Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Falling in Love Again…With Your HOME Track?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:24 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

You won't get much better if you are bored.
Same track, over and over? Boring.
Same tracks, over and over? Boring.
This is way too expensive to be bored.
Life is way too short to be bored.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:11 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Everyone's got to find what's interesting for them. For me, it's been much more fun focusing on the same circuit. But I couldn't say that the same would be true for anyone else.

Here's where it led. Better car, better tires, pro driver on the right side. Old car, old driver, and prolonged, singular focus on the left side.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I think there is a difference between never leaving your home track and making conquering your home track a purpose.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:31 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

There are also other ways to play on the same game board. Doing HPDE then TT, then wheel to wheel racing is like going from checkers to chess. You never really master the board until you play all the games. There is always something to work on. Sometimes you got good racecraft but that does not mean you are fast. Sometimes you are fast and have poor racecraft. There are many ways to make the game fun on the same game board or on different ones.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I think there is a difference between never leaving your home track and making conquering your home track a purpose.
Precisely.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:58 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
+1
Old 03-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
There are also other ways to play on the same game board. Doing HPDE then TT, then wheel to wheel racing is like going from checkers to chess. You never really master the board until you play all the games. There is always something to work on. Sometimes you got good racecraft but that does not mean you are fast. Sometimes you are fast and have poor racecraft. There are many ways to make the game fun on the same game board or on different ones.
Great analogy!

I've ventured as far north as Indianapolis and south as Sebring with trailer in tow.
And I'm not immune to wanderlust.

But now, with growing family commitments combined with disillusionment while recognizing the wear and tear on my equipment/sanity/life, I'm thinking of ways to build complexity into my home track experiences.

This captured it beautifully.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

I hardly find it boring flying around WGI, Mid-O and especially Mosport, my three "home" tracks that I drive exclusively.
To paraphrase the old adage, if you're bored you aren't going fast enough.

Gary
Old 03-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gbuff
I hardly find it boring flying around WGI, Mid-O and especially Mosport, my three "home" tracks that I drive exclusively.
To paraphrase the old adage, if you're bored you aren't going fast enough.

Gary
Exactly! The Babe aka Mario's quote: "If everything seems under control, you're not going g fast enough."
Old 03-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
My home track was TWS. I had thousands of laps there and I learned a ton. I can't say I ever mastered it but I did have the NASA TT3 record when it closed.

In 2016, I traveled to WGI for Nationals and fell in love with that track even though it is 1600 miles from my door.

In 2017, I made a road trip to VIR and tacked on WGI while I was there. Whereas I struggled in 2016 to find speed at WGI, in 2017 I was able to pick up VIR quickly and go ahead and set a new PR at WGI.

Later that year I went to NOLA which I only drove a few times before and reset the NASA TT3 record by more than 2 seconds. My experience at different tracks helped.

I am moving this year from Texas to Louisiana. I decided to move my car to VIR and run with NASA Mid Atlantic. On the way to drop off my car, I was able to do 1 day with Chin at RA. I drive an E46 M3. My goal was to get to 1:32.x expecting that I had 2 days to get there. I had to settle for 1:35.x as I only ran Saturday. But I felt very comfortable on track almost immediately except for 12 scares the bejeesus out of me.

I enjoy driving and learning new tracks. I think the more new tracks you learn (once you've learned the basics of car control) help you to become a faster driver and broadens your way of thinking and experimenting.

I was lucky to have TWS. The track looked like something out of the Walking Dead but it was fast and flowing and good place to learn to drive fast. For the last 2 years I was a member at MSR Houston but I rarely drove the track. ***
VIR will become my home track this year. I can't imagine ever mastering that track and certainly not in 1 year. But I will be extremely focused since my time is so limited. ***

You folks on the east coast have some really great tracks!
Hey Moose! Welcome to the neighborhood! I be at the March NASA attending the comp skl, and if I pass I'll be racing in SM.

Hope to say howdy then! Just look for the ugly yellow racing suit and crappy Miata at the bottom paddock.

Quick Reply: Falling in Love Again…With Your HOME Track?!