Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race pads, when do you change them out

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:38 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Agree with Mark. You certainly can think the answer is pads when new pads really help disguise other problems like Matt posted about. Pads and brake fluid are obvious low hanging fruit to solve problems. Sometimes you add in ducting and good things happen.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
IME it depends on the pads...PFC pads I can run down to fairly thin limits and they do just fine...Hawk and Pagid got cruddy at 50%
+1

Tried Hawk HT10s years back in a BMW and found them chunking with about 2/3 worn--went to Ctechs and very happy.

Gary
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ExMB - my back plates on PFC 08's are greater than 5- on 0776 0817 44 . None of mine less that 5.35 to 5.53.- Not all the same thickness out of the box new. Interesting. So some pads have more material than others

Last edited by Gofishracing; 04-08-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
Your brake system is hydraulic and pedal height and firmness stay the same regardless of the wear on the pads.
This may be true to a degree but the pad not only provides the friction for braking, it also acts as an insulator helping reduce heat transfer to the pistons. The thinner the pad, the more heat gets transferred through the backing plate to the pistons, increasing the risk of boiling your brake fluid causing soft or long pedal or in bad cases seal failure. As a result, Peter's previously mentioned "when the pad thickness is same or less than backing plate is a good answer - sure it will keep braking no problem in street driving - but with aggressive track or race driving you risk problems. Further, before an Enduro I prefer to go to new pads for the extra insulation of the thicker pad, and "finish up" the old pads in sprints or DE. I cooked the LF caliper seals in an Enduro a few years ago - driver's side of car was covered in brake fluid and reservoir was all but empty at end of race - a few more laps and I wouldn't have had brakes... Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Race pads, when do you change them out