Roebling death

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
"word is driver had medical condition and did not let up into turn one " This is a big concern. Medical condition & DE ?
The key phrase here is "word is". We don't know, and speculation accomplishes nothing. Sad news. RIP.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Oh no

RIP
Old 02-11-2018, 04:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
"word is driver had medical condition and did not let up into turn one " This is a big concern. Medical condition & DE ?
Not referring to this particular incident, for that would be speculation.

But, this is not uncommon, for any type of driving event. In DE, there is no physical examination required.

I can’t tell you how many drivers I know who’ve had some significant health issue(s) caught when they went in for their physicals for a competition license.

With the advent of stress testing and baseline EKG’s beyond a certain age, along with tightening intervals for reexamination, I think it’s a good idea for on-track activity.

In thirty-five years, I’ve been at more than a dozen events that had a driver suffer a fatal health event. Some on-Track, some off. Not good...
Old 02-11-2018, 04:40 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

I am so sorry this happened and prayers to all involved.

Regarding CV system assessment...

I always encourage my students to understand the medical requirements for racing licenses and to have a chat with their HCP, whether they intend to race or not. Your cardiovascular system does not really know the difference between racing and intense track driving.

I once asked the medical director of a well known sanctioning body why EKG's were part of the equation from a medical standpoint. He did not know the origin.

But of course why not try to ID an issue if you can?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Deepest sympathy to the the family of the deceased and a full recovery to the survivor in the car.
This can happen to ANY of us and it is so sobering when a tragedy like this happens.
Was thinking exactly the same thing and why I take HPDE days very seriously and don't try to push beyond my (non-Club racer) limits. Very sorry for driver, instructor and organizers.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:10 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

My condolences and hopes for a full recovery of all involved,

but I never understood the "I just DE" vs club race....both are very intense if you make them......I can club race in back and never break a sweat, or I can really work at skills at a DE and do more work then some club racers.

take care of each other and asses your own self, take the ego out....always respected people more who say.....I'm just not feeling right and sit out a race or session......they get the best trophy....home safely with car in good shape and more tires for next time...

rant over ......sorry to take away from condolences
Old 02-11-2018, 06:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT

but I never understood the "I just DE" vs club race....both are very intense if you make them......I can club race in back and never break a sweat, or I can really work at skills at a DE and do more work then some club racers.

take care of each other and asses your own self, take the ego out....always respected people more who say.....I'm just not feeling right and sit out a race or session......they get the best trophy....home safely with car in good shape and more tires for next time...

+1!

Not a rant, just fact.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT

+1 agree 100%.

Condolences to the family and speedy recovery to the injured. This is very real in our sport/hobby. Take care everyone and again much respect and appreciation to PCA instructors who get in the car with students week in /week out. So sad.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 PM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 02-11-2018, 08:01 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

was blue group an advanced or beginner group? Any idea of what type of car? Mentally I try to convince myself that a full Rollcage is safer than a street car with the newest standard equipment. At 100mph, not sure it matters....

very sad, especially for the instructor. It feels different when your fate is in someone else's hands...

in regards to stress tests, they are falling out of favor. Current guidelines don't even require an ekg prior to a moderate or even high risk surgery if the person functions at a decent physical level. Typically, if a person can walk 2 flights of stairs (4 mets) they are good to go for most surgeries, assuming no prior or known risks. Not sure the day will ever come where an ekg or stress test is required for a hpde...

I could though see, requiring a doctors note that you are fit enough. Hell, the boys scouts require it for counsellors to go to camp...

Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue group is intermediate instructed (green is novice). Car was a 996 C4.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Sad, and sobering.

1st are my best thoughts to the families, 2nd are hopes for understanding/learning/improving safety and outcomes.

Best,

Matt
Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Horrible news and agree with questions regarding why no proof of adequate health status is required for a DE. This is especially true in light of the high hp cars you see today in DE's. Not that a complete physical will prevent serious health issues from developing but could certainly expose the obvious.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:55 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
The fatality was the student, not the instructor. The instructor suffered multiple serious injuries.

There is a ton of heresay right now as to what happened - however, the truth is - most is pure speculation and conjecture.
I believe you mean hearsay which is quite different from heresy. Your comment may have been a spell checked “heresay”.
In any case - tons of speculation about medical condition of the driver.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Three-day. There was an instructor clinic and Level II certification going on Friday, IIRC.
yes - I was there Friday to sit in on/observe the clinic (to see how another region runs it) which was a PCA National DE Instructor training also combined with MSF Level 2 certification which I think required staying for the DE.

I met a lovely group of instructors and instructor candidates, all of whom take safety very seriously. Great bunch of people and it’s a tragedy.

Thoughts are with everyone touched by this terrible event.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 02-11-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Not referring to this particular incident, for that would be speculation.

But, this is not uncommon, for any type of driving event. In DE, there is no physical examination required.

I can’t tell you how many drivers I know who’ve had some significant health issue(s) caught when they went in for their physicals for a competition license.

With the advent of stress testing and baseline EKG’s beyond a certain age, along with tightening intervals for reexamination, I think it’s a good idea for on-track activity.

In thirty-five years, I’ve been at more than a dozen events that had a driver suffer a fatal health event. Some on-Track, some off. Not good...
Based on the Charlotte Observer database on racetrack fatalities, around 16% are from “health events”.

Quick Reply: Roebling death