Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track brake pads - PFC 08 or DTC-70?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts
Default Track brake pads - PFC 08 or DTC-70?

Did my first track day on R7's yesterday. Wow it was awesome. Clearly I need different brake pads now. I previously ran Hawk HP Pro Plus with my RE-71r tires but now that I am on R7's they seem to loose their initial bite once they get hot. My car is a 996 C2 and I am running the stock brake calipers rebuilt with stainless steel pistons, a 997 GT3 master cylinder, Castrol SRF brake fluid, and stock ATE rotors. My track use is 30 minute sessions at open track day, PCA HPDE, and NASA HPDE here in Colorado.

It appears the PFC 08 and the DTC-70 are the most popular choices. Any advice one way or the other? Price point is similar. So many posts about brake pads but reading them just makes me more confused.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Did my first track day on R7's yesterday. Wow it was awesome. Clearly I need different brake pads now. I previously ran Hawk HP Pro Plus with my RE-71r tires but now that I am on R7's they seem to loose their initial bite once they get hot. My car is a 996 C2 and I am running the stock brake calipers rebuilt with stainless steel pistons, a 997 GT3 master cylinder, Castrol SRF brake fluid, and stock ATE rotors. My track use is 30 minute sessions at open track day, PCA HPDE, and NASA HPDE here in Colorado.

It appears the PFC 08 and the DTC-70 are the most popular choices. Any advice one way or the other? Price point is similar. So many posts about brake pads but reading them just makes me more confused.

Thanks in advance.
PFC08 are pretty hard on rotors. I ran them for a few years on a PCCB converted .2RS. At the very end I switched to Ferodo DS1.11, and now use them on a Cayman (both cars on R7s). DS1.11 seem to be easier on rotors, and also seem to last longer. I think the overall friction level is down a bit, but it's linear with temps and more consistent. DTC-70 is not in the same category based on my experience with them on a E90M3. They seemed to be "forrest gumpy"...if that is a term. Every time I used the brakes, it was a different experience. As the brakes got hot, they changed character - probably due to both the pads and the one piston caliper design on the older BMWs. Hope that helps. You can get Ferrodos for a good price in the EU, or from vendors here on rennlist.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:05 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Hawk pad dust is extremely corrosive and will destroy your wheels if I gets wet. I also like the DS1.11 Ferodo and have had good luck with Cobalt Friction.

Peter
Old 03-26-2018, 11:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I really like PFC 08's. Most of the folks I race against do, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-26-2018, 11:16 AM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Have tried most of them from in a racing environment from, Pagid, PFC, Hawk and now run Cobalt, XR2 Front and XR3 Rear on my 968. Front rotor life has extended from annual replacement to about 1.5 years. I went back to PFC 08, BC I had them in trailer, but I'm back on the Cobalt bandwagon. It's a hard question to answer as many factors may make your experience different. Try different pads, keep good notes, as your results may be different, bases on car weight, tires, driving style, etc. Good luck
Old 03-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

We are a sponsor of both Rennlist and a National Sponsor of PCA Club Racing. We stock both PFC https://apexperformance.net/pfc-pors...ference-chart/ and Ferodo https://apexperformance.net/ferodo-porsche/. We know all models
and can tell you what is working for our other customers. Call for Rennlist pricing on Ferodo pads. Ferodo DS1.11 is the easiest on the rotors of all the brands we sell.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 03-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I really like PFC 08's. Most of the folks I race against do, too.
Funny how individual brake pads are. I like when my competitors run PFC 08!

To the OP, you really have to work a little to find the best pad for you. Talk to some people, take Clark up on his knowledge, and then try a pad. Then try something different. You'll never know what you like / don't like until you try a couple of different pads.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 524 Likes on 280 Posts

I've been using Hawk forever - originally ran Blue but went to DTC-70 when the car got faster. Had a friendly wager with the owner of one of the suppliers that his guy would out brake me 'every day of the week' with his PFC's...my video shows otherwise...:-) I brake really late and have lots of luck and am very happy with DTC-70. But....different people like different feel and different cars react differently to each brand and compound.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Last edited by NaroEscape; 03-26-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Just got off the phone w/ Clark. Discussed +/- of the various options. He made a good case for the Ferodo DS1.11 so I went with those. Will report back once I get them on the car for my next track weekend. Thanks all!
Old 03-26-2018, 02:06 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run both on my 997 GT3. They both work well but, as noted above, the brake dust on the Hawks can eat up your wheels. Mine isn’t bad, but there is some brake dust from the Hawks that I just can’t get off. I never had that problem with PFC 08’s. I didn’t notice the PFC’s chewing up my rotors, which someone above mentioned.

The PFC’s are quite a bit more expensive than the Hawks, last time I checked.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:21 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

+1 on Ferodo DS1.11 for track. If you use them on street, the are not quiet but don't dust as bad as OEM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
+1 on Ferodo DS1.11 for track. If you use them on street, the are not quiet but don't dust as bad as OEM.
LOL I'm used to it, my current Hawk pads squeal like a schoolgirl on the street. Getting a trailer soon so won't matter but up until now I drive to/from the track w/ my track tires on a roof rack. Looking forward to the Trailex.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:25 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

I still run 08's on my Cayman, the modulation and wear are outstanding, but they like good cooling. Love em, no plans to switch. Shame PFC hasn't released the 12 compound in mass, as it's the next-gen of the 08. You can only really get them in PFC caliper shapes, or other full motorsport pad shapes. Supposedly PFC is releasing more compounds for mass use though...so we'll see.

I run DS1.11 on my M3 and GT3 simply because I can't find anything I like better (and 08's aren't available), even though I don't particularly care for the higher initial bite they have. And they sound like a Greyhound bus on the street, just awful. But they do stop the car on track and last a long time. Rotors seem to last longer with DS1.11 instead of 08's though.

Recently tried Raybestos ST42's (it's their enduro compound) on my miata race car for WRL/AER enduros, and was blown away by their longevity. There are lots of guys running Hawk (and Carbotech) pads on miatas (DTC60/70) because they are cheap, but they also don't last anywhere nearly as long the 42's. I liked the ST42 so much I toyed with the idea of trying them on my M3 or GT3. The modulation is great, especially when you consider the car is on street tires (per rules) and no ABS. We had concern about lockup, but it's just fine. How they perform on a bigger, heavier fast car is yet to be seen, but that's why we test them.

I much prefer "endurance" type compounds. Start with 08's and then maybe try something else for your next set of pads.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:16 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
I still run 08's on my Cayman, the modulation and wear are outstanding, but they like good cooling. Love em, no plans to switch. Shame PFC hasn't released the 12 compound in mass, as it's the next-gen of the 08. You can only really get them in PFC caliper shapes, or other full motorsport pad shapes. Supposedly PFC is releasing more compounds for mass use though...so we'll see.

I run DS1.11 on my M3 and GT3 simply because I can't find anything I like better (and 08's aren't available), even though I don't particularly care for the higher initial bite they have. And they sound like a Greyhound bus on the street, just awful. But they do stop the car on track and last a long time. Rotors seem to last longer with DS1.11 instead of 08's though.
Basically what Clark told me. Both the PFC 08's and the Ferodo DS1.11 are great track pads. His take was that the PFCs can get a little unpredictable when they get really hot, meaning variable bite, which the Ferodos don't seem to do according to him. He also agrees your rotors will last a lot longer with the Ferodos. Price point is about the same between the two. We'll see how it goes for me w/ the Ferodo's.

Last edited by Nickshu; 03-26-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:02 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Basically what Clark told me. Both the PFC 08's and the Ferodo DS1.11 are great track pads. His take was that the PFCs can get a little unpredictable when they get really hot, meaning variable bite, which the Ferodos don't seem to do according to him. He also agrees your rotors will last a lot longer with the Ferodos. Price point is about the same between the two. We'll see how it goes for me w/ the Ferodo's.
Yes, that is exactly my experience with the 08s. As they heat up, the pedal feel changes. I've never seen a friction coefficient vs temp graph for the 08, but I would expect it to rise to a peak, and then fall off gently. The DS 1.11 on the other hand feels and behaves exactly the same lap after lap after lap. The friction vs temp plot is virtually flat - see below. The PFC08 'feels' more like the DSUNO plot.

Quick Reply: Track brake pads - PFC 08 or DTC-70?