Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overtakes in PWC COTA GTS race #2...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:47 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Mike, PLEASE help me understand how the TCR cars had the same time as Sofro who won the GTS class race2. I know touring car has always been suprisingly quick over the years, but the level the GTS cars have reached is amazing. how are honda civics able to post near the same times?
Old 04-07-2018, 09:10 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Mike, PLEASE help me understand how the TCR cars had the same time as Sofro who won the GTS class race2. I know touring car has always been suprisingly quick over the years, but the level the GTS cars have reached is amazing. how are honda civics able to post near the same times?
TCR cars have more aero. The night before the first practice at St. Petersburg (first race of the year for GTS), they added 50-80kg's to every car except the Cayman and added a massive 8-10mm increase in minimum ride height again for everyone except the Cayman.

Problem with the ride height is none of the cars were developed to be run this high. I can't speak for anyone else, but we're struggling with balance on the Audi because it just doesn't work being so high off the ground and it makes the splitter and diffuser basically useless (which also makes the rear wing ineffective).

I talked with some folks in the series at COTA though and they're aware of the issues and working on it.

-mike
Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This BOP thing still makes absolutely zero sense to me. One wonders why they don’t apply BOP to drivers too. Like, the fastest driver gets to drive with one eye covered and random electric shocks and bursts of piercing noise applied to his helmet, to distract him and to slow him down. Reminds me of Harrison Bergeron:

Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
Started on the last row (36th) after getting put into the wall at the start of race #1 on Saturday and not setting a lap time.

The Flying Lizard crew worked until 3AM Sunday repairing the car (all 4 corners, uprights and rear axles.. luckily gearbox was ok). No hardship lap and we started on slicks in damp conditions so I was probably overly cautious the first 5 or 6 laps. Finished 10th overall and 3rd in class (Am).

Anyway, thought some of you might enjoy it! Virginia is our next race at the end of April.... at least now I know what cars will do stupid things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs826XOEx58

-mike
Nice drive Mike, sorry about that Race 1 incident.....

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 04-08-2018, 11:34 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Love that pass and box out on the McLaren in 12 and terrific inside multi-car passing at 15.

Tough break... thanks for sharing
Old 04-08-2018, 06:25 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
TCR cars have more aero. The night before the first practice at St. Petersburg (first race of the year for GTS), they added 50-80kg's to every car except the Cayman and added a massive 8-10mm increase in minimum ride height again for everyone except the Cayman.

Problem with the ride height is none of the cars were developed to be run this high. I can't speak for anyone else, but we're struggling with balance on the Audi because it just doesn't work being so high off the ground and it makes the splitter and diffuser basically useless (which also makes the rear wing ineffective).

I talked with some folks in the series at COTA though and they're aware of the issues and working on it.

-mike
I did see the weight difference, that is huge, but heck, we are talking honda civics!!!! going against a R8? at near 500hp? we all know how the old Audi RS6 did at a rewards added weight up to 3440lbs at road america. back in the day in WCGT......2:14s, while the touring cars were in the 2:24s at a best time. so i did notice most of the GTS cars being in the 3200 to 3300lb range while the TCR class was in the 2500 to 2800lb range. was there some super power adders that the TRC cars had going on. i mean, com'mon, Volkswagen Golf GTis , and Civics runnning with Mustangs and Camaros?
Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
I did see the weight difference, that is huge, but heck, we are talking honda civics!!!! going against a R8? at near 500hp? we all know how the old Audi RS6 did at a rewards added weight up to 3440lbs at road america. back in the day in WCGT......2:14s, while the touring cars were in the 2:24s at a best time. so i did notice most of the GTS cars being in the 3200 to 3300lb range while the TCR class was in the 2500 to 2800lb range. was there some super power adders that the TRC cars had going on. i mean, com'mon, Volkswagen Golf GTis , and Civics runnning with Mustangs and Camaros?
C'mon Mark, you should know better.....the TCR cars don't compete agains the GT4 cars, they are separate classed cars with a completely different class of build. And like Mike said, we are heavily restricted in the GT4 class with the Audi as they want to keep the BOP focused on the Cayman MR Clubsport. But if you were able to pull the restrictor out of the Audi, drop the ride height and remove the weight that we have to run, these cars could run 2:12's at COTA, they are very capable!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:27 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-GMG
C'mon Mark, you should know better.....the TCR cars don't compete agains the GT4 cars, they are separate classed cars with a completely different class of build. And like Mike said, we are heavily restricted in the GT4 class with the Audi as they want to keep the BOP focused on the Cayman MR Clubsport. But if you were able to pull the restrictor out of the Audi, drop the ride height and remove the weight that we have to run, these cars could run 2:12's at COTA, they are very capable!
Well, there there you go! .. it's the restriction and the weight. It just looks funny to know how fast the GTS cars are , regardless of some "restrictions" and to see a civic or GTi pos near tthe same times... dont you think the mods on the Civics and GTIs, should be talked about? its not that the GTS cars are slowed down, its the TCR cars that seem to be faster than the old Touring cars! I guess a little more power and real slicks can do that!

Quick Reply: Overtakes in PWC COTA GTS race #2...