Sponsored by:

What Parts "Time Out" on a DE car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
Thanks for all of the comments. I've gone through the suggestions and started a list.
  1. Wheel Studs - $160
    I'm still using OEM lugs, though they are not the originals
  2. Caliper Stud Nuts- $40
    I have studs installed but never thought to replace the nuts
  3. LCA's - $450 each (x4)
  4. Caliper Rebuild - $120 (assuming the pistons are in good shape)
    Did this 2 years ago so I guess it's due
  5. Axles and CV Joints - $600 (x4)
    It's a Turbo
  6. Wheel Bearings (x4) - $90 each
  7. Wheel Carriers AKA "Knuckle" (x4) - $490 each
  8. LSD - $3000
  9. Suspension - I don't even want to know. Guessing $5 to $7K.
Not including the suspension (or any labor), we're at $9,840. Way more than I was expecting and I can't swing a giant invoice right now especially since I won't be doing many DE's this year. I'll have to do in pieces.
So how would you prioritize this list?
wheel studs?? i dont know of anyone that has ever changed one with the purpose of preventative maint. sure , you could change every bolt on the car if you wanted to, but the prudent way is to change things that are going to wear out and cause problems if they do. LSDs for example, if they meet spec, why bother ? suspension, maybe every 10 seasons, but again, you can check to make sure all is working well. axles, CV joints , wheel bearings? most of these dont fail catastrophically but do go bad eventually, so they are good to change after a car is 10 years old. generally I wait for the noise, or if it is a WYAIT situation, change then. caliper stud nuts? why? do the fail? just check to make sure they are torqued.
i would focus on engine items that can fail and destroy an engine.(timing belt, chain, etc)
keep the oil changed as well as other fluids as well as brake pads when time, and you should be good for a long time.
put it this way.. you provide a list, and i can provide equal as many things that are just as important to change that you might not have even thought about.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Step 1) Totally ignore the previous Post.

You have some nice items on your list. Prioritize wear items(wheel bearings), versus fatigue items(uprights). Also LSDs can be rebuilt. And it doesnt cost $3000. Also a good suspension is less than $5-7K. In addition, if you are running on track, dump the 4wd setup. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid....
Old 02-27-2018, 01:22 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 115 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
I could tell you, but you dont want to hear it. These are in most cases aluminum components in the suspension with varying amounts of rubber. Add to that wheel bearings that are the same as Cupcars. Add sticky tires, good suspension, etc etc and when your lap times are coming down then your parts wear and stress is increasing. There is a pretty good list recently in the Cupcar Forum that many DE drivers should look at for 996 997s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...arts-last.html
Have they released a vane kit for the Aisin lsd? For years you could only buy a complete replacement lsd. There was no service pack like a Cup or GT3.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:33 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm rigid on this....I replace everything....that breaks....
Old 02-27-2018, 09:57 PM
Vetch
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just found out that my harnesses are expired now. There's another $600 to $800. For a garage kept DE car, doesn't seem to make sense that they would time-out. My OEM seat belts are not timing out. I don't think any club has ever checked them anyhow.

My car has become a BOATT - "bring on another ten thousand".
Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetch
Just found out that my harnesses are expired now. There's another $600 to $800. For a garage kept DE car, doesn't seem to make sense that they would time-out. My OEM seat belts are not timing out. I don't think any club has ever checked them anyhow.

My car has become a BOATT - "bring on another ten thousand".
Unless your racing or the belts have been subject to years of UV exposure they should be fine for DE. Make sure to check for any deterioration though.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

This is what Porsche recommends in the owners' manual for every 6,000 - 12,000 track miles:
Old 02-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yep PCA checks belt dates. Mine replaced- it is what it is. ALSO NJMP - Call APEX. Linda. :-) Joe from NASA will be getting back to me regarding their
rules.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 02-28-2018 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: What Parts "Time Out" on a DE car?