Sponsored by:

Virtual track walk

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:07 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Virtual track walk

Sorry if this sounds like a paid endorsement, but I just bought the Laguna Seca "virtual track walk" from Ross Bentley's website, "Speed Secrets," and wow, what a great track guide this is.

I don't think that Ross Bentley's explanations of cornering theory are always grounded in science--some of the advice I've heard him give elsewhere is just plain wrong-- but there is a ton of great practical advice in this track guide. Bentley is paired with Peter Kraus, which is a good combo because I think Peter has a better theoretical approach. They go into great detail for every corner, and the video is over an hour and a half long.

I like some other track guides, like Jack Olsen's guide to Willow, but I've never come across a track guide as detailed as this one. Highly recommended for anyone who likes to geek out on this kind of stuff!
Old 03-04-2018, 02:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Thanks!

Appreciate the recommendation! We haven't really pushed the availability of these as much as we should (I think close to twenty tracks are up now, another twenty are in the works, in the short term), but I love the "multi-pronged" approach Ross and I take with these.

We both have three-plus decades of experience but we look at the challenge of getting around the track as quickly as possible, quite frankly, in different ways. Most of the time complimentary. Sometimes, not so much! That's what's fun and provides MORE value, IMO.

I've had a fair number of people come up to me at the track lately and tell me that they got a lot out of them, but that they never knew they were out there until someone turned them on to the Speed Secrets Virtual Track Walk webpage.

One (or both) of us will reach out to see what you liked, what you didn't and what you'd like to see more of offline, but again, thanks for posting!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-04-2018, 03:14 PM
zzyzx
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's really excellent. I've driven Laguna Seca many times, but it's not my home track, so I don't know it was well as local tracks. What I like best is just the level of detail you guys get into.

Any chance you'll do one on Willow Springs or Buttonwillow? These aren't famous tracks, but they are L.A. home tracks.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Yeah, it's really excellent. I've driven Laguna Seca many times, but it's not my home track, so I don't know it was well as local tracks. What I like best is just the level of detail you guys get into.

Any chance you'll do one on Willow Springs or Buttonwillow? These aren't famous tracks, but they are L.A. home tracks.
They're on the list... Insane the number of requests for many, MANY tracks from folks that have seen one or more of these. We'll get there...
Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Last year my competitor gained on me during practice a LS, I was joking with him about what changed. He explained that he had watched the Virtual Track Walk the night before. No being competitive, I purchased it that night, watched, and I helped with a lot of visual cues to look for in setting up corners. I totally endorse this product.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bkovac
Last year my competitor gained on me during practice a LS, I was joking with him about what changed. He explained that he had watched the Virtual Track Walk the night before. No being competitive, I purchased it that night, watched, and I helped with a lot of visual cues to look for in setting up corners. I totally endorse this product.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the WGI Virtual Track Walk. There is a huge amount of information in it! It takes a few viewings to digest it all but it's a great video.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I have the WGI Virtual Track Walk. There is a huge amount of information in it! It takes a few viewings to digest it all but it's a great video.
I bought the WGI walk. I've been running there since 1968 but the video reinforced what I was doing and added new reference points. I would highly recommend it to someone new to the track.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks, John. Thanks, Bill.

The more information, the better.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 AM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1 for the virtual track walks. The Indy track walk is great. Anyone running the road course should pick it up - it's a deceptive course and the track walk will help you make quick work of a few of the tricky bits - especially how you can get sucked into the corners early! Great work by Ross and Peter.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by spruden
+1 for the virtual track walks. The Indy track walk is great. Anyone running the road course should pick it up - it's a deceptive course and the track walk will help you make quick work of a few of the tricky bits - especially how you can get sucked into the corners early! Great work by Ross and Peter.
I smiled when I read that astute observation! I thought of how easy that is to happen there. Like an IndyCar driver said, “it’s so easy to lose time on the GP course, so easy to overdrive just a little bit, and there goes the time...” Thanks for the kind words. We really enjoy it!
Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
Sorry if this sounds like a paid endorsement, but I just bought the Laguna Seca "virtual track walk" from Ross Bentley's website, "Speed Secrets," and wow, what a great track guide this is.

I don't think that Ross Bentley's explanations of cornering theory are always grounded in science--some of the advice I've heard him give elsewhere is just plain wrong-- but there is a ton of great practical advice in this track guide. Bentley is paired with Peter Kraus, which is a good combo because I think Peter has a better theoretical approach. They go into great detail for every corner, and the video is over an hour and a half long.

I like some other track guides, like Jack Olsen's guide to Willow, but I've never come across a track guide as detailed as this one. Highly recommended for anyone who likes to geek out on this kind of stuff!
I really love them, the attention to detail and quality of production is excellent. Ross and Peter are a great combo and provide an unprecedented amount of knowledge and experience in one sitting

HIGHLY recommend for the beginner or PRO
Old 04-14-2018, 09:16 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Bringing this thread back from March - putting a vote in via e-mail for the NJMP complex next - hopefully it's on your list
Old 04-14-2018, 09:31 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It’s in the batch...
Old 04-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's a link to some of Peter's earlier work. https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...t-lap-2011.pdf

Quick Reply: Virtual track walk