iRacing times vs. real life

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:39 PM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iRacing times vs. real life

Hi Guys,

So how do these compare? Thinking this through myself - in iRacing you can’t feel the car so I feel like I would be faster if I could. That said, I also have no risk so I drive closer to the edge. I’m just wondering what everyone’s opinion is here?

Last edited by schaibaa; 02-21-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Not iRacing, but on Forza I am within 1 second at VIR, WGI, and COTA. My real and sim E46 M3 have identical specs- power, weight, gear ratio. Other mods are directionally the same but tire grip always seems less in sim than in real life. Also, I can't turn off TC in Sim without over steering out of every corner.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,801 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Generally quicker in the Cup car than possible in real life. No surprise!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-21-2018, 04:54 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how it compares to others, but I'm 3-4 seconds faster in the iRacing 991.2 Cup than I am in real life in a 991.1 Cup. Certainly not 100% apples to apples, but I've never driven a .2 in real life.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:31 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JarheadGT3
Not sure how it compares to others, but I'm 3-4 seconds faster in the iRacing 991.2 Cup than I am in real life in a 991.1 Cup. Certainly not 100% apples to apples, but I've never driven a .2 in real life.
That would be about right....the 991.2 is a LOT quicker than the 991.1
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 PM
JarheadGT3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLA997
That would be about right....the 991.2 is a LOT quicker than the 991.1
Obviously it's hard to get a sensory feel for how quick it is, but I definitely saw more of 6th gear!
Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 AM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

No idea. The few times I tried on friends SIM I crashed before getting all the way around.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:31 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be really interested to know how the SRF compares to real-life times. I think that might be the most accurate, and I can imagine real times being faster, since I have a hard time getting a feel for that model in iRacing.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I would be really interested to know how the SRF compares to real-life times. I think that might be the most accurate, and I can imagine real times being faster, since I have a hard time getting a feel for that model in iRacing.
It's been a while since I've done iRacing but the sim was always faster.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
It's been a while since I've done iRacing but the sim was always faster.
Always faster in the sim although to be fair I don't have a real world Ferrari or Cup car for reference

I think that is a tremendous asset though. I find when I drive something faster in the sim while preparing for a new track i've never seen before it helps me slow things down on my first few actual laps. It's as though the overwhelming effect of trying to "learn" the track is gone and I can focus on perfecting lines opposed to learning them almost from lap 2 or 3.
To me that is the benefit of the sim. When combined with virtual trackwalks especially I can literally train my eyes to be where they should be without ever turning a lap.

If you think about it, a lot of pilots now do not make their first certified flight on a new aircraft until an actual revenue generating flight. They can literally certify their type rating entirely in the sim without flying the real world aircraft. If it's good enough for them

I actually think if you aren't using a sim at this point it is going to become more and more of a disadvantage moving forward as those around you start to leverage them not to become better drivers but to improve reaction times, sensory perception, not to mention track layouts etc etc
Old 02-22-2018, 01:09 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3DE
The few times I tried on friends SIM I crashed before getting all the way around.
Wow, I didn't realize that SIM was that realistic
Old 02-22-2018, 01:35 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman
Wow, I didn't realize that SIM was that realistic
You win the internet for the day
Old 02-22-2018, 01:40 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm faster in real life, but that's not saying much. I look for sensory cues that the sim can't provide. However, many of the fastest sim drivers don't race in real life, so they are looking for the feedback the sim provides and that's all the input they are used to. They know how to use that feedback much better than I do and, as you mention, sim racers get unlimited laps 24/7 with no accidents and no delays.

If the car and tracks were modeled with 100% accuracy and the sim racers and real drivers have equal talent, the sim racers can always put in far more laps than real racers and therefore they can get better times. They can't be perfectly accurate though.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM
na94
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to drive the sim more ***** out. My ring time in a cup .2 is about a 7:19 which is quite slow for a professional, but is much faster than I would ever attempt with real money.

I generally stick to iracing, but now and then pop into assetto corsa.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by na94
I tend to drive the sim more ***** out. My ring time in a cup .2 is about a 7:19 which is quite slow for a professional, but is much faster than I would ever attempt with real money.

I generally stick to iracing, but now and then pop into assetto corsa.
I just started using race room for the Nordschleife. Here is a 6:55 in the 911 GT3r. Sim or not I was sweating by the end of this lol! I wish you could see what my hands were doing during the actual session. Pretty sloppy on the back half actually. Got some coaching last night from a guy who ran a 6:38. I'm pretty sure there is not a chance I would come close to those times in real life!!

Quick Reply: iRacing times vs. real life