Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road atlanta onboard footage

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

This incident aside, the most important job we have as drivers is to pay attention to the flaggers . And the hardest thing for me at least when I am trying to squeeze out the last tenth is to keep my vision from narrowing.

I have only been to RA once and I didn't even know there was a flag station there so my takeaway is continue to work to be alert to all manned flag stations.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
This incident aside, the most important job we have as drivers is to pay attention to the flaggers . And the hardest thing for me at least when I am trying to squeeze out the last tenth is to keep my vision from narrowing.

I have only been to RA once and I didn't even know there was a flag station there so my takeaway is continue to work to be alert to all manned flag stations.
Great post and really the most important takeaway of all, at least of this thread.

I’ll add that most professional sanctioning bodies have information that allows instant determination of whether or not a driver slowed IN A ZONE defined as being covered by an “active” yellow. If a driver is found not to have slowed (by a longer sector time) within that area, then they suffer sanctions. Not possible in amateur competition, but that puts a greater impetus on the competitors to do right.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Pro or amateur, it is incumbent upon all of us to find every corner station of every track we drive. The one in question at RA is plainly visible every time we enter pit lane. Not knowing it even exists is problematic, to say the least.

And it is incumbent upon all of us to heed all flags shown. Period. Full stop. End of discussion.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

you can see why they dont build tracks like this anymore...
Old 04-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Nope. With a waving yellow and a debris flag, I would be thinking that there are at least parts on the track. Anything on the track in 12 is not a good thing. I would have been coasting down the hill until I could see through the corner.
Exactly.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:46 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Pro or amateur, it is incumbent upon all of us to find every corner station of every track we drive. The one in question at RA is plainly visible every time we enter pit lane. Not knowing it even exists is problematic, to say the least.

And it is incumbent upon all of us to heed all flags shown. Period. Full stop. End of discussion.
I agree. That is a bit of a wake up call for me at least.

My standard protocol on out laps under standing yellow is to wave at all corner workers. So it is entirely possible that I acknowledged this corner initially but I am fairly certain that on hot laps that my eyes were not directed towards this station but something I plan to correct next time out.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Man, situations like this one scare the sh*t out of me. I haven't driven RA, but for high speed turns with limited visibility and/or that have high risk of bad consequences from lifting (e.g. leading into the esses at Watkins Glen), I very explicitly look for the flag station preceding the turn as soon as I can see it and make sure I get a clear view of it, so I have time to back out of it if needed before it's tool late (and hopefully reduce chances of being rear ended in the process). Peter's reference to the Dale/Barbazza IMSA incident at this turn is right on. That was an ugly-*** crash that badly injured two pro drivers and ended their driving careers, and totaled at least three cars. I'm not sure whether they had the benefit of advance warning. This situation easily could have ended up like that one. At a Club Race!

Sounds and looks like some heads up reactions on the part of a number of drivers to not wreck or collect the stationary yellow car. The drivers can be commended for that. But more acknowledgement of and reaction to flags can only help avoid these kinds of close calls.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:52 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 78 Posts

Going back to my comment earlier in the thread..from a track safety improvement standpoint I think it would benefit everybody to have flag lights directly overhead on the bridge as you pass under it. Anything to help reduce the chances of incidents on that downhill turn would be welcomed. Perhaps illuminate the flag indicator sign that already exists under the bridge...
Old 04-11-2018, 01:12 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

When I started PCA DE years ago (had already raced a non PCA series), my sign off instructor asked me random questions about flag stands after I had already passed the one in question.

I was in a hard to handle 944T and he would sometimes quiz me when I had my hands the most full, being totally preoccupied with braking, etc.

At the time, I thought it strange that he focused so much on that aspect.

Last year at Road Atlanta, SP1,2, 3 enduro, my son started 4th in class and passed, on track (not pit stop fluke) all other SP2 competitors.
Worked really hard for 1st, studied the leader for lap after lap and ended up making him commit down the hill at issue here and nabbed him for position.
He pulled a good gap once out front and came upon an E 911 that he was setting up to lap.....alongside on the pit straight when yellow flew at T1.
He backed off and filed in behind E car.
An Sp3 968 and the previous leader of SP2 class sailed on by both of them and didn't let off the gas until the third waiving yellow.

My son approached they guy who denied any wrongdoing and ended up taking the win from my son.

I sent him video of the error when we got home as I had to acquire it from the E car via a well known Texas based E 911 car builder.

I guess in his mind (the red mist), he figured that my son had run him down by 1/4 lap distance, remained in his rear deck space for 10 laps, set him up like a rookie and proceeded to pull away at +2.0/sec a lap just to slow and hand him the lead....

T
Old 04-11-2018, 02:12 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I struggle with many things on track, one of which is keeping my eyes up. Certainly, easier said than done.

I'm glad the OP posted his video thus starting this discussion as it will serve as a reminder to all.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:14 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have an absolute paranoia of missing a yellow flag and hitting a stopped car or a safety vehicle (or marshal when racing in Europe).

For me, I don't have to remember to look for them no matter how hard I'm pushing -- I simply drive 100% my fastest and hardest when I 100% certain there isn't a yellow being shown at the next station. And I purposely drive as hard as I can on all laps (including in and out), so I'm always naturally trying to confirm there isn't a yellow -- instead of assuming I'll notice it out of the corner of my eye. I wouldn't go so far as to say I completely "look" at the station (takes to long), but I focus enough on my peripheral vision that I'm 100% certain there isn't a standing or waving yellow flag (or any other flag for that matter).

Since I started racing in 2011, I don't think I've ever missed a yellow flag either at a club race or professional race. I came super close at COTA during the PWC race when I undercut a Mustang exiting turn 2 entering the esses -- the crew came on the radio literally rite as I turned in for the esses and said "full course caution!" and I thought I had missed it. I spent the entire FCY period being a whiney brat (sorry Chris!) on the radio asking the team to confirm if I should give the position back incase I missed the flag (I had made up so many positions I really didn't want a penalty). The next flag station in the esses had the yellows out. After talking with the officials after the race, it turns out I made the pass rite as it was announced over the pit lane but before the marshal actually had the time to pull out the flag....

Anyway, just thought I'd point out how I approach corner stations/flags in general incase it helps anyone else go faster too. Be safe out there and watch out for your fellow competitors!

-mike
Old 04-11-2018, 02:47 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have an absolute paranoia of missing a yellow flag and hitting a stopped car or a safety vehicle (or marshal when racing in Europe).

For me, I don't have to remember to look for them no matter how hard I'm pushing -- I simply drive 100% my fastest and hardest when I 100% certain there isn't a yellow being shown at the next station. And I purposely drive as hard as I can on all laps (including in and out), so I'm always naturally trying to confirm there isn't a yellow -- instead of assuming I'll notice it out of the corner of my eye. I wouldn't go so far as to say I completely "look" at the station (takes to long), but I focus enough on my peripheral vision that I'm 100% certain there isn't a standing or waving yellow flag (or any other flag for that matter).

Since I started racing in 2011, I don't think I've ever missed a yellow flag either at a club race or professional race. I came super close at COTA during the PWC race when I undercut a Mustang exiting turn 2 entering the esses -- the crew came on the radio literally rite as I turned in for the esses and said "full course caution!" and I thought I had missed it. I spent the entire FCY period being a whiney brat (sorry Chris!) on the radio asking the team to confirm if I should give the position back incase I missed the flag (I had made up so many positions I really didn't want a penalty). The next flag station in the esses had the yellows out. After talking with the officials after the race, it turns out I made the pass rite as it was announced over the pit lane but before the marshal actually had the time to pull out the flag....

Anyway, just thought I'd point out how I approach corner stations/flags in general incase it helps anyone else go faster too. Be safe out there and watch out for your fellow competitors!

-mike
This is good stuff. The way is should be.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
This is good stuff. The way is should be.
Yep.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
To add to the situation, there was a standing yellow in 10A. I looked and saw nothing around. Not sure why that was there and it caused me to wonder what was going on as I crossed under the bridge.
It is pretty common when you have a high risk situation for the waving yellow flag station to be "backed" by a standing yellow at the previous station.

West
Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
It is pretty common when you have a high risk situation for the waving yellow flag station to be "backed" by a standing yellow at the previous station.

West
^^THIS^^

Quick Reply: Road atlanta onboard footage