLY. FIA is a completely different sanctioning body with completely different rules. In the US, they usually accept both ways to certify. In Europe,only FIA rules apply. I am unaware of anyone in the US that performs FIA certifications.

I think I may need to make direct contact with the FIA to get a definitive answer.
Simpson HANS manufactures the devices and presumably should be able to answer your questions. Contacting FIA is certainly another approach. The FIA HANS Guide (attached) does not indicate an expiration date, but also does not indicate the device is "good forever". On p13 it indicates, "5. Life of HANS® Always follow the instructions of the manufacturer for the maintenance of the HANS®.", which would seem to suggest Simpson HANS would be a good source for the best answer to your question.

You may find that technically FIA does not currently have an expiration date for HANS certification, but I believe you will find the manufacturer, Simpson HANS, recommends tethers be replaced and the device inspected every 5 years. I recently had my SFI/FIA certified device recertified. It is an important safety device. If SFI thinks window nets are only good for 2 years and FIA thinks polyester window nets are only good for 5 years, I am willing to spend a few dollars to replace the HANS tethers and have it recertified every 5 years. The HANS tether is nowhere near as robust as my window and right side nets, and at an intuitive level I am much more concerned about the condition of my HANS than my nets. My out of date nets still felt strong enough to stop a truck let alone keep my hand and arm in the car. You may reach a different conclusion. It is "your neck", literally.
Attached Images
Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Simpson HANS manufactures the devices and presumably should be able to answer your questions. Contacting FIA is certainly another approach. The FIA HANS Guide (attached) does not indicate an expiration date, but also does not indicate the device is "good forever". On p13 it indicates, "5. Life of HANS® Always follow the instructions of the manufacturer for the maintenance of the HANS®.", which would seem to suggest Simpson HANS would be a good source for the best answer to your question.

You may find that technically FIA does not currently have an expiration date for HANS certification, but I believe you will find the manufacturer, Simpson HANS, recommends tethers be replaced and the device inspected every 5 years. I recently had my SFI/FIA certified device recertified. It is an important safety device. If SFI thinks window nets are only good for 2 years and FIA thinks polyester window nets are only good for 5 years, I am willing to spend a few dollars to replace the HANS tethers and have it recertified every 5 years. The HANS tether is nowhere near as robust as my window and right side nets, and at an intuitive level I am much more concerned about the condition of my HANS than my nets. My out of date nets still felt strong enough to stop a truck let alone keep my hand and arm in the car. You may reach a different conclusion. It is "your neck", literally.
Agreed, and I replaced my tethers less than a year ago. It's the carbon fiber structure that is in question and whether or not the scruts in Italy will allow a device with proper FIA sticker (but no date on it) but an old, expired SFI sticker on the device. (Tethers do have current dating).

Quick Reply: Old HANS device. What parts do I need?