Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Tow Hook for Cayman Track Car ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Rear Tow Hook for Cayman Track Car ??

Hi,

I've got a 2006 Cayman S dedicated track car. This winter we opened up the back bumper cover, removing the license plate holder, lights, and bumperettes, and replacing them with mesh. A bit of increased cooling.

My question is whether anyone knows a good solution for a tow hook. I can certainly use the same location, but the new screen is flush with the bumper so the tow hook would need to be about 3" longer. Does anyone sell a compatible racing hook for that location? I've see people mount to the bumper bar and cut a slot out of the rear bumper cover, and am happy to do that as well, if anyone can point me to a product or can describe what they have done. I've seen both the Rennline style hooks used, as well as hooks mounted through the bumper cover. Here's an example I found with an image search as an example (one of the cars Seb was selling here a while ago).

Thanks for listening!
-Erik
Old 02-16-2018, 06:25 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I can't help you on something you can buy off the shelf but this is what I had fabricated when I was building my car. I had a new bumper made with an attachment point for the tow hook. The hook attaches with a bolt and spring washers to provide tension so the hook does not swing out.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I would simply ditch the screen. You don't need it. Use the Rennline hook or simply a strap attached to the crash bar.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks both. Yeah, something custom is the fallback, still hoping there's something out there that will be a bit easier, like a longer tow hook that has the right threads. Found one shop that has something like it for Subarus but I have no idea if the thread is the same.

Frank, I probably should have just gone that route, but the screen is aready done, and done pretty well. It looks like the interseries cars have something closer to what certz has done. Anyone know what parts they used?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:18 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi

Look my new pictures

We now use a custom crash bar and hook
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 AM
russell263
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Difool
Hi,

I've got a 2006 Cayman S dedicated track car. This winter we opened up the back bumper cover, removing the license plate holder, lights, and bumperettes, and replacing them with mesh. A bit of increased cooling.

My question is whether anyone knows a good solution for a tow hook. I can certainly use the same location, but the new screen is flush with the bumper so the tow hook would need to be about 3" longer. Does anyone sell a compatible racing hook for that location? I've see people mount to the bumper bar and cut a slot out of the rear bumper cover, and am happy to do that as well, if anyone can point me to a product or can describe what they have done. I've seen both the Rennline style hooks used, as well as hooks mounted through the bumper cover. Here's an example I found with an image search as an example (one of the cars Seb was selling here a while ago).

Thanks for listening!
-Erik
Not much of a help here as I havent gotten here yet, but I assumed this is what was used when running it through a slotted bumper:
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rac...ductinfo/E01X/

On a similar topic, to allow for the venting is the rear crash bar completely removed, modified or a custom bar fabbed? Most Ive seem look like the bar is fully removed

Old 02-17-2018, 10:18 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by russell263
Not much of a help here as I havent gotten here yet, but I assumed this is what was used when running it through a slotted bumper:
http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Rac...ductinfo/E01X/

On a similar topic, to allow for the venting is the rear crash bar completely removed, modified or a custom bar fabbed? Most Ive seem look like the bar is fully removed
There are a lot of people that have removed the crash bars for weight which is a really stupid move. There is no reason to remove them or modify them for cooling reasons in the rear. Some people replace the stock crash bars with custom bars for better protection. This makes particular sense in the front where custom bars provide better protection for the radiators. For the rear there is also no reason to mount a screen as that inhibits airflow also.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Paseb
Race Car

some people remove them for look haha (me)

frank, maybe i should remove the screen, i could gain .5 sec
Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paseb
some people remove them for look haha (me)

frank, maybe i should remove the screen, i could gain .5 sec
you better put it back on - how else are we going to be bump drafting at VIR?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

you better put it back on - how else are we going to be bump drafting at VIR?
hahaha good point, about that, i need to talk to you, i will messenger you later, going out boxing now.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Thanks Russel, those should work great. We found something similar on Pelican, but I like the Rennline ones better. I also found the extensive list of generic tow hook receivers rennline sells to allow for a folding tow hook in custom applications.

I agree with keeping the crash bar! Air should move around it just fine.

Pelican Parts - https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=5348

A couple examples from Rennline for the folding tow hook.
http://www.rennline.com/Universal-Sc...oductinfo/E84/

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Uni...uctinfo/E81-4/

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Uni...oductinfo/E82/

http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Uni...ctinfo/E81-10/
Old 02-17-2018, 11:57 AM
russell263
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a lot of people that have removed the crash bars for weight which is a really stupid move. There is no reason to remove them or modify them for cooling reasons in the rear. Some people replace the stock crash bars with custom bars for better protection. This makes particular sense in the front where custom bars provide better protection for the radiators. For the rear there is also no reason to mount a screen as that inhibits airflow also.
Makes sense, and saw this approach on your old car

Thanks for the info
Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Agree with Frank, but I like the look of the screen and the folding hook which is why I went that route. The screen does catch track rubber and grass, for those times you do a little track side grounds keeping. This is what I did in the front due to what frank said about trying to protect the radiators - the stock crash bar does not protect the radiators whatsoever. I did have the tow hook modified to the swing type since this picture.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certz
Agree with Frank, but I like the look of the screen and the folding hook which is why I went that route. The screen does catch track rubber and grass, for those times you do a little track side grounds keeping. This is what I did in the front due to what frank said about trying to protect the radiators - the stock crash bar does not protect the radiators whatsoever. I did have the tow hook modified to the swing type since this picture.
wow - this is nice! Source for the front crash bar?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:25 PM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

the brs version of the rear crash bar has been removed from their site - anyone have other source?

tia!

Quick Reply: Rear Tow Hook for Cayman Track Car ??