Sponsored by:

Trac-Com Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:37 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Trac-Com Review

Spent the weekend riding right seat with a lot of folks and had a chance to put my new Trac-Com through its paces.

Pros:
* Heavy duty
* dual volume control
* easy to use

Cons:
* Too quiet - at full volume and with the mic touching the lips, it's just not loud enough.
* Interference - I had more than one driver complain about this. With an cellphone in a pocket, it's unusable. With no cell phones, it's tolerable, but still distracting to the driver.

I was hoping this would be an alternative to the infamous Chatterbox, but the relatively low volume and distracting interference is a deal-breaker.

Curious if any others have used one and could share their perspectives.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden
Spent the weekend riding right seat with a lot of folks and had a chance to put my new Trac-Com through its paces.

Pros:
* Heavy duty
* dual volume control
* easy to use

Cons:
* Too quiet - at full volume and with the mic touching the lips, it's just not loud enough.
* Interference - I had more than one driver complain about this. With an cellphone in a pocket, it's unusable. With no cell phones, it's tolerable, but still distracting to the driver.

I was hoping this would be an alternative to the infamous Chatterbox, but the relatively low volume and distracting interference is a deal-breaker.

Curious if any others have used one and could share their perspectives.
Similar to my experience. It sounds like the unit from Speedcom will be the best bet for people.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:38 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I got a Peltor a while back and could not be happier, made my own lollipops before the new ones came our.....greed piece of equipment though in caymens there is a little feedback when looking forward, most likely from them mic......
Old 03-28-2018, 11:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

The rosso unit I have is excellent. Very loud, great digital noise reduction. Someone really needs to bring them to the US - the intercom tech available in europe is on a different level. The Stilo DG10 is also very good, aside from the occasional snafus with it connecting to your phone over bluetooth.

I can't believe I suffered through chatterbox crap for 10 years of instructing.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a chance to use one of these a couple of weeks ago in my GT4. I have race headers on the car but still using the OE muffler. I had no problems hearing after we figured out that the the ear piece needs to be facing the proper direction. We first had tried it with the speaker facing away from the ear because visually you cannot tell the difference.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
I got a Peltor a while back and could not be happier, made my own lollipops before the new ones came our.....greed piece of equipment though in caymens there is a little feedback when looking forward, most likely from them mic......
I have a Peltor and it's awesome. I would like to try one of the Rosso units just for comparison. It is cool that Speedcom is making IMSA jacked student sets now too.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:06 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

My review mirrors the OP's exactly. A lot of interference in certain cars and not loud enough but I like the headsets and solid connectors/build quality.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:02 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, same thoughts overall. I bought one at VIR a couple weeks ago from the guys at TMI and brought it back to exchange after a session with a student. Had the same issue with the second unit and it turned out to be some weird interference with their car (gen2 Cayman wPDK)--basically a high-pitched whining noise that changed pitch with the RPMs. No issues though in other cars and better than the Nady unit I had... It could definitely be a little bit louder.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
The rosso unit I have is excellent. Very loud, great digital noise reduction. Someone really needs to bring them to the US - the intercom tech available in europe is on a different level. The Stilo DG10 is also very good, aside from the occasional snafus with it connecting to your phone over bluetooth.

I can't believe I suffered through chatterbox crap for 10 years of instructing.
My Rosso works great.

Mike
Old 03-29-2018, 09:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a Rosso inbound from Stable (IMSA connectivity) and a Trac-Com student boom. Ordered a generic Peltor helmet wiring kit (with IMSA plug) that I hope will work to outfit my helmet.

We'll see - I'll report back.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

The Trac-com is an improvement over the Chatterbox.

We also offer Speedcom's new system - the volume output of Speedcom's intercom versus the trac-com is much higher and also sound quality is much better. There is no interference as long as you have a good power source or as long as you keep fresh batteries in the unit. If the batteries start to go dead, the unit may pick up a bit of alternator whine but if you replace the batteries with new ones, the noise goes away. Basically if the voltage drops, the unit cannot filer out the alternator noise.

Speedcom Communicator

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-30-2018, 01:23 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
The Trac-com is an improvement over the Chatterbox.

We also offer Speedcom's new system - the volume output of Speedcom's intercom versus the trac-com is much higher and also sound quality is much better. There is no interference as long as you have a good power source or as long as you keep fresh batteries in the unit. If the batteries start to go dead, the unit may pick up a bit of alternator whine but if you replace the batteries with new ones, the noise goes away. Basically if the voltage drops, the unit cannot filer out the alternator noise.

Speedcom Communicator
Who's the OEM on the speedcom unit?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:57 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Who's the OEM on the speedcom unit?
OEM on SPEEDCOM is SPEEDCOM out of Florida.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 03-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Those spark plugs are mighty close in the Cayman, I'd found the older s2 and military mic does better in a cayman than the s9 but you still get a slight high pitched wine, turn your head 90deg it goes away

Originally Posted by cmac
Yeah, same thoughts overall. I bought one at VIR a couple weeks ago from the guys at TMI and brought it back to exchange after a session with a student. Had the same issue with the second unit and it turned out to be some weird interference with their car (gen2 Cayman wPDK)--basically a high-pitched whining noise that changed pitch with the RPMs. No issues though in other cars and better than the Nady unit I had... It could definitely be a little bit louder.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:42 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The trac com ear pieces are very thick too. If you still slide the earpiece up into your helmet you won't like the trac-com. I had it and sold it due to that.

Quick Reply: Trac-Com Review