Sponsored by:

track tire pressure for Michelin Super Sports

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts
Default track tire pressure for Michelin Super Sports

The unthinkable has happened: Living in Northern CA I only book trackdays where it's not going to rain. And that is mid-March to mid-October
I am driving Thunderhill this weekend and thanks to climate change it looks like it will be wet. I don't trailer, meaning for the first time in many years I'll be tracking my Michelin Super Sports.
Does anyone have an idea what pressure they should be run on the track?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:57 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

~36-38 hot. In rain, you will not gain as much PSI from cold to hot. And I hope the "thanks to climate change" based on the weather one weekend near where you live was in jest.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
~36-38 hot. In rain, you will not gain as much PSI from cold to hot. And I hope the "thanks to climate change" based on the weather one weekend near where you live was in jest.
Thanks.
so maybe factor in 2-4 PSI increase, meaning starting at 34?

Actually seriously (I am not a scientist, I just know what I see): until maybe 5 years ago the 2nd half of March was absolutely dry. Booking a track day in the 2nd half of March: Zero risk for a rained out track day.
Since the last couple of years the rainy season has extended into end of March / beginning of April.
Not really complaining, as we need all the rain we can get here and the winter was super-dry, so with the late season of rain storms, we might not have a drought this summer.
And funnily enough I'm almost looking forward to a wet track day, as this will be a good chance to get better at driving at the limits of traction.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

If you have to start low in order to get to your target (I agree with the 36-38 hot) bring them up to temp / pressure slowly and be real careful in the turns (generate your heat in the brake zones). These tires have a soft sidewall and will roll in a turn while at low pressure which will destroy the outside shoulder. Don't ask how I learned this

I run these tires in the rain and they are great, hanging with folks running Hoosier Rain tires
Old 03-21-2018, 11:32 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I start at 27/28 cold and they get to 35 hot and that's exactly where they perform best for me. (On a dry track).
They are up to temp in a couple laps, depending on the track.
I have them on a 2014 981S.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Thanks.
so maybe factor in 2-4 PSI increase, meaning starting at 34?

Actually seriously (I am not a scientist, I just know what I see): until maybe 5 years ago the 2nd half of March was absolutely dry. Booking a track day in the 2nd half of March: Zero risk for a rained out track day.
Since the last couple of years the rainy season has extended into end of March / beginning of April.
Not really complaining, as we need all the rain we can get here and the winter was super-dry, so with the late season of rain storms, we might not have a drought this summer.
And funnily enough I'm almost looking forward to a wet track day, as this will be a good chance to get better at driving at the limits of traction.
I'd start at 31-32 and bleed down if you exceed 37 or 38. That allows you to take the course faster earlier, since aggressive cornering on low pressure with soft sidewalls is a bad idea (as others point out).
Old 03-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

for Cup 2's ROAD RACING (psi)Front: 25 cold; 32 hot rear: 28 cold; 36 hot note:if your road-racing hot pressures are too high, start with slightly lower cold pressures.AUTOCROSS (slalom)32–36 psi hot (front/rear)note: Though autocross hot target pressures are the same as those for road racing, you may need to start at a higher cold inflation pressure to compensate for the lower pressure gains in autocross racing.ROAD oe pressures (consult your vehicle owner’s manual.)RAIN For both autocross and road racing, you may need to increase tire pressure 6 – 10 psi over cold, dry pressures.Vehicle and driving style are important factors, so some adjust from there
Old 03-21-2018, 01:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

thanks all, very good tips!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Start 26-28 cold and go from there.

Also, I suggest you familiarize yourself with El Niño/La Nina cycles, which have preceded mankind by only about a billion years
And normal variations of solar activity, which have been around even longer
Old 03-21-2018, 02:04 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

i shoot for mid 30s hot - start 28 on chilly norcal morning

just don't let them get over 38
Old 03-21-2018, 05:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
The unthinkable has happened: Living in Northern CA I only book trackdays where it's not going to rain. And that is mid-March to mid-October
I am driving Thunderhill this weekend and thanks to climate change it looks like it will be wet. I don't trailer, meaning for the first time in many years I'll be tracking my Michelin Super Sports.
Does anyone have an idea what pressure they should be run on the track?
Climate always changes.. has for 1000s of years. but this is just plain weather. march rain is no surprise.. saw many a rain out day in march for SCCA Races at Thilll.
26 -28 cold is always a good , safe place to start.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Start 26-28 cold and go from there.

Also, I suggest you familiarize yourself with El Niño/La Nina cycles, which have preceded mankind by only about a billion years
And normal variations of solar activity, which have been around even longer
Don't forget Pacific Decadal Oscillations

Quick Reply: track tire pressure for Michelin Super Sports