Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disability Insurance Q?

Old 02-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Disability Insurance Q?

As an instructor entering her fifth season (third season instructing) I am increasingly pondering this question:
Perhaps if I die instructing (or racing/DEing) my family will be better off?

What if I don't die, but end up debilitated, or unable to work for a half decade or more...what is my recourse?

Wouldn't that be the worsER outcome?

If I can't work. I lose my job (and thus presumably my health insurance coverage, as well as disability coverage.)

Anyone know what kind of coverage the club organizers have in the instance of instructor disability?

Many knowledgeable folks here, so I am just asking for I an answer to give that my very brainy hubster (and I myself) will actually buy.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:09 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Do you have Own Occ personal disability coverage?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:36 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PCA DE participants (including Instructors) are covered by the PCA Participant Insurance policy. A summary of coverage is on the PCA website.

For loss of income it's $100/week for 52 weeks. Don't count on it to feed your family.

https://www.pca.org/resource/partici...mmary-coverage

Many (most?) other DE sponsors provide NO insurance protection.

Last edited by STLPCA; 02-14-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:56 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by CFGT3
Do you have Own Occ personal disability coverage?
This. If you cannot work in your own occupation then it pays out, regardless (more or less).
Old 02-14-2018, 07:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Read the policy carefully, my disability would not cover me if I was hurt doing just about anything fun.. Racing in any form, mountain climbing, skydiving, or even bull fighting!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:21 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,193 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Policies vary by company as well as state. The only way to get the answer is to read your policy.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:50 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Policies vary by company as well as state. The only way to get the answer is to read your policy.
+1 And make sure you have the entire policy. In many cases your company will add terms and conditions (and exclusions) in the form of an innocent sounding "addendum" that is sent/attached separately - and this might happen each year. Your entire, legally binding policy is the aggregation of all these documents. I hate big government, bureaucracy, and regulations, but one thing that should change (IMO) is insurance companies should be required to provide each policy holder ONE single, complete document that contains their policy, and not "hide" it among a various docs in various places. It is already hard enough to read without trying to read one doc as a base document and delete sentence 3 from paragraph 2 of section 3.5 and replace with another, equally complex sentence.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, good ideas here.
Looked up my Long Term policy -- a cheerful read.

In looking at other options, I can only find ones where the Own Occupation coverage phases out after hitting retirement age.
Is that true for all LTD policies?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,855 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr911
Thanks, good ideas here.
Looked up my Long Term policy -- a cheerful read.

In looking at other options, I can only find ones where the Own Occupation coverage phases out after hitting retirement age.
Is that true for all LTD policies?
"Typically" it is now. If you've had a policy for a long time (15+ years or more), there are some policies that pay benefits well after 65 yrs old, but the policies being written now are more restrictive.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

You need to self insure. Since I'm a solo business owner I've had all that in place for a long time. Disability, overhead, life, etc, etc, etc.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:51 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Disability insurance is the answer to "how will I survive if I can't work", whether caused by illness, acts of god, or racetracks.

Whether or not a policy will exclude race track occuring disabilities is about "when" you purchased the policy and what the insurer asked.

If one purchased an individual disability policy years prior to starting your racing hobby, then a disability occuring at the race track ought to be covered, because the track habit started after the purchase of the insurance.

Basic insurance policies generally don't exclude dangerous hobbies. However, when one purchases a disability policy, the insurer asks some sort of motorsports (and airplane, hang gliding, mountaineering, etc) question. You have to answer truthfully as your answers are part of the contract.. My experience is most of the major insurers will exclude amateur racing for a positive answer. Not always for disclosure of DE only. In a few states--NY most notably--they're not allowed to exclude motorsport caused disabilities.

If you're covered by a large employer's group long term coverage, I've never seen a hazardous hobby exclusion. Doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere of course.

Last edited by mhm993; 02-17-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 490 Posts

Similarity to periodically checking your credit report with the relevant agencies, it is important to check your MIB information, which is the information insurance companies share with each other about you: https://www.mib.com/request_your_record.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disability Insurance Q?