Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying new air compressor - input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 02:20 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I-R stuff isn't the same as it used to be. Quincy and Rolair still make some good equipment. Industrial grade screw compressors will last 10's of thousands of hours. If you search takes you towards a Kaeser or Sullivan Palatek let me know. I buy their portables so I get somewhat of a discount on their industrial line.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:08 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey Dave,

Give me a call some time WRT compressors - I am thinking about getting a different one from what I have.

An older Quincy, or Ir can be good. ANYTHING bought at the big box stores is junk, same goes for Harbor Freight, and other similar venues. ESP after you buy all the air tools you feel compelled to buy...

Ray
Old 03-06-2018, 11:44 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The California air tools ultra quiets are truly ultra quiet. I have a small one in my trailer, aluminum tanks, very light and very quiet. I have two at my office for laser cutters and prototyping equipment. One in a cabinet. It has lights so you don't forget to turn it off because it is so quiet. They are very well made but not cheap. A big three phase high volume low speed scroll compressor will be relatively quiet compared to a standard shop compressor but still not as quiet. The compressors are not high volume so the bigger tanks are a must for constant use/recovery. Save your hearing...
Old 06-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks again for all of the input here. I finally made a decision!
The California Air 60-gal was backordered until September and I was not convinced its CFM was going to meet my needs. The quiet scroll compressor from Eastwood just had too many question marks to me.

So, I bought the Quincy QT-54 5hp 60-gallon compressor from aircompressorsdirect.com. Its a beautiful unit! I had an electrician install a 55A box with a lever type on/off to my 230v service.
It fills in about 6 minutes. With its bigger tank and flow my tire machine is running so much smoother. I had been having trouble beading my wife’s very low profile slicks and now I can do it at a much lower pressure! I’m very happy about that.

I bought this cool manifold on Amazon for my air lines. Works great and easier/cheaper than running hard pipes.

I should do do a separate write up on my Ranger tire machine and balancer. Also very pleased!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003N9BSSS?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003N9BSSS?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Old 06-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I forgot to add that the Quincy is about half as loud as my Husky 30-gal oilless unit!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:05 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Quincy makes nice machines, I have a Quincy pump sitting on the floor that I just rebuilt, and have a Saylor Beall that will be my primary.

Ray
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbahr
Quincy makes nice machines, I have a Quincy pump sitting on the floor that I just rebuilt, and have a Saylor Beall that will be my primary.

Ray
Hope you're well Ray!
Old 06-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks again for all of the input here. I finally made a decision!
The California Air 60-gal was backordered until September and I was not convinced its CFM was going to meet my needs. The quiet scroll compressor from Eastwood just had too many question marks to me.

So, I bought the Quincy QT-54 5hp 60-gallon compressor from aircompressorsdirect.com. Its a beautiful unit! I had an electrician install a 55A box with a lever type on/off to my 230v service.
It fills in about 6 minutes. With its bigger tank and flow my tire machine is running so much smoother. I had been having trouble beading my wife’s very low profile slicks and now I can do it at a much lower pressure! I’m very happy about that.

I bought this cool manifold on Amazon for my air lines. Works great and easier/cheaper than running hard pipes.

I should do do a separate write up on my Ranger tire machine and balancer. Also very pleased!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003N...op_mb_pd_title

Please tidy up your garage a bit. Embarrassed that I know you. LOL. Quincy does make some good 2 stage compressors, ones that are quiet with low rpms. They also put their names on other compressors painted blue. I would like a small screw compressor for my garage when the tire equipment comes home. But maybe not. Screws are made to run all of the time. Doubt that that is what I will need.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Please tidy up your garage a bit. Embarrassed that I know you. LOL. Quincy does make some good 2 stage compressors, ones that are quiet with low rpms. They also put their names on other compressors painted blue. I would like a small screw compressor for my garage when the tire equipment comes home. But maybe not. Screws are made to run all of the time. Doubt that that is what I will need.
That is my “tidy up” Scruffy! It’s a sign of genius ya know.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Please do...
Old 06-15-2018, 02:00 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dogger15
Some good information posted here. I especially like that Eastwood scroll.

A few more details you might want to consider before making your selection:

As you move up in tank size and horsepower, you also move up in weight. A good quality 80 gallon, two stage will weigh in excess of 500 lbs. So unless you plan to pay someone to move it from the delivery truck to the spot you have reserved in your garage, you better plan on having a pallet jack and a few friends at a minimum.
Many of the 5 hp motors require a 60 amp breaker and service. Unless you had your garage custom wired, you probably have 50 amps max on a 220v plug, something to keep in mind.

From what you have described as your needs, a Quincy single stage 60 gallon would be more than enough to meet everything except the reduced noise requirement. So that would leave the new California Air 4hp/60 gal as the most bang for the buck IMO. At 75 db it's not a scroll, but it's no where near as loud as what you have now.

Finally, I recommend against IR Compressors. They moved production to China about 15 years ago resulting in a precipitous drop in quality and reliability.

fyi I I got one of the Eastwood scroll compressors. It’s seriously impressive. And super quiet. My shop fan is noisier than the compressor
Old 06-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

That is my “tidy up” Scruffy! It’s a sign of genius ya know.
What tire machine did you end up getting? I can see just one assist arm in your pic.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
What tire machine did you end up getting? I can see just one assist arm in your pic.
I got the R76ATR and I run it on 110 although it can be run on 230. It's great! Not as fancy as your Ranger but it has enough assist devices to keep my fingers free. I got the basic digital tire balancer which is super easy to use. I do run the balancer on 230 which was recommended.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Robert147
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Rolair. Made in Wisconsin.

Local tool shop which supports most machine shops around here recommend them over Ingersol.
Hi Hacker,
Are you looking for an Ingersol machine shop; you can check out with "Swift Equipment Solutions". They are renowned Ingersol Rand service and maintenance solution provider.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:07 AM
mrgreystone
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, new to the forum. I'm looking for for a new air compressor, mainly to power impact wrenches and ratches. But it has to run off of 110 volts because I don't have 220 in the garage and my breaker box in the house is all tapped out. Yes, I realize I could spend more money and find a way to get 220 to the garage. But that's not going to happen.
I've explored the SCFM ranges of all the compressors in the 20 to 30 gallon range (Dewalt, Porter Cable, etc), and many have great ratings and are advertised as being able to run an impact. But I'm worried that rating is only for lug nuts and other easy stuff. I'd like something that will buzz off an axle nut or even a crack pulley if necessary.
Another limitation is price. I'd love to spend no more than $600, so try to keep that in mind when making suggestions.

Last edited by mrgreystone; 03-06-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying new air compressor - input appreciated