Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road atlanta onboard footage

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 04:00 PM
CL944135I
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind, that I have not been to Road Atlanta personally, but it seems real weird that there is no flag stand near the bottom of the hill on the inside, where you are likely looking through that corner. In the video the apex and track out look pretty blind with the walls and yellow barrels (why yellow? only colour that could be worse is red) on the inside. I say this, since it is 8 seconds from when you can see the yellow at the top of the hill until the crashed car comes into frame. That is a huge distance for a blind corner exit. Is it easier to see the start/finish stand in real life than in the video?
Old 04-09-2018, 05:05 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

excitement starts at 13:00

Old 04-09-2018, 05:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
excitement starts at 13:00

https://youtu.be/MSUsTysnbcY

nice recovery!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:16 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
...When topping a blind high speed corner like Turn 11/12 at Road Atlanta is means to back out of the throttle so you can reduce your pace. To see the waving flag and think it’s not waving fast enough to worry is a human mistake. And a human mistake is what usually leads to more crashes cars...
This part here is exactly why many of us think there should have been a double yellow. It is the perfect scenario to take the judgement out of the racers hands for their safety. There were several near misses before the car that hit the yellow car, including one driver that drove on the grass between the yellow car and the wall. As I said, when I went by there was a stationary yellow and a debris flag - that does not indicate a car in the middle of the track. I did back down some, especially as I was being told to stay right on the radio, but I was still surprised to see a car in the track based on the flags.

Also, if you are one of the ones that think the track did a fine job of signaling on this incident, answer this question - next time will they do the exact same or immediately go to double yellow or black all? I can already answer this question as I was there for the enduros on Sunday and the they made much different calls on the incidents in those races.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by certz

Also, if you are one of the ones that think the track did a fine job of signaling on this incident, answer this question - next time will they do the exact same or immediately go to double yellow or black all? I can already answer this question as I was there for the enduros on Sunday and the they made much different calls on the incidents in those races.
Not trying to argue with it but there is a chain of command before any race goes full yellow. In one of my posts in the thread I did ask who makes the call to go full yellow in a PCA Club Race weekend? Is it the corner workers or is it the chief steward of the event? The workers at the bridge in turn 11 only do what they are radioed to do. So I think the better question to ask is whose job was it during the weekend to make the call?

i do agree with everyone here that with a car stopped dead in the middle of the corner then the first thought is to go full course yellow if not black flag the race (red flag is another topic and another discussion). But what I feel like is that everyone is jumping on the corner workers when they might not be the ones at fault. The fault is within whoever the responsibility of making the decisions to relay to the corner workers. If it was with an official at Road Atlanta then let’s figure it out and do things better. If it was an official within PCA Club Racing then let’s do the same thing and get better results out of this event.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I don't believe PCA uses waving double yellow (like formula 1) There is only : yellow (caution), waving yellow(extreme caution), double yellow (full course caution).

Waving yellow is the most extreme local caution. Red or black do not denote caution, they are instructional.

Or did I miss something.. here..
Old 04-10-2018, 02:18 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
I don't believe PCA uses waving double yellow (like formula 1) There is only : yellow (caution), waving yellow(extreme caution), double yellow (full course caution).

Waving yellow is the most extreme local caution. Red or black do not denote caution, they are instructional.

Or did I miss something.. here..
Nope. With a waving yellow and a debris flag, I would be thinking that there are at least parts on the track. Anything on the track in 12 is not a good thing. I would have been coasting down the hill until I could see through the corner.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

I have no idea nor any opinion of whether the track or anyone else did a good job of flag selection due to the incident. My only point is that we all have the responsibility to drive the flags that are shown, regardless of whether we feel they are justified or not.

That did not happen in this case.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

After Sebs and a half a dozen other cars close calls I wold think that the tower should have called a full course yellow or even a red flag immediately . The car was disabled and was not able to move from the track surface. I was radioed that there was an issue and until I was at the bottom of the hill I could not see the disabled car. To make it clear the car was hit by another racer after Sebs near miss.There was a lag between the time the full course yellow and the hit by Doug. As John stated, in the later race when there was a serious wreck in the same spot, the race was immediately red flagged.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:46 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's time for RA to add a light system at least at the bridge before cresting the hill. When I'm in traffic & getting passed at the bridge on the inside I don't always have the time or peripheral vision to see the station on the left. The Pro's may not have a problem seeing the station at the top of the hill but the amateurs do. If this was a one time incident that would one thing but it isn't. Happened twice in fairly recent HPDE's in the "fast" run group.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Some of the attitudes shown in this thread sort of boggle the mind...
Old 04-10-2018, 11:39 AM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dave, I can understand this statement, but I think you needed to be on the track to fully appreciate the frustration from our point of view - which is what I think you are reading here, frustration, not that we are all out there ignoring yellow flags. Three screenshots below are the first indication there was an issue - yes that flag is waving, but I do not recall it waving (in my minds eye it was stationary) as that station is viewed out of the corner of my eye because of the attention the track demands at this point. The second pic is the first time I see the car on the track - anyone that has been to this track knows at this point if you are at speed you are committed (I am not saying you should be at speed due to the yellow flag, but this is far into a blind corner). Lastly, the position of the car on the track - to many of this, this is what warranted a full course yellow, not a local yellow, to bring everyone to pace car speeds.

One other point to debate - a local yellow, whether it is waving or stationary, indicates caution ahead, but it also indicates racing will resume in the immediate future - whether that is after you pass the incident or at the next green/clear flag station. With a car in this position I do not think that should have been the case.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+964. Unreal Dave. Truly unreal.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

John, your attitude is fine. Not one of the ones I was opining upon...
Old 04-10-2018, 12:05 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I am 100 % with Dave here!
As I indicated in the previous post, we (racers) all should be mortified if we either miss a flag or fail to heed it. There is no excuse! Race control also failed in this instance, there is no question. However, that is not a good enough reason to deflect from the racers' responsibility. In this case, the lead cars did not slow one bit in spite of the waving yellow! On turn 11-12, you don't need to slow down that much to be in control...just a longer lift to unload the car, and you can swerve and stop or whatever. And to be blasé about it (missing the yellow or not heeding), is doing a disservice to all of us.

I think we all can make representations to the PCA CR leadership about doing a better job on their side separately, but we should use this forum (and this thread) to learn from this incident. That way, we will all be safer.

The other thing is that the racer in the yellow car was in first full year of club racing, and I know personally that he is done with PCA club racing! His wife saw everything from the stands and she cant believe what she saw...the near misses and all.

I think the racers here, who have been around a while, have a responsibility to make it safer for the new comers and set an example, if not maintain a good etiquette. I would like to think that is part of the spirit of club racing!

Quick Reply: Road atlanta onboard footage