Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best track day car for 100-120k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best track day car for 100-120k?

Ok!So this is a frequent topic in my mind .What do you track junkies think ?If you had a 100 to 120 k to spend what would you buy?Criteria would be speed ,handing ,reliability and safety!What are your suggestions?HOM
Old 03-24-2018, 10:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

You left out running costs, as the initial cost of the car doesn't mean much. For just DE and everyday use, the latest model GT3 or Turbo in that $$ range with a roll bar and seats/harnesses would be my choice...
Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
Ok!So this is a frequent topic in my mind .What do you track junkies think ?If you had a 100 to 120 k to spend what would you buy?Criteria would be speed ,handing ,reliability and safety!What are your suggestions?HOM
That's a lot of money for a track only, track day car. Track prepped GT3's are close to that price for the 997 generation, a 991 maybe a bit more and has the benefit of PDK, which cures the weak spot in the 997 (manual transmission). Otherwise maybe a track prepped GT4, or outside of that depending on what you like a ZL1 Camaro or a C7 Vette, but these are probably a lot less than you are budgeting, LOL.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:43 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend about half of that on an used Elan NP01 Prototype- real sequential gearbox- Miata maintenance cost. Another Rennlister just bought one this week!
Name:  oIEdyVil.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  31.3 KB
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Is it a "Track Day Only" , tow to the track car the OP wanted?
Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

A GT4 clubsport if it's a dedicated track car and you plan to trailer it. GT4 street car if you need to drive it. They are lower maint than a GT3 and no pesky factory defects to worry about.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Drive to track or tow? For frequent tracking, I’d want a fully caged car.

You don’t state for maintenance and support cost to be a criteria. If maintenance and support cost is no object, a 997.2 Cup would be in your price range. For most dedicated track cars, buying it is the cheapest part.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Radical
Old 03-24-2018, 12:53 PM
DoxCroc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
GT4 street car if you need to drive it. no pesky factory defects to worry about.
As long as you stay away from early 2016 builds unless the transmission has already been replaced.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:18 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Drive to track or tow? For frequent tracking, I’d want a fully caged car.

You don’t state for maintenance and support cost to be a criteria. If maintenance and support cost is no object, a 997.2 Cup would be in your price range. For most dedicated track cars, buying it is the cheapest part.

Unfortunately this is completely true... here's a quick example for "only" $125k.
2002 Dallara Indy Car

http://race-cars.com/carsales/other/...79488425ss.htm

And there are many others...

Of course an amateur (like me) would be reasonably likely to wreck it before having to do a lot of maintenance so maybe it's really not that different...

I have heard of a few guys that took a roller like that and stuck a SBC in there. Still only good until you run it off course or have any of the many expensive one-off parts time out.

For me cars like the NP-01, the Cayman GT4 CS, a 996 Cup (pre-sequential), a spec series race car, or an SCCA prototype with money for spares and tires would be the short list. An ex-CN car (ideally with Honda power to keep costs manageable) or a Radical would be on the table too.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:22 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Let's summarize:

- what's your maintenance budget (be realistic)
- are you towing or driving to the track
- bias about brand, preference
- cage or not

Other decision point:

- is your goal to truly learn how to drive better or just drive for enjoyment on the track?

IF....

- your goal is skill development
- you care about safety (cage)
- you will trailer to the track (or have someone else do it for you)

.....I would get something like these (no affiliation). Treat it as a tool. Get data. Get coaching. Learn how to roll it into the corner fast. Get within 0.5-1 sec of a pro. Then decide what to do next

https://showroom.windingroad.com/listings/product/3549/

https://showroom.windingroad.com/listings/product/3535/
Old 03-24-2018, 03:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Let's summarize:

- what's your maintenance budget (be realistic)
- are you towing or driving to the track
- bias about brand, preference
- cage or not

Other decision point:

- is your goal to truly learn how to drive better or just drive for enjoyment on the track?

IF....

- your goal is skill development
- you care about safety (cage)
- you will trailer to the track (or have someone else do it for you)

.....I would get something like these (no affiliation). Treat it as a tool. Get data. Get coaching. Learn how to roll it into the corner fast. Get within 0.5-1 sec of a pro. Then decide what to do next

https://showroom.windingroad.com/listings/product/3549/

https://showroom.windingroad.com/listings/product/3535/
Wow, those are a deal! Use the rest of the budget to run whatever you buy as often as possible!

I like purpose built cars, if the $100K-$125K budget stands.

Elan DP-02 IMSA Lights are strong, safe and reasonable to run. Fast, too. Faster than 991.2 GT3 Cups at Sebring for a third the price. And under your budget.

Also, Honda K20/K24 powered Group CN FIA prototype cars like the Norma/Ligier/Wolf, etcetera. No affiliation, but here are some: http://www.auroramotorsports.com/?url=2013ligier-2-2-2
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-24-2018, 05:02 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a very open ended ? A better ? Would be after you purchase your selected vehicle how much are you willing to spend annually to “run” it? Track days very quickly turn into racing and costs go up a lot. As a modest budget person here is my thoughts?

1: street legal drive to track vehicle?
2: not street legal tow to track (much faster cars) with storage issues

not knowing your driving ability my best advice is get a miata...I daily drive a ND and it’s amazing. Spend a little on 4 point bar, harness etc....then upgrade rest as your skills improve..... the single biggest thing you need to invest in is YOU...get coaching, slowly increase your speed....the skill of the driver has a huge impact on running costs....might as well start small and build over time....I learned the most driving spec miata and my old Lemons 928....slow cars force momentum driving....big money early in the game buys big power..& driver suffers....
Old 03-24-2018, 05:12 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That money would get you a good SPB or SM + full race budget for 4 seasons. Best, cheapest, and fastest way to become as fast as you can be.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:34 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.longroadracing.com/globalmx5cupcar.html with the sequential gearbox and supercharger upgrade.

Quick Reply: Best track day car for 100-120k?