Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:16 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

So am I only safe in my street car with the windows up? Are manufacturers designing airbag systems that only work properly with the windows up? I certainly hope the answer to both of these are no.

Charley
Old 02-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Formulabob
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
[/left]

end even the blinker option: I've seen many closed cockpit cars IN THE UPPER RUN GROUPS put their right turn signal on and move to the right side of the track...even though at the drivers meeting it was explained that the signal side was the side the passing car was supposed to go.

Hand out the window point by - never any questions....
Audi Club members running Euro rules? In the U.S., the blinker side is the side for the passing car to take. Based on Spa and Nurburgring videos on the web, blinker on the passee appears to be the side of the track he will move to. Really needs to be stressed at Driver Meetings which protocol is to be followed.

Many years ago, I did safety research at Ford. I’m certainly not current but still have a good understanding of crash dynamics. Putting aside passing signals, my answer to the driver injury portion of the windows up or down debate is “it depends”.

Up is better with side impact air bags, 3-point belts, and non-containment seats. Once you have a better driver containment system, then the side window probably does not contribute anything other than temporary debris avoidance. BTW, if you are properly restrained by a 5+ point restraint system, your driver air bag system likely does nothing but block your vision for a few moments after an initiating impact.

From the track safety worker perspective, an intact closed window could be a serious issue if fire or severe driver trauma is involved. So, until an unbiased study surfaces, I maintain that there is NO clear answer to the question.

Bob L
Old 02-27-2018, 07:44 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Exactly...

end even the blinker option: I've seen many closed cockpit cars IN THE UPPER RUN GROUPS put their right turn signal on and move to the right side of the track...even though at the drivers meeting it was explained that the signal side was the side the passing car was supposed to go.

That almost sounds like the German STVO rules, you signal were you go and the other car goes opposite for a pass.

Originally Posted by dr john
Audi Club North America allows windows up and turn signals as part of our National Guidelines. We do it for safety and ease of giving passes. We basically use european DE rules. Our national website has the DE Guidelines available for review. https://audiclubna.org/ Sorry but only ACNA Members can access the site.
In that case it would be best to copy and paste instead of linking it to a restricted access site.

Last edited by ExMB; 02-27-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by HPDE Guru
Mike, have 100% clarity that it is a track policy, not a Chin policy. At Barber, the Porsche Sport School *does not use* corner workers/race control. As such, they have their own independent guidelines. All the large-scale tracks that have fully developed fire/rescue/safety teams require windows down. It's a fact. When it's raining and they give exceptions, they're just being nice. But, the policy doesn't change. My personal preference would be windows up. But, the track safety boss always has the final say. The windows open standard is always related to rescuing a disabled driver post-crash. Chin always adopts the track standard.
Hey Mark, super thanks for that clarification.....on that note I’d really love to have the track bosses re-think this policy and we all learn and find what is really safer. From whom I’ve spoken with and what I’ve found out...with modern street cars it’s pointing to windows up is safer for various reasons. Point bus with blinkers definitely feels safer to me.

Hopefully Chin Trackdays could be the leader they are and start some discussions with track bosses and manufacture engineers on this subject. I’d be happy to help in anyway I can too.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
So am I only safe in my street car with the windows up? Are manufacturers designing airbag systems that only work properly with the windows up? I certainly hope the answer to both of these are no.
Exactly what I've been pondering while following this thread. I just watched about a dozen side impact airbag videos on YT, the windows exploded, glass everywhere.

I'm also trying to comprehend DE's with the A/C on. Times have sure changed. When I started doing track events, none of the cars could run for 20-30 minutes around a track with the A/C on without overheating.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
.with modern street cars it’s pointing to windows up is safer for various reasons. Point bus with blinkers definitely feels safer to me.
A world with no point-bys is so much better. You Point-by DE guys gotta try it. Find a HPDE group that has a no point-by needed group. There are many...
Old 02-27-2018, 10:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I could not care whether it's safer with windows up or down. I just know it's infinitely more enjoyable with windows up.

Am I willing to sacrifice a bit of (purported?) safety for the sake enjoyment. Yes.

Cuz, you know what? DE or HPDE events by their very nature not safe. In fact, life is not safe.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:54 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by dr john
Audi Club North America allows windows up and turn signals as part of our National Guidelines. We do it for safety and ease of giving passes. We basically use european DE rules. Our national website has the DE Guidelines available for review. https://audiclubna.org/ Sorry but only ACNA Members can access the site.
so I wouldn’t be able to drive with Audi club because I have no blinkers or windows?

And....which side do you pass on with blinkers? Some say go where the blinker side is, some say the lead car will move to the side the blinker is on...then...what if the lead car forgets which way to go? Accident waiting to happen...

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-27-2018, 11:01 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Windows! We don’t need no stinking windows.....

Old 02-27-2018, 11:11 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Windows! We don’t need no stinking windows.....
+1
I've driven my replica Cobra around Road America more times than I can count without a helmet on. Granted I only reached 130 on the front straight.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:29 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
A world with no point-bys is so much better. You Point-by DE guys gotta try it. Find a HPDE group that has a no point-by needed group. There are many...
pboc super solo is one of them. I use to run them...great group...but pboc is a race group and the de sessions would get shortened or canceled a lot to get the racing back on time. I haven’t been on track with them in a few years though.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The idea that windows keep your extremities inside the car in an accident serious enough to break the glass and deploy airbags is absurd...

If you're paranoid about that, buy harnesses for the car and use arm restraints, at least for the window opening side of the car. Sheesh.
exactly! are restraints are cheap and a very good idea ... there were some early racing groups that made us use them if we didnt have a window net. they fit on your belt system and totally out of the way of arm movement for driving. open wheel cars use them

Originally Posted by mdrums
You obviously have no clue on how air bags work and are designed then. Yes windows will keep arms inside the car in a crash. Go out and punch your car window...try it you won't break it. Windows in modern cars are designed to contain and steering air bags into the proper position as well. Windows down at a DE should be a thing of the past especially with modern day cars with safety glass and multiple air bags.
no, this is obsurd. porsche windows break when you breath on them .. not like that video. they explode in to tiny pieces in short order. (not like the safety glass front window) the airbags work regardless of windows open or not. its an explosion that lasts a fraction of a second on a side impact and its directional, independent of the window being open. i dont believe im wrong on that. sure , after deployment, they will flap out the window if you are still moving, but would be useless at that point anyway.

again, the reason for the windows down is communication, hand signals, less mess upon clean up, access to get out the window if the door is jammed in an accident.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
This window up or down rule is also a DE car versus race car issue.

My race car does not have airbags nor windows to roll up. I have a harness, halo seat, and window net. Raining or snowing (I have been on the track in the snow!) I am out there sans windows.

In my DE car I don;t have airbags but still have windows. I'll keep my passenger side window up in bad weather but in an accident I prefer all windows to be down so someone could get to me as quickly as possible.
agreed.... ive raced many times with windows down........i would have liked to have the passenger window up, if they would have allowed it though.... just because of the mess.

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Oh, so it's your fault we have this archaic and ridiculous rule.

#1 Windows are made easy to break. Seat belt or harness buckle is 100% effective to break a window from the inside, and on the outside you can use a special tool or fire extinguisher, flag shaft, etc. Even most car key will work. Windows also tend to shatter in any deformation of the roof anyway, so if the door does not open the window is most likely gone already. Outside of track, on public roads, where everything has been tested and quantified rather than based on superstitions, it's a determined fact that closed windows are safer. In fact, many new cars will close windows when a collision is about to happen.
#2 Only relevant in those extremely rare situations where the gar gets disabled next to a corner worker AND in such a way that window lowering mechanism would break as well AND there would be no other noise around (racetracks are known for peace and quiet)
#3 How is someone's hand more visible than a blinker? Unlike a blinker, a hand often obscured by the car and it does not light up.
#4 Side windows are made to shatter into pieces that are almost indistinguishable from gravel in a gravel trap. Few more pebbles would not make much difference. Also, upper windows are up and would almost definitely shutter in a crash with enough deformation to make doors unopenable.

Everywhere else in the world, and even in the USA outside of the track driving, it's determined that windows up is the safer way in a street-legal car - no debris plying in, no limbs flailing out, airbags work better etc. But of course, a bunch of seasoned farts writing track rules in the US is the only group in the universe that has any clue.
cant agree with you on any of your points... sorry.........been doing this a long time, and all your points dont negate the benfits of open windows. the mess alone is good reason to not have them up.
blinkers fail, some could get mixed up on their meaning. hand signals out the window are obvoius to see and are a standard of track work...... also , helpful in showing that you are going to the pits........also for instructors to re-enphasize that you want someone to follow you closer. (pat'ing the roof)
side windows break up in to glass pebbles.. its a big mess and needs to be cleaned up. corner workers dont like glass clean up.
if im upside down and the window didnt break........im not comfortable trying to break it when it didnt need to be broken if it was down.. no matter how easy it is . if you are burning, you dont want another step to go through to get out.

Originally Posted by mglobe
I have SEEN two street cars catch on fire at a DE. Both were late model GM products (Corvette & Camero), which have electric door releases. In both cases the electrical systems were fried by the fire. Both cars had an emergency door release, but in both cases the drivers (and one instructor) chose to bail out the window as that was the fastest way out. I'd hate to be looking for a tool to break a window, or trying to hit the window with a seat belt buckle.

As Peter stated, in a rollover that is violent enough to cause your arms to come out of the window, the window would most likely shatter. I've looked for information on the efficacy of side air bags with windows open vs closed and have not found any info so far.
yes, and if you care about your arms moving around, get arm restraints. they are cheap and effective. should be mandatory i feel. (in a DE car)

Exactly...
That's the problem, Except for a VERY FEW completely closed cockpit cars that NORMALLY run in upper run groups where supposedly the drivers are much more situationally aware, every other car can put it's window down and the drive can give hand-out-the-window point by signals. NOT every car has blinkers (most race cars don't). For example...my race car. No blinkers, no windows. So what do we do?

For upper run groups, different signals (blinkers, hand out the window point bys, etc) are probably OK, but for lower run groups who are just learning how to drive on the track, how do you explain "well, this car might do a turn signal, this car might be hand-out-the-window point by, this car might be hand-INSIDE-the window point by, etc"

And even when using the blinker option: I've seen many closed cockpit cars IN THE UPPER RUN GROUPS put their right turn signal on and move to the right side of the track...even though at the drivers meeting it was explained that the signal side was the side the passing car was supposed to go.

Hand out the window point by - never any questions....
yep, always good to reduce confusion and guess work. one mistake can can cost BIG.. almost worse than neglect. no signal is much safer than a "wrong" signal.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That in itself is a reason to get one and hang out with you more often!
Hope to see you at Pikes Peak!

1. In the very rare occasion that a DE car catches on fire due to a crash (I haven't seen one in the last 500 track days), I will take my chances that the emergency rescue vehicle gets to me on time. The response times have been phenomenal. I actually think there are times that the window structure helps from deforming and keeps the doors operational longer. German car manufacturers see to think so. Anyway, I am much moire likely to die from crap flying through the car then a car fire. That I am sure of.
2. If they are right next to the car you cant hear anything, if they are you can with the windows closed.
3. Nothing is more clear then turn signals. Everyone uses it every day, everyone sees it every day. Much, more clear then flailing arm out of the window that almost get ripped out of your shoulder socket. Example guy sticks his arm all the way out the window to the left, only to take .5 seconds to bend his arm ver the roof to the right. In that half a second your committing to the wrong side of the car. Or something flaps around half out the window and one mistakes it for a glove/point by.. It seems the race car drivers have the hardest time giving clear point by's..
4.This is a moot pint because if there is glass to clean up, the track is going to be cold for a bit while they clean up up the rest of the car parts, it will just get sweeped up with the kitty litter..

I think your clairvoyance system is broken..
Old 02-28-2018, 08:41 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Windows? Blinkers? Windows? Race cars don’t have these

Charley

GT3R and RSR does
Old 02-28-2018, 08:50 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
GT3R and RSR does
Same with new Cups and GT4 MR
Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Another example: SCCA time trial. Rule is no pass without point by or you’ll be black flagged. Then told windows up or window nets. So I get behind another car and get no point by from what I can see. I wait.... then I pass “he must have given me a point bye by now”...I get black flagged and reprimanded. As do many others. Talked to the driver and he said he kept giving me a point by. I just couldn’t see it through his roll cage and sun glare on his back window. As I, he had no turn signals. I told control and was told “if the flaggers don’t see it, you’ll be black flagged”. Happened twice more that day. Never got good laps...

Sunday was windows down, point bye out the window....no problems.

Quick Reply: What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?