Sponsored by:

replacing tire on one side - how much difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:27 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing tire on one side - how much difference

Just found a nail in rear tire during brake fluid flush and inspection. Can get the one tire replaced under road hazard, but do I spring for the extra $300 plus tax for the OTHER side? if I don't, the new tire will be 9 or 10 32nds (I think that is Michelin Super Sport new) and the old but good one is at 6/32.

3 or 4 32nds inch doesn't seem like "much" to me and I think I will burn maybe that much after 6 hours of hard tracking. I say save my money for next full set of rubber. Just curious if the stability control nanny will freak out over that difference...

about 1% difference in diameter / rolling radius

Comments?

(2011 cayman s)

Last edited by chancecasey; 02-17-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:06 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We can shave the new tire to match the other side. Just give us the tread depth it needs to be at when you place the order. $30. Call me if I can help.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I had to get the new tire from a different vendor b/c it's under warranty. Would you guys do it for the same price even if it's a newly-mounted one from somewhere else?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:37 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Take the new one from the warranty claim and store it properly. Order a shaved one from Damon, order three next time you need tires .
Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
I had to get the new tire from a different vendor b/c it's under warranty. Would you guys do it for the same price even if it's a newly-mounted one from somewhere else?

Do you expect to cover S&H to and from? Don't you have a shop in your area that can do this?

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Take the new one from the warranty claim and store it properly. Order a shaved one from Damon, order three next time you need tires .
+1
Old 02-17-2018, 05:41 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I am not shipping the tire anywhere just asking "in general" what his policy is since he chimed in. Wondering what a good shave costs these days...

Unfortunately the local vendor must mount the new tire not hand it to me, and they do not shave, so I"m just going to roll with it. I'm sure I can find a local shop to shave it if I really want.

thanks!!!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:36 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In dry conditions you would be hard pressed to notice a difference. In wet the older tire will lose grip in standing water before the newer tire with deeper tread. Don't be an idiot driving in the rain and you should be fine. ABS & stability control generally is unperturbed by mismatches of diameter of less than 3% even racing.

My avatar picture is racing on slicks in the rain, would have loved to have been on your mismatched street tires for that race - rain started during race.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
Just found a nail in rear tire during brake fluid flush and inspection. Can get the one tire replaced under road hazard, but do I spring for the extra $300 plus tax for the OTHER side? if I don't, the new tire will be 9 or 10 32nds (I think that is Michelin Super Sport new) and the old but good one is at 6/32.

3 or 4 32nds inch doesn't seem like "much" to me and I think I will burn maybe that much after 6 hours of hard tracking. I say save my money for next full set of rubber. Just curious if the stability control nanny will freak out over that difference...

about 1% difference in diameter / rolling radius

Comments?

(2011 cayman s)
Stick a radial plug in it. if you do that right, and its in the tread, you will have no issue with it.
if you do go new, that is not a difference to cause any issues, (diameter-wise) other than having a new tire and a used tire on the rear of the car.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:50 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In my early days, I put a new tire on my front-right and I thought I had a few more cycles available on the front-left.

Bad idea.... In a heavy braking zone, the front-left (with less good friction) locked, and the sticky front-right kept braking. Car did a snap spin at 100+ and pulled the car right. Luckily it was in a wide track and right hand turn (T1 at Watkins Glen) so I didn't hit anything. If it had been in a left hander, I would have seriously damaged the car.

If there's any serious wear on the "good" tire, I'd replace it too and keep a matching set.

Quick Reply: replacing tire on one side - how much difference