Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold

I'll raise you a lower lowly Croc GTS.

Peter
ok you and will hang together! ;-)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:20 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

PBOC Sept 8+9 at Sebring following my track day the 6th and Chin the 7th, now allow windows up in the rain.
Passing signal OK with turn signals, just as they do for night events..

Baby steps but it’s progress.

I don’t see the safety difference between wet and dry.
When they take the next step, I won’t have to rent Sebring anymore but we’re sold out and it will be fun!
Old 08-27-2018, 10:45 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
PBOC Sept 8+9 at Sebring following my track day the 6th and Chin the 7th, now allow windows up in the rain.
Passing signal OK with turn signals, just as they do for night events..

Baby steps but it’s progress.

I don’t see the safety difference between wet and dry.
When they take the next step, I won’t have to rent Sebring anymore but we’re sold out and it will be fun!
I'm very excited for the day when I email CDI@trakcarEvents.com to ask if I can instruct at their event at Mid-Ohio.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

So Chin gives you the choice now.
Its working beautifully as did our own event.
Im sure PBOC and others will follow I’m sure if they want to fill up track events here in Florida anyway.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 09-17-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:33 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

So just as I’m seeking options for taking weight out of Boxzilla to get closer to the F class podium, (I do mostly DE’s and some racing) I can now re-install the a/c and windows adding weight? As they say, a cooler driver is a faster driver.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:52 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

PCA Suncoast got permission from
PCA national to run Windows closed this weekend at Sebring.

So Chin and PCA give you the choice now.
This would require a change in PCA's HPDE Minimum Standards, not just approval from National. If they did run with windows down they are not in compliance with the Minimum Standards. PCA does not give regions the option to run with windows down.

Aaron

Last edited by Driver8; 09-17-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Driver8
This would require a change in PCA's HPDE Minimum Standards, not just approval from National. If they did run with windows down they are not in compliance with the Minimum Standards. PCA does not give regions the option to run with windows down.
Aaron
OK

Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally am neither for or against using blinkers to point people for passing. I am happy to do whatever the track organizer requires, but here is a video I just came across where it seemed to work well. It is near the end of the video.

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...eer/#comment-7

Charley
Old 12-10-2018, 02:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

So Chin gives you the choice now.
Its working beautifully as did our own event.
Im sure PBOC and others will follow I’m sure if they want to fill up track events here in Florida anyway.
So what the heck happened.....?....drove with Chin today ...Sunday...at Sebring and was told to put windows down. I asked a few chief track instructors about running windows up like before and they looked at me like I was crazy.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

^^ Looks like they played along but changed their mind or got lazy and defaulted into stupid old and dangerous rules.
I thought we were all set but looks like we have to revive our own track days.

I had no idea you were there!!
Left right after 2nd session.

How you like the car :-)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

^^ Looks like they played along but changed their mind or got lazy and defaulted into stupid old and dangerous rules.
I thought we were all set but looks like we have to revive our own track days.

I had no idea you were there!!
Left right after 2nd session.

How you like the car :-)
Got there late Saturday...saw your car in pit stall #1...came back Sunday and didn't see you. I was instructing so I was busy with student and trying to get out on track a little. Car as you know is so nice...so much nicer than GTS. I'd event rather drive the GT3 on the street than the GTS. I was battling rear tires heating up and taking it easy...only pushing it little in a few corners. Car is way faster than the GTS 2017 I had on the track. Corner speeds faster. PCCB brakes have zero bite for 2 laps while trying to gently get heat in them...that was new for me. Car might have understeer...pushed coming out of T13 but it hauls through Bishops. I could easily match corner speeds in GT3 against my GTS.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:52 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Kibort, you make little sense and are grasping at straws. Blinkers are much clearer and much less ambiguous than a hand signal which could come in a variety of styles, levels of clarity, on the side of the car, over the roof, or inside the car (for cars with fixed windows or nets). Sometimes drivers wave to drivers ahead of them or to flag stations which could also be mistaken for a pass signal. Other times drivers adjust their mirror which could also be mistaken for a passing signal (from inside the car).

The "argument" that blinkers could get confusing is ridiculous. After being instituted for a few months, and after using them at a few events they will become a habit for everyone just like your decades of point-bys have become a reflex for you now. Is this an old dogs, new tricks kind of a problem?

I have no idea what kind of logic you use to arrive at your conclusions. Or you're just arguing for argument's sake...
Why put turn signals in road cars at all? We should all use our hands to signal our turns on the street? If hand signals are much clearer to see...
Old 01-15-2024, 05:57 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Why put turn signals in road cars at all?
Come to Western PA. Most cars don't have turn signals, from the look of things.
The following users liked this post:
wthensler (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 06:02 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Yargk
One uses blinkers for point by just as you do on the street, there's no contradiction. On the street you blink to show where you are going and on the track one uses the blinker to show where you are going, passing cars go by on the OTHER side. This is how it's down in Europe and it's very natural when you get used to it.
Agreed. Blinkers are confusing because we make it confusing by using it as a pointer on the track instead of using it as a show of your intention like on the street. All over the world and European tracks the street blinkers are used to show where the car is going - and not as a way to tell people where they should go. If we change the convention of the blinker like you do on the street there should be no confusion. There are turn lights on both sides in the front, in the rear, in the front quarter and rear quarter. Much easier to see than one small hand out the window.
The following users liked this post:
TRAKCAR (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 07:08 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Why put turn signals in road cars at all? We should all use our hands to signal our turns on the street? If hand signals are much clearer to see...
Opening up a 5 year old thread. Not sure youre going to sway the crowd on getting rid of turn signals on street cars....

Last edited by 177mph; 01-15-2024 at 07:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 177mph:
911therapy (01-15-2024), Brainofjjj (01-15-2024)

Quick Reply: What DE's allow keeping the windows closed safely?