Sponsored by:

Summit Point improvements

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Summit Point improvements

Just back from Summit Point. Saturday included a track walk on the new pavement and Sunday was a crisp, sunny day perfect for quick lap times.

The repave is terrific and executed really professionally. It's smooth and fast w lots of grip-- a real improvement.
And, there are considerable safety improvements with new guard rails, moved berms, and lots of conveyor belted tires. Maybe management finally gets it that we shouldn't be able to get to trees or fences or grandstands on an off.

I'm looking forward to returning even more than usual!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

I was there Friday.

I've been on the new surface three times now; 38 degrees the first time, 40 and raining the second and 39 on Friday.

Looking forward to driving it under normal conditions. The track and classroom improvements are a big jump forward. Chris keeps pushing things forward as hard as he is able to. He's doing a good job.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

I've only driven Summit once but it reminded me a little of Lime Rock in a way. Looking forward to the PCA race there this summer.

Did they get rid of the gravel at turn 3? Or at least not make it so putting a portion of your wheel off the pavement showers the person in back of you in gravel?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

LOVE Summit Point main, I can't even imagine how much fun it will be with really smooth pavement, bet records drop this year if the weather is good! As for the gravel, bet that is still there. I'll never forget how pretty Sean's new paint was until Streak shotgunned him through there...

Of course if the weather is bad the pavement at Vixens is always good!
Old 03-20-2018, 03:07 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I've only driven Summit once but it reminded me a little of Lime Rock in a way. Looking forward to the PCA race there this summer.

Did they get rid of the gravel at turn 3? Or at least not make it so putting a portion of your wheel off the pavement showers the person in back of you in gravel?
They changed the track out curbing a little but when you are quick though turn three you can be quicker by dropping a wheel at the end of the exit curbing. So, yes, you can still give your closest competitors a facial if you're in that kind of mood.

Here's a screenshot from a video showing the exit curbing:
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2018, 06:35 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

We asked Chris why they left that little notch at the end of the outside curb. He said tire marks show drivers don't use that spot. I think they might just add a spot of concrete in the future.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,242 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
They changed the track out curbing a little but when you are quick though turn three you can be quicker by dropping a wheel at the end of the exit curbing. So, yes, you can still give your closest competitors a facial if you're in that kind of mood.

If memory serves me it was pavement to gravel so the curbing is a definite improvement. I like that turn a lot but my windshield didn't. Very surprised it finished the weekend intact.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller

Not sure about this one. It was bumpy but safe to go wide there. I can't wait to try it out though. I'll be going right by there in a couple of weeks, on my way to drive another 8 hrs to Road Atlanta.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

I went and found a shot from before the rebuild of the curbs to show the difference.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Are the curbs still smooth or the serrated teeth rattlers like the Glen? Is T11(last turn before straight) still just painted asphalt or an actual curb now?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:39 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Are the curbs still smooth or the serrated teeth rattlers like the Glen? Is T11(last turn before straight) still just painted asphalt or an actual curb now?
Ran SP last weekend, and did the track walk. The curbing is still 'lightly undulated' giving you a little wake up vibration, nothing like the second or third tier at the Glen. Some of the curbing is rather friendly and some not so much (grab too much curbing on Turn 4 and see how much respect you give it on the next lap ).

A few places, left between 3 and 4 near the corner station, and outside of 10, have an additional concrete edge that has deep grooves cut every 3 or 4 feet - those will vibrate your teeth. Of course some people make that part of their regular line on 10 (watch them from the viewing tower at 10 and you will see some folks putting BOTH sets of wheels outside of the curbing on 10 relying entirely on that additional concrete edge strip ).
Old 03-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,403 Likes on 748 Posts

Looks great!
Old 03-22-2018, 12:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Man, I love that track and what Chris has done with it. Will be there soon. 1:12’s beckon...
Old 03-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

More deer fencing please.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

they have done alot with cutting down trees and bushes that were attracting the deer (think there was a few apple trees etc found) they really are doing alot all over that facility and its great.

1.12....that just sounds fun.

Quick Reply: Summit Point improvements