Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:26 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default *NEW* Speedcom Communicator

This must be the week for new communicator options. Speedcom has introduced their latest invention, the 2-PI Coaching Intercom. If you already have wired helmets with IMSA plugs, they will plug right into the communicator. Communicator can either be 12v hard wired or will run on four AA batteries.

As a stand alone unit with no in-helmet communications, you'll need to add their Single Ear headset per user. First impressions are very positive with a lot of good feedback (per Speedcom). One customer mentioned there was a teenie bit of feedback on the intercom in a Cayman but it was so minimal and sound quality and volume controls are so much better than the old Chatterbox tethered system.
  • Operate from your car’s 12 volt system or 4 AA batteries
  • Independent volume control for the driver and driver coach
  • Audio output that you can patch into your video system to record the conversation in real time
  • IMSA connections automatically plug in to pre-wired helmets with IMSA plug or you can use student headsets sold separately.
System is $99.95 intro price, headsets are $69.95 intro price. We have a few on order due in next week, then they are sold out until the next batch comes end of March!

https://apexperformance.net/shop/dri...cers/speedcom/

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Looks good. Is the power cable removable?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:36 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Looks good. Is the power cable removable?
Yes, power cable will unplug from the back.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Yes, power cable will unplug from the back.
adapter needed for Stilo plug configuration?
Old 02-23-2018, 01:50 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

adapter needed for Stilo plug configuration?
You'll need a Stilo to IMSA plug to work with this.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:46 PM
cmac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have a model with a third connector so that it could also be tied in with a radio?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:44 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cmac
Do they have a model with a third connector so that it could also be tied in with a radio?
They have a full blown intercom that has a radio patch. This intercom system must be permanently installed in the vehicle and it will transmit and receive signals through a radio.
It retails for $599.95 plus the radio plus the PTT buttons - you can find it direct thru them at www.speedcom.com
Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dimensions? What are the horizontal extensions for?
Old 02-23-2018, 04:41 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

expecting them next week and can get measurements.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:09 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Very cool. I was thinking about purchasing a Racecom Trac-com Intercom system this spring. Is this system similar other than the option of it being hard mounted? I'm interested.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

speedcom said their volume controls are much better. the Trac com volume doesn't get louder until the **** is turned about 3/4 of they way. however we have had overall good feedback on the Trac com. some customers said the earpiece on the headset is somewhat thicker so if your helmet fits tight, the earpiece might be uncomfortable

not sure how the speedcom ear pieces will compare until they arrive next week.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:43 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Speedcom communciator vs. trac-com

Originally Posted by alevine
Very cool. I was thinking about purchasing a Racecom Trac-com Intercom system this spring. Is this system similar other than the option of it being hard mounted? I'm interested.
Both run off batteries or you can hard wire the speedcom.
Trac-com requires adapters if you have pre-installed electronics in your helmet (or you use a student headset)
Speedcom will accept IMSA plug directly from pre-wired helmet (or you use a student headset or get a nascar to imsa adapter)
Speedcom claims their volume control is much better - the Trac-com volume doesn't get louder until the dial is turned about 3/4 of the way. Speedcom volume adjustment kicks in quicker when dialing the ****.
The trac-com plugs are locking, the speedcom plug in (but are good, solid plugs ins, not easy to unplug by accident)
Expecting the speedcoms this week to compare size but look similar to trac-com communicator size.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DCP
Dimensions? What are the horizontal extensions for?
The unit is designed so that you can place it below a roll bar and you would put a wire tie or hose clamp around each of the tabs to hold it on to the roll bar.
If the user does not want to mount it, the unit can just put into a cup holder or lay it on the center console.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:10 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Both run off batteries or you can hard wire the speedcom.
Trac-com requires adapters if you have pre-installed electronics in your helmet (or you use a student headset)
Speedcom will accept IMSA plug directly from pre-wired helmet (or you use a student headset or get a nascar to imsa adapter)
Speedcom claims their volume control is much better - the Trac-com volume doesn't get louder until the dial is turned about 3/4 of the way. Speedcom volume adjustment kicks in quicker when dialing the ****.
The trac-com plugs are locking, the speedcom plug in (but are good, solid plugs ins, not easy to unplug by accident)
Expecting the speedcoms this week to compare size but look similar to trac-com communicator size.
Curious if you have an update on the SpeedCom? Did you receive any yet? Feedback and pics would be great! Thanks.

Adam
Old 03-07-2018, 07:31 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Speedcom communciator

Originally Posted by alevine
Curious if you have an update on the SpeedCom? Did you receive any yet? Feedback and pics would be great! Thanks.

Adam

This is the first feedback I have received from a customer that got one last week:So after a weekend with the new communicator, I like it a lot. I actually used my Chatterbox with my student because the new unit is a little more bulky and more wires and is designed to be fastened (zip-tie in my case) to the crossbar that passes by the glovebox area. My student and I used the Chatterbox in my car for the first session and then the Speedcom in my car after but kept using the Chatterbox in his car because it was easier that way and his Cayman S was stock and not all that loud. We both noticed that while the Speedcom wasn’t any louder, the communication was MUCH clearer. If the future I will probably take the Speedcom unit into the student car as hearing a voice isn’t necessarily the same as understanding the command. With the Chatterbox at times student and/or instructor are having to spend important milliseconds and attention trying to determine exactly what was said and that’s not good at all given the risks. I am so much more confident that woh Speedcom that dialogue back and forth is clear consistently. I also like that it can be plugged into my external mic on my Smarty cam (or at least I believe it can) to record the dialogue as part of the video.

Quick Reply: *NEW* Speedcom Communicator