Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Track Rope Tie Off Failure.....

Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default E-Track Rope Tie Off Failure.....

I have been using these for many years to connect the ratcheting straps that hold my 996 down in my Pace trailer which came with the floor mounted e-track. I think I replaced them with about 5 years ago when I also replaced the ratcheting straps. I never thought much about them but that changed today.... While tightening down the straps at the rear one of these tie-offs failed in the e-track and thankfully just missed my head as it went flying by. I inspected the other connectors and found the other rear one was cracked completely down the back and probably would have broken in a few more wrackets. Luckily I had spares for the wall mounted e-track and used those. So a few points to make here:
1). Inspect these type of connectors regularly and change them out every few years. They're cheap....
2). The ones I purchased have a workload of 1,467 lbs and assembly break strength of 4,400 lbs which should be more than enough for a 2500 lb car. But... they now make a heavy duty version with 2,000lb. workload and 6,000 lb. break strength. I would have bought those had they been available 5 years ago: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Tr...k-Rope-Tie-Off
These are what I now use: http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Tr...ing-Heavy-Duty

Photo of broken pieces....
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Wow! Glad you caught that before it caused a major failure.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:32 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I never understood why the big 2" ratchet straps are only about 1.g of a car weight (3000) as their working load limit and a 3g break strength. Etrack is even less WLL. The best 1/4" chain is like 3000lbs. These straps don't restrain much. Anyway you can take a huge load off the straps by chocking front and back of just one wheel and bungie cord the 2 chocks together. The chocks will then cinch up as you drive and the car will be rock solid and then you don't have to death ratchet your straps.

etrack 800lbs WLL & 2500break strength!!
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Tr...X12-Cam-Buckle
Old 03-10-2018, 12:38 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,218 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I have etrack in my trailer and I never use it for my car. I've heard too many bad stories about it. I prefer to use the rings and ratchet straps.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The load ratings are based on new metal- but metal fatigues and cracks after repeated stress, glad you are ok
Old 03-16-2018, 01:08 AM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I have etrack in my trailer and I never use it for my car. I've heard too many bad stories about it. I prefer to use the rings and ratchet straps.
X2. I would never use e-track to hold down my car. Fine for other things, but especially after what you've just witnessed, might be worth reconsidering that option.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I never understood why the big 2" ratchet straps are only about 1.g of a car weight (3000) as their working load limit and a 3g break strength. Etrack is even less WLL. The best 1/4" chain is like 3000lbs. These straps don't restrain much. Anyway you can take a huge load off the straps by chocking front and back of just one wheel and bungie cord the 2 chocks together. The chocks will then cinch up as you drive and the car will be rock solid and then you don't have to death ratchet your straps.

etrack 800lbs WLL & 2500break strength!!
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Tr...X12-Cam-Buckle
sweet idea!

thx

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-Track Rope Tie Off Failure.....