Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 12:26 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The idea that windows keep your extremities inside the car in an accident serious enough to break the glass and deploy airbags is absurd...

If you're paranoid about that, buy harnesses for the car and use arm restraints, at least for the window opening side of the car. Sheesh.
You obviously have no clue on how air bags work and are designed then. Yes windows will keep arms inside the car in a crash. Go out and punch your car window...try it you won't break it. Windows in modern cars are designed to contain and steering air bags into the proper position as well. Windows down at a DE should be a thing of the past especially with modern day cars with safety glass and multiple air bags.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Audi Club allowed windows up at Mid Ohio the last couple of years. I'll tell you this, there's a shocking amount of people that are reluctant to adapt to the windows up and turn signals for passing in the upper groups. They were mandating turn signals in the lower groups to condition those students. Their philosophy is they don't want students to remove their hands from the wheel for ANY reason, not even passing signals.

Helped me practice for my Ring trip.

I will note, it was a HOT day and I tried to run without the A/C after a rain storm and the whole car fogged up in 2 laps. Had to run the A/C to keep things inside the car happy with me huffing and puffing behind the wheel.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Is windows up mandatory with those groups, I ask while staring at the box with the AC components from my car in it. Also, if it was so hot I had to run AC my car would be even more not fast.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:35 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

And as for street cars catching on fire, it does happen. COTA several years ago a GT-R caught on fire and the driver exited the window as the smoke was so bad he couldn't find the door handle. Ford GT350 also in the early stages of production had several cars catch on fire on the track, once at RR and once at CMS on the banking that I know of.

That being said when I ran with Nord Stern PCA at Brainerd in 30's and raining and Road America in the 90's it was nice having the windows closed.

Peter
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The idea that windows keep your extremities inside the car in an accident serious enough to break the glass and deploy airbags is absurd...

If you're paranoid about that, buy harnesses for the car and use arm restraints, at least for the window opening side of the car. Sheesh.
I don't have a race car and I don't have side window nets, nor will I put arm restrains in my daily driver.
Not so paranoid about arms flailing being prevented by closed windows but it CAN help and its not absurt.
That's why they do crash tests with windows up:
Old 02-27-2018, 12:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Audi Club allowed windows up at Mid Ohio the last couple of years. I'll tell you this, there's a shocking amount of people that are reluctant to adapt to the windows up and turn signals for passing in the upper groups. They were mandating turn signals in the lower groups to condition those students. Their philosophy is they don't want students to remove their hands from the wheel for ANY reason, not even passing signals.

Helped me practice for my Ring trip.

I will note, it was a HOT day and I tried to run without the A/C after a rain storm and the whole car fogged up in 2 laps. Had to run the A/C to keep things inside the car happy with me huffing and puffing behind the wheel.
Yet another safety benefit, thanks!
Old 02-27-2018, 12:39 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,585 Posts

This window up or down rule is also a DE car versus race car issue.

My race car does not have airbags nor windows to roll up. I have a harness, halo seat, and window net. Raining or snowing (I have been on the track in the snow!) I am out there sans windows.

In my DE car I don;t have airbags but still have windows. I'll keep my passenger side window up in bad weather but in an accident I prefer all windows to be down so someone could get to me as quickly as possible.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

I have no opinion which way is safer, if in fact either is. But I do agree that the "this is the way we have always done it" mindset is rampant...witness some groups still require long sleeves in a DE...
Old 02-27-2018, 01:32 PM
HPDE Guru
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I did a few years ago and also spoke with Chin Trackdays as well. No response...ZERO...from PCA. I mentioned this to the local PCA track chairman at a DE and got some stupid response like this is the way its always been done and is safer. I said who says its safer?...its not safer....they are just so closed minded!!!!!!

Chin said it's up to the tracks and what they require. I do not totally believe that statement since at Barber the Porsche school requires windows to be up but Chin says the track says they have to be down..BUT....then when it rains they tell us to put the windows up. Geesh!!!....makes zero sense now doesn't it?!?!?!?

My car like 99% of the cars running in DE's has air bags....multiple air bags. For the side air bags to do there job it is fact that the windows need to be UP. Although I have seen a GT3 crash at Daytona...windows were down and the steering wheel air bag got sucked right out the drivers window. It did absolutely zero good in protecting the driver.
Mike, have 100% clarity that it is a track policy, not a Chin policy. At Barber, the Porsche Sport School *does not use* corner workers/race control. As such, they have their own independent guidelines. All the large-scale tracks that have fully developed fire/rescue/safety teams require windows down. It's a fact. When it's raining and they give exceptions, they're just being nice. But, the policy doesn't change. My personal preference would be windows up. But, the track safety boss always has the final say. The windows open standard is always related to rescuing a disabled driver post-crash. Chin always adopts the track standard.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:41 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I have no opinion which way is safer, if in fact either is. But I do agree that the "this is the way we have always done it" mindset is rampant...witness some groups still require long sleeves in a DE...
Yea. Same statement can be made for convertible tops up vs down. It's inconsistent at best with each being justified by some armchair idea of what may or may not happen in a crash.

There are plenty of good reasons for windows up and down. Merely pointing out the ones that support your opinion isn't going to persuade somebody to risk their job/reputation/liability to make a change.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Look, there are REASONS that the windows are to be left open in a DE or RACE. they CLEARLY out weigh, gas mileage, messed up hair, keeping water out if you crash in a lake, some dirt entering the car when you spin, etc.
1. its easier for a driver to get out of a car in an emergency. you can only imagine if your car is on fire in a crash, when you cant open the door and want to get out..... (and you dont have one of those window breakers in your pocket)
2. corner workers can yell instructions to drivers of disabled cars.
3. Hand signals are much more clear for left passes
4. in a crash, there is MUCH more debris to clean up if the windows break thus making much more of a delay for other participants.

this is why you will not have a tremendous amount of luck trying to convince experienced race organizers to allow for close window in street cars /or race cars unless they are designed for easy popout (eg; cup cars)
Oh, so it's your fault we have this archaic and ridiculous rule.

#1 Windows are made easy to break. Seat belt or harness buckle is 100% effective to break a window from the inside, and on the outside you can use a special tool or fire extinguisher, flag shaft, etc. Even most car key will work. Windows also tend to shatter in any deformation of the roof anyway, so if the door does not open the window is most likely gone already. Outside of track, on public roads, where everything has been tested and quantified rather than based on superstitions, it's a determined fact that closed windows are safer. In fact, many new cars will close windows when a collision is about to happen.
#2 Only relevant in those extremely rare situations where the gar gets disabled next to a corner worker AND in such a way that window lowering mechanism would break as well AND there would be no other noise around (racetracks are known for peace and quiet)
#3 How is someone's hand more visible than a blinker? Unlike a blinker, a hand often obscured by the car and it does not light up.
#4 Side windows are made to shatter into pieces that are almost indistinguishable from gravel in a gravel trap. Few more pebbles would not make much difference. Also, upper windows are up and would almost definitely shutter in a crash with enough deformation to make doors unopenable.

Everywhere else in the world, and even in the USA outside of the track driving, it's determined that windows up is the safer way in a street-legal car - no debris plying in, no limbs flailing out, airbags work better etc. But of course, a bunch of seasoned farts writing track rules in the US is the only group in the universe that has any clue.
The following users liked this post:
911TurboRules (01-15-2024)
Old 02-27-2018, 04:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I have SEEN two street cars catch on fire at a DE. Both were late model GM products (Corvette & Camero), which have electric door releases. In both cases the electrical systems were fried by the fire. Both cars had an emergency door release, but in both cases the drivers (and one instructor) chose to bail out the window as that was the fastest way out. I'd hate to be looking for a tool to break a window, or trying to hit the window with a seat belt buckle.

As Peter stated, in a rollover that is violent enough to cause your arms to come out of the window, the window would most likely shatter. I've looked for information on the efficacy of side air bags with windows open vs closed and have not found any info so far.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:12 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by CharleyH
Windows? Blinkers? Windows? Race cars don’t have these

Charley
Exactly...
That's the problem, Except for a VERY FEW completely closed cockpit cars that NORMALLY run in upper run groups where supposedly the drivers are much more situationally aware, every other car can put it's window down and the drive can give hand-out-the-window point by signals. NOT every car has blinkers (most race cars don't). For example...my race car. No blinkers, no windows. So what do we do?

For upper run groups, different signals (blinkers, hand out the window point bys, etc) are probably OK, but for lower run groups who are just learning how to drive on the track, how do you explain "well, this car might do a turn signal, this car might be hand-out-the-window point by, this car might be hand-INSIDE-the window point by, etc"

And even when using the blinker option: I've seen many closed cockpit cars IN THE UPPER RUN GROUPS put their right turn signal on and move to the right side of the track...even though at the drivers meeting it was explained that the signal side was the side the passing car was supposed to go.

Hand out the window point by - never any questions....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 02-27-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:38 PM
dr john
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi Club North America allows windows up and turn signals as part of our National Guidelines. We do it for safety and ease of giving passes. We basically use european DE rules. Our national website has the DE Guidelines available for review. https://audiclubna.org/ Sorry but only ACNA Members can access the site.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Unless its fire retardant long sleeves are just more stuff they have to scrape off your skin God forbid you are in a fire.

Quick Reply: What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?