Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roebling death

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I always accelerate....cause I drive flat out...Matt I thought you understood flat out physics

much like a seatbelt on the street, generally saves lives, but every So often, the person not wearing one makes out best...

some crashes a burm may save lives, some a tire wall, some a gravel trap.......it just depends
Old 02-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
This thread is so not full of win
No, not at all. This is the dysfunctional side of Rennlist at its best.
The memory of a fallen enthusiast and a seriously hurt instructor has been set aside for pettiness by the faux experts.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:12 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,285 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
No, not at all. This is the dysfunctional side of Rennlist at its best.
The memory of a fallen enthusiast and a seriously hurt instructor has been set aside for pettiness by the faux experts.
Yes.

Bottom line - its a dangerous sport and if you aren't aware of that you should hang up your helmet.

Amen.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Very sad news indeed. Condolences to the friends and family of the driver. Wishing the instructor a speedy recovery.

Maybe we should give the wider discussion a rest out of respect for the two individuals involved.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:34 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Very sad news indeed. Condolences to the friends and family of the driver. Wishing the instructor a speedy recovery.

Maybe we should give the wider discussion a rest out of respect for the two individuals involved.
Amen!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:26 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

None of us are being disrepectful of the two individuals involved. We're having a discussion on how to best avoid having this situation occur again, nothing more respectful than that. If you don't care to participate, that's your choice.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:31 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
None of us are being disrepectful of the two individuals involved. We're having a discussion on how to best avoid having this situation occur again, nothing more respectful than that. If you don't care to participate, that's your choice.
+1
I found the discussion interesting, illuminating, and not at all disrespectful.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

+1. If something happens to me at a track, please use that opportunity to figure out ways to prevent it from happening again to somebody else.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:31 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
+1 good point.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

None of you know what happened beyond rumor and supposition. Thus it is impossible to accurately discuss how to "prevent it from happening again ".

Geez.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

So we shouldn't have a discussion at all? I've found out that the car was running all oemsafety equipment. There's a discussion right there, that's already occured in this thread. What about not having right seat instruction? Yup, talked about in this thread. How about the earthern berm, or tracks that have grossly inadequate safety (cough, cough, Summit Point, cough, cough). Yup, talked about here.

I don't understand your point, are we to just put our fingers in our ears not try to affect a positive change?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

My point is that all we know for sure is the driver and vehicle failed to brake for T1, and the passenger had to steer to avoid impacting the vehicle ahead. When it went off track subsequently, it rolled.

I have seen vehicles roll over in T1 of COTA (arguably the "safest" track), T1 of the Glen, T1 of Road America, T1 of Road Atlanta, T1 of Summit Main, T1/T2 of TWS, T1 of MSR Cresson, T1 of CMP, T1 of Chuckwalla....the list goes on. See the common theme? T1 !!!

Until more FACTS are known, this discussion has no real merit.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
My point is that all we know for sure is the driver and vehicle failed to brake for T1, and the passenger had to steer to avoid impacting the vehicle ahead. When it went off track subsequently, it rolled.

I have seen vehicles roll over in T1 of COTA (arguably the "safest" track), T1 of the Glen, T1 of Road America, T1 of Road Atlanta, T1 of Summit Main, T1/T2 of TWS, T1 of MSR Cresson, T1 of CMP, T1 of Chuckwalla....the list goes on. See the common theme? T1 !!!

Until more FACTS are known, this discussion has no real merit.
No, you don't have to know every fact to discuss a concept. We can have a discussion inspired by the events that unfolded and reach conclusions, views and opinions without knowing anything other than that an incident happened.

It's believed that the driver had a medical event. If that ends up not being true that doesn't mean a discussion of whether medical screening could have value is not worth having. There's been a good discussion of the pros and cons of that already.

The car rolled over after hitting the berm. Whether that berm is the best available choice for that track is a discussion worth having.

etc
etc
Old 02-17-2018, 02:25 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I haven’t driven RR in 10 yrs and did so only once. Seems to me I’ve since heard of other off-road excursions at T1 there with failed or faulty brakes- sometimes ending up in the woods.

Does the runoff at T1 have a deep gravel trap?
If not, is there room- the gravel at Rd ATL T1 and T10a has been shown to absorb a lot of energy and quickly.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
No, you don't have to know every fact to discuss a concept. We can have a discussion inspired by the events that unfolded and reach conclusions, views and opinions without knowing anything other than that an incident happened.

It's believed that the driver had a medical event. If that ends up not being true that doesn't mean a discussion of whether medical screening could have value is not worth having. There's been a good discussion of the pros and cons of that already.

The car rolled over after hitting the berm. Whether that berm is the best available choice for that track is a discussion worth having.

etc
etc
Exactly. Incidents don't generally repeat themselves in every detail, but we can learn from each incident and especially from incident patterns. To avoid discussion intended to learn from incidents and prevent future incidents, instead chalking the incidents up to bad luck and asserting that the people involved knew the risk, and only they could potentially be at any fault, isn't a way to "respect" them.

Quick Reply: Roebling death