ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Hats off to you, PLNewman.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
PL screw that I would have never instructed in that car the final tech inspection of any car I get in is done by me it don't pass I dont instruct.
Rich
Agreed. Tech doesn't do detailed checks of seat belts. If the student signed the tech form and claimed the belts are fine, but they're not, report the problem to club and refuse to instruct in that car until the problem is fixed. No club is going to force an instructor to get in the right seat under those circumstances. If that leaves the student unhappy, so be it, it's his own fault for bringing a car with an obvious safety deficiency. Accepting something like this is not part of the track day experience.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:46 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Wow, a dozen more serious incidents. I'd say that's an organization failure at that point. I also agree, I wouldn't have gotten into the car with the defective seat belts.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pca sent this out by email today:

There has been much speculation on the internet about the recent incident in Georgia where an instructor sustained significant injuries. At this time we do not have facts about the cause of the incident, but the incident is being investigated by the local authorities. What we do want to clarify is that PCA does maintain $1,000,000 in excess medical coverage for such cases that will cover medical expenses in excess of personal health coverage. This includes deductibles and co-pays that the personal health coverage does not pay. PCA’s excess medical coverage is there to make sure that in the rare case of injury to a participant, the participant is not concerned with medical expenses.
This email was sent by PCA Admin and the National Porsche Club of America, Inc. © Copyright 2018 Porsche Club of America Inc. All rights reserved.
You may opt-out of receiving emails from PCA National by updating your PCA membership record at our web site. Read the PCA privacy policy. Click here to unsubscribe.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
There is no doubt about the physics and what is actually happening, but I swear going off on wet grass it feels like like the car is accelerating.
-Mike
Agree. Mu range on wet grass actually overlaps that of ice! See plot. I had long spin that eventually got onto wet grass...and it literally felt like the car accelerated even though I know it did not.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:58 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Wow, a dozen more serious incidents. I'd say that's an organization failure at that point.
I think we need clarification regarding how many of those "incidents" were crashes. A dozen offs and spins wouldn't be highly unusual over the course of 2-3 days, but a dozen crashes would be very unusual.

I've done a lot of days with Chin, and have found that they run as tight a ship as anyone. I continue to recommend them highly.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

PL screw that I would have never instructed in that car the final tech inspection of any car I get in is done by me it don't pass I dont instruct.
Rich
Exactly...I'm with Rich on this one. I have in fact not gone out in a students car for tech and safety reasons. On the other hand in the 12 years so far i've been involved with DE's i'm seeing cars not really fit for being on track show up...and I'm seeing new street cars capable of serious track times show up. I have also noticed drivers that do not appear to be in healthy shape driving.

If i owned or managed a track car business I would seriously be taking immediate steps at putting in place better and more thorough tech inspections and requirements of drivers health requirements. There are a lot of DE drivers that are docs and have doc friends to sign off on this do you will need to figure out how to circumvent the club
Old 02-21-2018, 11:04 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

GoFundMe page for injured Roebling instructor

Patrick Wilson's Road to Recovery
Donated.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aryork
Agree. Mu range on wet grass actually overlaps that of ice! See plot. I had long spin that eventually got onto wet grass...and it literally felt like the car accelerated even though I know it did not.
The illusory perception of acceleration when getting on the grass is likely due to the "jerk" resulting from sudden reduction in deceleration: http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...07/37/6/065008
Old 02-21-2018, 02:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
Pca sent this out by email today:

There has been much speculation on the internet about the recent incident in Georgia where an instructor sustained significant injuries. At this time we do not have facts about the cause of the incident, but the incident is being investigated by the local authorities. What we do want to clarify is that PCA does maintain $1,000,000 in excess medical coverage for such cases that will cover medical expenses in excess of personal health coverage. This includes deductibles and co-pays that the personal health coverage does not pay. PCA’s excess medical coverage is there to make sure that in the rare case of injury to a participant, the participant is not concerned with medical expenses.
This email was sent by PCA Admin and the National Porsche Club of America, Inc. © Copyright 2018 Porsche Club of America Inc. All rights reserved.
You may opt-out of receiving emails from PCA National by updating your PCA membership record at our web site. Read the PCA privacy policy. Click here to unsubscribe.
Interesting.

I checked with my region's president and he didn't get it. Did you get it because you are your region's HPDE chair? Or?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:15 AM
salisbury
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is very sad, the families may suffer for years, Patrick & his family have a long road a head of them, but he has a road. We can't change the past. The safety issues at HPDE may start with the desire to find cheap track time, think most of us have experienced that desire. Club racing programs force us to be prepared for bad days at the track. Many of us use the equipment designed for these incidents at HPDEs, most don't and the HPDE model allows that. No easy answers here. This part of motor sports is difficult to make sense of. Although I think the families need some time/space from the analysis conversations, this maybe the best time to exchange some ideas on the subject of HPDE safety.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:18 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

All I know is at a lot of HPDE I am exceeding 140-150 mph and at that speed it only takes one mistake.No cage and stock belts.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

^there doesn’t have to be a mistake. Think fluid dumped on track. Best thing I ever did was convert from street GT3 to a track prepped car with all the safety accoutrements.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:06 PM
mose121
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
No, not at all. This is the dysfunctional side of Rennlist at its best.
The memory of a fallen enthusiast and a seriously hurt instructor has been set aside for pettiness by the faux experts.
If I was seriously injured or died at a track event and there may have been certain common sense safety measures that could have been taken to prevent a death or serious injury, there would be no better way to honor and respect my memory than by working to address those safety issues. Doing nothing is what would be petty and disrespectful.

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
There is now a gofundme for the instructor from this incident. It raises a question for me, is the instructor really responsible for paying the bills for his medical care in this case? Maybe I need to reconsider some of the risks that I am taking since I would not be easily able to absorb the costs of this kind of incident if it were 100% on my shoulders.

Someone should sell instructors insurance?
Insurance rarely covers everything no matter how good the coverage level is, and there are other costs unrelated to healthcare that can add up fast. Hence why half of all bankruptcies in this country are related to healthcare debt. It's a disgrace to our society, and at the risk of making a political statement just one more reason why a for profit healthcare system will never serve our society well. When people have to rely on crowdfunding to pay medical bills, our society has failed them. Additionally, not being able to work and collect a paycheck for what can be months or years following a severe injury makes life very difficult, even with public assistance/disability.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:05 AM
salisbury
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mose 121 is spot on. Insurance 101: was anything done or not done that voids coverage?. The need to secure council to monitor liabilities, there were services provided.

Quick Reply: Roebling death