Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Budget

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm probably an outlier since I run street tires and only run at events I instruct at, but I spend under $1k/weekend all in. Sometimes well under that if I split a hotel or camp. Add the track fee in for not instructing and I'd say $1,500/weekend is about right for street tires on 981S (probably similar for 991, but I don't have one so I don't know).
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Last season, I did about 35-40 track days, both DE's and open track days at my membership track.
I added up what I thought were all the expenses involved, including, but not limited to:

Registration fees, track insurance, travel miles (fuel), track fuel, lodging, food, beverage, trailer tires and maintenance, track car maintenance items (pads, rotors, tires, etc), mods to track car, tips for instructors, cigars, track snacks, Gatorade, etc etc. All in all, think I thought of pretty much everything, but I'm sure there are expenses I left out.
When all added together, I had spent about $38,000 total on the 35 to 40 track days. Again, this is TOTAL, every little thing I could think of.

I then realized, much to my surprise, that I was spending about $1000 per day total for every day on track.

Once I realized how much I was spending, I swore I would never tell my wife and kids what that number was. I still haven't. I am not lying to her. I am just not bringing it up, and she has never really asked.

One thing is for sure. I AM NOT taking anything away from my wife and kids (financially) with my track spending. Only my time, and that, in the end, may turn out to be the biggest expense of all.
Sorry CharleyH, I added it up. I think everybody should just to see how stupidly expensive this hobby really is. Will put other things in perspective.
To the OP, be open and honest with your wife, unless that will hurt you. In that case, lie like a rug!!
Well, to be fair, you jumped in on the deep end of the pool with a 991 turbo. Expensive tires, brakes, insurance etc.

Its an expensive hobby, no doubt, but thats why I decided to buy a cheap 986 boxster to track instead of my 997tt. Better to learn with, no insurance necessary, and consumables would be nearly free compared to the turbo. I know I can't spend $1k a day on this hobby, so I found a cheaper way to have fun.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Definitely ways to mitigate this. One is attitude, do you want to win the DE Trophy every event? If so, you'll be spending a lot of money on really stick tires and brakes. If you just want to have fun and improve your skills, a set of tires can last an entire season, depending on how many events of course. Your choice in car will dramatically effect your spending budget as well, the M3 is pretty cheap to run.
I tend to make it to 6 events a year, maybe 8 days worth? I can get a set of R compounds to last the entire season, mostly because the M3 is pretty gentle on tires and I can rotate them to any corner of the car. I instruct for NASA, so no event fees with them, but I do pay when I run with PCA. The M3 is pretty gentle on brakes/tires and is fairly reliable. I probably spend $300 an event, spread across the season.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:39 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Well, to be fair, you jumped in on the deep end of the pool with a 991 turbo. Expensive tires, brakes, insurance etc.

Its an expensive hobby, no doubt, but thats why I decided to buy a cheap 986 boxster to track instead of my 997tt. Better to learn with, no insurance necessary, and consumables would be nearly free compared to the turbo. I know I can't spend $1k a day on this hobby, so I found a cheaper way to have fun.
I only tracked the turbo at the beginning. My $1000/day is for the 981S I currently track. I agree that I did jump in at the deep end, but the only thing I really replaced on the TTS were the tires. I was a novice for sure when I had the Turbo on the track.
I got a dedicated track car, which is a 14 Cayman S that pulls the track duty these last couple years. That's what I'm basing that $1000 on. Tires, brake pads, mods, it all adds up very quickly. Throw in food, bevy's, reg fees, and lodging and I got to that number pretty quickly.
I have accepted the cost as part of this hobby. It is what it is.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Last season, I did about 35-40 track days, both DE's and open track days at my membership track.
You're an animal! Way more than I get in. Good job.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
You're an animal! Way more than I get in. Good job.
Hello. My name is Dgrobs, and I am a track addict....
Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Wait until you decide to go racing - it makes DE look like its free!

^^^^ This. Once you add compete/racing to any hobby (I don't care if it is playing cribbage......) it becomes expensive. Amazing how we justify what we need for racing. Additionally, try quitting....
Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by fosbibr
^^^^ This. Once you add compete/racing to any hobby (I don't care if it is playing cribbage......) it becomes expensive. Amazing how we justify what we need for racing. Additionally, try quitting....
Hahaha! Yep...

Been trying for thirty-five plus years. Can't do it!

Tires are my largest single line item... Not too many things better than a warm slick, on the first hot lap!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-12-2018, 04:10 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Tires are my largest single line item...
Lots of track days, lots of tires, lots of $$$$$. Asked TireRack for a quantity discount-- laughed and said "no".

Looking for a sponsor

Gary
Old 02-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember using 5 sets of tires a year for DE. The last graphics I put on my old 930 was a credit card slot on A pillar. Use to be in the 30+ days. Dam 930. I could have had 2 Cup cars & a tow rig :-) I have Damon on speed dial at Tire Rack.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aryork
I'm still working negotiations with my wife on the upcoming season. She is very concerned that I have a "money is no object" type of attitude with the car, and I think a budget limit would help her agree.
Easy fix: Lose the wife

Failing that, get her involved! Because as many have already said, once you get involved in this "hobby", it's all over. Seriously.

Gary
Old 02-12-2018, 05:14 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

del
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I have Damon on speed dial at Tire Rack.
Yeah, I just shake my head when I pull into the driveway after an event and see four MORE tires sitting on the front porch

Gary
Old 02-12-2018, 05:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,272 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
del
I have tire racks in my basement holding about 4 sets of tires mounted and a few stacks of unmounted tires. I believe my wife thinks they are always the same tires and I just pick and choose which ones I use and then return them to the tire rack. Probably in the same way I choose not to notice the new pocketbooks in her closet.

I'm pretty sure we both know what we are doing and choose to believe the other doesn't realize it.

Retaliatory spending - its a bitch!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:21 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

happiness is priceless, that's what you tell you wife!!

If you start budgeting track days you'll make yourself sick...lol

Quick Reply: DE Budget