Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Zone 2 VIR DE

Old 03-19-2018, 03:30 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,436 Likes on 996 Posts
Default PCA Zone 2 VIR DE

Just a quick word of thanks to Zone 2 for putting on an amazing 3 day event at VIR Full this past weekend.
The weather was (almost) great the whole 3 days and that track is just stellar. I know this might be blasphemy, but I might just like VIR a little bit better than WGI after this weekend.
I finally got into the low 2:20's yesterday afternoon as my driving (due to my awesome coach) got better and stronger with each session. 2:35 became 2:30, which became 2:25, and finally dropped down to 2:22 and 2:21, which I know is not a great time for a seasoned track driver, but it was really good for me, and I loved how my times consistently came down each session. Maybe next time I can break the 2:20 mark for good.
Great to hang with so many different people from so many different PCA zones and PCA regions.
Met people from Florida to Maine, and then some. Amazing amount of Cup Cars at the event. Never saw so many in one place. I drooled a little.
Strong showings from Metro NY and RTR, as well as a few of us measly NNJR folks.
Great start to my DE season, regardless of the 9 hour drive home after my last session yesterday. Got home at 2am and couldn't fall asleep, so just went to work at 6.
I'm sure the adrenaline dump is right around the corner.
Thanks again to the Zone 2 folks for putting this together. Thank you thank you thank you.
Great time and already looking forward to next season's event. So many new friends and so many old ones to hang with.
Maybe a 4 day event next season?......
Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a great event at a great track. It sounds like you had a great time. Too busy at work to hit I this year. Might want to check out the Zome 2 DE and Club Race in June at VIR. I am planning to attend that event for the first time. Get on the track and watch Porsche’s race on one weekend, pretty awesome.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Zone 2 does a great job, both with the Spring event and the Club Race. Proud to be a sponsor in June!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Amazing amount of Cup Cars at the event. Never saw so many in one place. I drooled a little.
The first step is being able to actually climb into one...
Old 03-20-2018, 10:08 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka
The first step is being able to actually climb into one...
Agreed.
You Metro guys have some really amazing cars. And those colors. Wow.
I am not a good enough driver yet to handle a car like that, but hoping to be someday. I am trying my best to get better with each event.
In the right hands, those Cup Cars are the real deal. Hoping the day comes when I am good enough to handle one, let alone just get into one.
Peter, I guess you were not at the event as I was asking people where you were, but I was told you were not around. I did see your advertisement by the bathrooms though. I was looking forward to meeting you, so maybe next time.
Thanks again to the Zone 2 folks for a great time....
Old 03-20-2018, 02:04 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Agreed.
I am not a good enough driver yet to handle a car like that, but hoping to be someday. I am trying my best to get better with each event.
In the right hands, those Cup Cars are the real deal. Hoping the day comes when I am good enough to handle one, let alone just get into one.
I am also not really the level of driver that drives a 997.1 Cup the way it should be driven. But I am working on it and having a hell of a (fun) time trying to meet the challenge. It's sort of like trying to learn how to ski moguls and instead of practicing on a gentle bump run at Rams Head, going over to OL when the bumps are Volkswagen sized and lapping it over and over. Eventually it will happen.

You really should have sat in her, if you had gotten in I would have had you drive it around the paddock. Next time.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:21 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlanka

You really should have sat in her, if you had gotten in I would have had you drive it around the paddock. Next time.
I wouldn't even know how to shift that car. Thanks for the offer though. Next time maybe.
Even in the paddock, that car is WAY above my ability level. I am an intermediate (or advanced intermediate at best) track driver depending on which track I'm at.
Your car requires a driver at a much higher level than I am, whether on the track or even in the paddock. I think I would have stalled your car more than I drove it. Again, maybe next time.
Thanks. Nice offer.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:25 PM
AO
Supercharged
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep this was a great event. Weather was awesome on Friday and Saturday. Unfortunately I spun a bearing on Friday during my 3rd session. My student had a fairly significant "Off-track event" on Saturday morning when the track and air temp was cold (he was on Hoosiers). He was done for the weekend at that point. I will never go out with a student on slicks when air temp is <50F. Just not worth it. Swap them tires, or sit it out. Lesson learned.

Still had a ball!

Old 03-20-2018, 05:33 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

What's that Chevy/GMC doing out there assisting you? I thought Nissan was sponsor at VIR now. Did they not supply any vehicles?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:56 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AO
Yep this was a great event. Weather was awesome on Friday and Saturday. Unfortunately I spun a bearing on Friday during my 3rd session. My student had a fairly significant "Off-track event" on Saturday morning when the track and air temp was cold (he was on Hoosiers). He was done for the weekend at that point. I will never go out with a student on slicks when air temp is <50F. Just not worth it. Swap them tires, or sit it out. Lesson learned.

Still had a ball!
I was right behind you when your car died. I wondered why I gave you a pass and then got it right back. Sorry about the mechanical. Don't see too many 928s.

Were you in the maroon vette that went off? My student and I were right behind you when that happened. That was bad.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VaSteve
I was right behind you when your car died. I wondered why I gave you a pass and then got it right back. Sorry about the mechanical. Don't see too many 928s.

Were you in the maroon vette that went off? My student and I were right behind you when that happened. That was bad.
That Vette sustained some significant damage, if that was the car you were referring to. He was parked near us in the paddock and when we spoke to him about the off, he said he put it in the wall at 4, the slowest corner on the track. Was wondering how he went off so hard at that turn. Now I know (if that was the same car).
Glad everyone was alright and no injuries were reported, besides the car itself. Glad you're ok. I know a few folks who were on slicks that sat out their first session of the day because of those chilly temps. Lesson learned indeed.
Glad you and your student are ok. That's what's important.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:46 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Vette sustained some significant damage, if that was the car you were referring to. He was parked near us in the paddock and when we spoke to him about the off, he said he put it in the wall at 4, the slowest corner on the track. Was wondering how he went off so hard at that turn. Now I know (if that was the same car).
Glad everyone was alright and no injuries were reported, besides the car itself. Glad you're ok. I know a few folks who were on slicks that sat out their first session of the day because of those chilly temps. Lesson learned indeed.
Glad you and your student are ok. That's what's important.
My student and I were OK. We just saw it happen, we weren't a part of it. Almost happened in slo motion, I told my student to wait for the black flag all and we got it. Of course the BMW GTS gunning it out of the grid and spinning gave me an opportunity to discuss cold tires with my student: in fact, I was unintentionally able to get some wheel hop out of my S2 onto the grid in the cold. That never happens.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VaSteve
My student and I were OK. We just saw it happen, we weren't a part of it. Almost happened in slo motion, I told my student to wait for the black flag all and we got it. Of course the BMW GTS gunning it out of the grid and spinning gave me an opportunity to discuss cold tires with my student: in fact, I was unintentionally able to get some wheel hop out of my S2 onto the grid in the cold. That never happens.
Nice.
One other thing I noticed at this event, at least in the run group I was in, was that point by's were given in a very timely manner and quite often.
Everyone was very respectful of other drivers out there. (at least in the intermediate run group I was in).
I thought that was great.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,793 Likes on 1,651 Posts

The 4-5 complex IS the most common area for “cold tire” (more accurately “cold brain”) incidents, particularly in DE’s.

The undulating elevation of the pavement, plus the declination in elevation fore-aft, is the “multiplier effect” causing catastrophic loss of traction.

But, it’s the loose nut behind the wheel that initiates the FIRST loss of traction (like your pit lane exit hero), THEN the physics finish the job...
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The 4-5 complex IS the most common area for “cold tire” (more accurately “cold brain”) incidents, particularly in DE’s.

The undulating elevation of the pavement, plus the declination in elevation fore-aft, is the “multiplier effect” causing catastrophic loss of traction.

But, it’s the loose nut behind the wheel that initiates the FIRST loss of traction (like your pit lane exit hero), THEN the physics finish the job...
See, this is why I wanted to meet you........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCA Zone 2 VIR DE