Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cash Tips for DE Instructors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Thanks all, the responses are in-line with my understanding of the instructor/student relationship. While instructors more than deserve tips for their efforts, tipping is neither expected nor customary.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
I have only been tipped once, and it felt very awkward. I personally do not expect tips from students. The reward for me is helping someone improve their skills and have a fun and safe day on track. If I can accomplish those by the end of the day/event then I got everything I was expecting in payback.

I also do a lot of one ride along's with people who are black or white run group people and offer a small amount of coaching to them. I also expect nothing from these ride along's as the payback is the same for me.

I do also offer coaching services to people which I do expect to get paid for, but those students get a very different level of service and attention.

As a student, the biggest thing you can do for your instructor is give him/her the respect of listening working to implement what your instructor is trying to teach you the best way you can. The more you do that, the more your instructor can give you. It then becomes a two way street as you get the learning and your instructor gets the satisfaction of teaching. Also, communicate with your instructor. If your struggling or don't understand what he is telling you, tell him that. There is a lot going on in a car and sometimes your instructor may not see what or why something isn't working out.
Thanks Matt. You comment sums up perfectly the general sentiment I've heard expressed by almost EVERY instructor I've had the pleasure of either riding with or speaking with. Spot on!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

No tips ever offered by me when I was a student, no tips ever accepted as in instructor. However, if I was ever going to lunch with my instructor, I always insisted on buying him lunch. (We're talking WaWa, Subway, Shannon's (NJMP) and other dives in close proximity to the track.)

I was instructing for Fabspeed at a private event at NJMP and a very nice guy who was my student in a McLaren 560s offered me a tip and asked if he could hire me for future events. I politely declined telling him that just being in the McLaren all day was well worth my time. I then directed him to REAL coaches like Peter, VR, Todd Reid and Todd Lamb, who have stellar reputations as paid instructors, and Brian Sellers who is as great an instructor as he is a pro driver and whom we've used on several occasions.

I'm an adequate DE instructor for Green, Yellow and Blue students...after that, I know my limitations and would rather see somebody use a paid pro. Now, if you want to pay me for appearing in the next film you're directing with Stormy Daniels....I'm in!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Yellow996
No tips ever offered by me when I was a student, no tips ever accepted as in instructor. However, if I was ever going to lunch with my instructor, I always insisted on buying him lunch. (We're talking WaWa, Subway, Shannon's (NJMP) and other dives in close proximity to the track.)

I was instructing for Fabspeed at a private event at NJMP and a very nice guy who was my student in a McLaren 560s offered me a tip and asked if he could hire me for future events. I politely declined telling him that just being in the McLaren all day was well worth my time. I then directed him to REAL coaches like Peter, VR, Todd Reid and Todd Lamb, who have stellar reputations as paid instructors, and Brian Sellers who is as great an instructor as he is a pro driver and whom we've used on several occasions.

I'm an adequate DE instructor for Green, Yellow and Blue students...after that, I know my limitations and would rather see somebody use a paid pro. Now, if you want to pay me for appearing in the next film you're directing with Stormy Daniels....I'm in!
Great, I hear they're hiring fluffers! lol
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

In that case....I'm out!
Old 02-14-2018, 07:43 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Having been a paid instructor at MMC, yes we have and do receive tips. Some more than others. However, this should not be confused with instructing on a strictly volunteer basis. As a PCA instructor I have never received a cash tip, was I offered and adult beverage after the track goes cold, yes. Most if not all instructors consider giving back to the sport tip enough.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks259
Having been a paid instructor at MMC, yes we have and do receive tips. Some more than others. However, this should not be confused with instructing on a strictly volunteer basis. As a PCA instructor I have never received a cash tip, was I offered and adult beverage after the track goes cold, yes. Most if not all instructors consider giving back to the sport tip enough.
Very well said...
Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Nothing bad ever happened with just the tip.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

I wouldnt accept tips either, im doing this to help other and have passion like I do.

Best reward is when my students told me they learned a lot from me.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Many of us Instructors with clubs have started as student and worked our way up to Instructor. Many Instructors helped us to get to the instructor level, once there we give back like others before us. Non of my Instructor friend have every expected a tip or even bring it up.

Now what is everyone's thought's on tipping or not the Porsche driving coaches at the Experience centers in LA and ATL?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

I've accepted a few frosty beverages and even a couple of lunches but I would not accept cash. If I were doing it for the money then I'm doing it wrong in the first place.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:05 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At MMC once I took it when I was Coaching there in the early days. Awkward since I didn't know it made the person feel bigger I think. And truly grateful for the real help that day on track.
Also once took it & with the student we went to get some gasoline to take him out for a Demo ride. I was on near empty. Some Corporate events they tip.
Some force on me at times but not significant. More the gesture and than buy them a drink that evening at event. Refused many times as well- Ferrari ..
Greatest reward these days are seeing 1st time students become Instructors over the years (most of them passing me now) And getting thanks from people I haven't seen in years.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
3. $1,000 - "Clearly the next Senna" written in student's log book.
LOL!! This one's kinda tempting...
Old 02-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I had my student buy me a hot dog and a bottle of water for the price of picking my brain over lunch. Other than that a cold beer has been the only other offer I have received.

That being said, perhaps it is because I have not published my fee schedule:

1. $100 - Recommend promotion to next run group.
2. $500 - Recommend student as instructor candidate.
3. $1,000 - "Clearly the next Senna" written in student's log book.
Epic..love it! How about including $50 for a solo sign-off...
Old 02-15-2018, 12:18 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sparks259

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Very well said...
No tip expected or recieved for club events. Enthusiasm and appreciation are all that is necessary. Without enthusiasm and appreciation it is very easy to opt out of the instruction.

However, in a paid coaching environment, and knowing how little money our coaches actually get paid, tips ARE very much appreciated, but never asked for.
It takes an extraordinary amount of work and effort to maintain a professional level of enthusiasm and patience in a high stress environment four times a day. Day after day.

Quick Reply: Cash Tips for DE Instructors