Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Shoe - Purpose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 03:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

RJS makes a good low budget shoe. comfy and useful. Very pleased with them.

http://www.jegs.com/p/RJS-Racing-Equ...84160/10002/-1
Old 03-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fumes
mine are made from kangaroo....no sh*t!

KANGAROO!!!
crikey!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:36 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I think they make a huge difference to pedal feel.

As posted above, the RGS ones are good if you want to try a pair and not blow the budget. My pair unfortunately had the sole come quickly unglued - probably could be fixed with some serious cement, but returned them for a refund (Summit).

Now have a sent of perhaps better Simpson Race shoes. If they hold up, they are good too Around a hundred bucks, so worth a shot... they feel very good in the car.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-26-2018, 04:52 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 530 Likes on 284 Posts

I found I can’t drive on the track well with regular sneakers anymore, must use my driving shoes. Better feel on the brake and gas. And I have wide feet.

There are only three points of you that touch the car: hands, butt/backside and feet. You already got new gloves, shoes are next. You’ll be surprised how much of a difference they make....
Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I found I can’t drive on the track well with regular sneakers anymore, must use my driving shoes. Better feel on the brake and gas. And I have wide feet.

There are only three points of you that touch the car: hands, butt/backside and feet. You already got new gloves, shoes are next. You’ll be surprised how much of a difference they make....
Hands, butt, and feet.

Gloves were a much this last weekend when it broke 90* outside.

I stopped by the race shop at the track this weekend and tried on a pair. Not going to happen with my fat feet. It was like a fat man in a small jacket. Since I don't need the fire proof aspect, I will wait on the shoes - OMP makes wide shoes I can buy whenever it's time.

The only thing left on that list is butt. I'm not sure I can justify a new butt at this point.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Fire resistance
Size and shape to better work with close positioned pedals and tight pedal boxes
Foot support for heel and arch (round heel and rigid middle of the sole) to reduce foot fatigue/pain
Thin, flat and non-cushioned sole for better pedal feel
Non-slip rubber for contact with pedals
Oil and fuel resistant sole rubber because you happen to be around cars

For a short HPDE session, any non-bulky shoe that's not too cushioned will work (sorry, Air Jordans), but with longer and/or more frequent use, you come to appreciate feet being more stable, relaxed, not cramping and not on fire.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:14 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Hands, butt, and feet.

Gloves were a much this last weekend when it broke 90* outside.

I stopped by the race shop at the track this weekend and tried on a pair. Not going to happen with my fat feet. It was like a fat man in a small jacket. Since I don't need the fire proof aspect, I will wait on the shoes - OMP makes wide shoes I can buy whenever it's time.

The only thing left off that list is butt. I'm not sure I can justify a new butt at this point.
This and I would humbly put tires first. On a track for what ever event, I need to be in these at a minimum, otherwise it just seems weird and unbalanced.

Gloves And shoes of course.

Tires, but, hands, feet. If any of these feel out of the process than I will as well.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:27 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 262 Posts

Been wearing Adidas Stan Smiths (the original hard, flat-soled version) since the beginning. They've gone in and out of production but are available again, so I just bought a spare pair as my current ones are kinda tired. Nothin' like a pair of old, well-worn shoes tho'

Gary
Old 06-22-2021, 11:51 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
As a newbie to regular track driving, I hate showing up with more gear than my skill level...
With the right attitude that isn't possible. Especially if that extra gear is safety equipment. About the only think I can think of that could be bad in terms of "extra equipment" is full on slicks for a newbie, but even that is mitigated by attitude.

With respect to the OP, I wish my feet were not so wide - very hard to find a racing shoe that fits me. When I go shopping it looks like all racers have ballerina feet. Although not fire resistant, bowling shoes look like they would be good too for feel.

Last edited by TXE36; 06-22-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:33 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

I used minimalist trail running shoes (Merrell Vapors) before I got Sparco driving shoes. Frankly, I don't find the Sparcos to be much of an improvement in feel or performance, only a theoretical benefit for their added fire resistance.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,846 Likes on 1,675 Posts

I can't drive any of the LMP cars or sports racing cars without them....
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: Driving Shoe - Purpose?