Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any place to test drive nonstreet legal car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any place to test drive nonstreet legal car?

Bought a bmw z3 track car. Caged, 1.9 liter motor, 140hp on a great day, gutted, no headlights, has sponsor stickers on it, etc. Kind of a Miata alternative. Bought it as it wasn't particularly expensive, and cage is beautifully done. Supposedly a caged car from birth, from 1996. Wanted a hpde car to have my kids learn on, and something for me to putz with while the 930 motor is being refreshed. High powered expensive cars were out.

my kids are pretty tall, spent several weeks lowering the seats, etc.

Plan on having the kids try autocross with it in a couple weeks. Problem is, I have never driven it. Bought in Chicago in the middle of an ice storm. Car was previously used by a track school for teaching and as a rental. I am sure it has been used heavily, but looks well maintained. Has some dents, dings, etc. a garage queen it isn't. Plan to fix the body and do a respray, but want to make sure it works first.

i would really like to at least drive it 20 minutes before trailering it to a track. If something major is off, better to find out at home. On visual inspection all looks good... Pads look new, rotors new, brake lines look new, tires 2 years old or so.

any idea where this can be accomplished? Legally? Maybe?

was thinking possibly a shopping center late at night?

highschool parking lot?

i don't need to go over 20 mph. Just want to do a quick spin somewhere... Make sure the gearbox works, not pulling to either side, brakes ok, etc.

any ideas?

or just take it to the autocross and grab my tools?

i am located near Kenosha/Milwaukee if that makes a difference....
Old 03-31-2018, 09:06 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Why are you asking on here? You know where you are, the places, the legal. Just because someone might have a place where they got away with it doesn't mean it''ll translate; unless you're willing to transport and at the same time set an example for your kids.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by ExMB

Why are you asking on here? You know where you are, the places, the legal. Just because someone might have a place where they got away with it doesn't mean it''ll translate; unless you're willing to transport and at the same time set an example for your kids.
Not trying to upset the apple cart. Sincerely figured someone may have a reasonable idea I didn't think of that was practical...
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Many tracks have test days. You pay 150bucks or so go with a list of objectives wear your ssfety gear and have at it. These are not days to for personal bests. No flaggers no ambulance etc. These are for testing.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts

Also if you have a shop with a dyno, that is a safe legal way to test a bunch of the car.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:46 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by bpu699
any idea where this can be accomplished? Legally? Maybe?

was thinking possibly a shopping center late at night?

highschool parking lot?

Legally? Definitely not on a public road or somebody else's private property. Trailer it to a track day.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:55 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Depending on where you live and how well you get along with your neighbors. I live in a small subdivion and take trip around the block never over 15 or 20 mph and in the middle of the afternoon.
For serious troubleshooting though, a test day at the track is the only place.

Trending Topics

Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

If you are taking it to an autocross, you should be able to drive it around for 10-15 minutes wherever it is being held before it starts with no issues. Not ideal but it's not like autocross is expensive and if something makes you think the car isn't ready you aren't out much.

I get the desire to shake it down before hand but what are you really going to learn driving it conservatively on public roads anyway? If it ran and drove from the trailer to the garage you already know that.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:27 AM
bpu699

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Many tracks have test days. You pay 150bucks or so go with a list of objectives wear your ssfety gear and have at it. These are not days to for personal bests. No flaggers no ambulance etc. These are for testing.
I thought of that... Road America and other local tracks only allow you to schedule a track testing day if you are a registered racer for the upcoming weekend...
Old 04-02-2018, 02:22 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Know anyone that might have dealer or transport plates you could use?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

If you’re just going to be putzing around at low speeds verifying basic things like the power steering isn’t shot and the transmission isn’t in shambles you might be able to find a M-F business complex or industrial/manufacturing area with a huge parking lot and go there on a weekend. Since it’s a public area any street car can do it legally you would be able to as well. Just happens that you can’t exit the lot directly onto the public street.

An autocross sounds like it would be a better test, and of course a test day too if one is scheduled.

Personally for what you’re describing I’d probably just drive up and down my own street a few times since you’re only thinking to go at 15-20mph. Folks will sometimes do that with go-karts, dirt bikes, ATVs, and the like, not too different in my mind. (I suppose if it doesn’t have a muffler that might change things.)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:26 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
Folks will sometimes do that with go-karts, dirt bikes, ATVs, and the like, not too different in my mind. (I suppose if it doesn’t have a muffler that might change things.)
Quoted for truth. Also, unloading a car from a trailer on private property (not yours) can be a bit suspicious. If you're determined to do it legally, best to find a garage with a dealer plate, or show up two hours early for an autocross and offer to help set up.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:15 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

See if there is a circle track in your vicinity that would rent you an hour to do a few laps
Old 04-04-2018, 03:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

you can get a day permit from the DMV in california for free saying that you are driving it to a shop to get ready for compliance.. you might want to try that.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

My bigger fear is insurance. Would your insurance cover you if something were to happen? I can handle a $100 ticket, I don't think I can pocket a 1mm lawsuit if I accidentally injure someone.

Quick Reply: Any place to test drive nonstreet legal car?