Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find a coach? (Thunderhill/Northern California)

Old 02-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

I think you have some good feedback here.

Two of the pro's mentioned came from the same place: JvO and Thomas Merrill. Deep roots in PCA. When I came to CA in '91, JvO's dad was the Golden Gate Region's CDI. He is still active with PRC and in vintage racing and is one heck of a driver. BOTH of Thomas' parents were active PCA drivers when he was a schoolboy, and his dad still races.

In addition to considering resources, I think one should consider environments. If you truly want to learn the craft and have goals that may involve racing, then being in an environment where a good percentage of those amongst you with similar focus can be helpful. Back in the day the PCA GGR offered this. Every weekend had a half day time trial on Sunday. And the preponderance of attendees focused all weekend on getting faster.

There are a lot of Johnny come lately's around this sport. Learning how to differentiate can be helpful.

Contrary to what some might consider popular belief, "going faster" was not invented at the same time as the internet. And not all of us... more seasoned trackdriving/racing folks are t-Rex's.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:45 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Cannot go wrong with ProCoach's post - https://www.racecarcoaches.com/listi...arch_keywords=
But im a little biased since I created www.racecarcoaches.com. This thread is the exact reason I created this site, so client drivers can find the right coach for their individual needs.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
Thanks for all the responses. To answer the questions regarding experience -

I have done 4 track days with HOD and had 2 different instructors. Both were good instructors but felt there wasn’t much more they could give me. I have decent sim experience, am familiar with and use telemetry.

Was looking at the PCA Diablo event at Thunderhill Mar 23, however only novice drivers will have instructors.

Appreciate the coach recommendations. I see some have mostly open wheel experience - does it matter? My prior was rear engine sedan would be important since the aero/trail braking/etc is all so different, but I have no experience to know.

Thanks again
Matty
You can contact PCA Diablo and ask if they will have enough instructors for you to work with one on Friday. And if your schedule has some flexibility, on the following Sat & Sun (Mar 24&25), GGR (my club) has their DE and Club Race. They definitely can accommodate you with instruction.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by matt33
Ok great.. I have reached out to Thomas. Thanks again for the advice.
Matty, where did you end up landing on this? I'm in a similar position for you and planning out my 2019 season. This year I have done 8 days mixed at Sonoma and Thunderhill and looking for the next step in improving my DE days and not looking to be a pro open wheel racer. Did you end up using a pro coach or sticking with the DE instructors or something else?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:37 PM
RazzleDazzle
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
Matty, where did you end up landing on this? I'm in a similar position for you and planning out my 2019 season. This year I have done 8 days mixed at Sonoma and Thunderhill and looking for the next step in improving my DE days and not looking to be a pro open wheel racer. Did you end up using a pro coach or sticking with the DE instructors or something else?
Did you ever check out www.racecarcoaches.com?
Old 10-16-2018, 11:44 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RazzleDazzle
Did you ever check out www.racecarcoaches.com?
I did.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:21 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi iphilips

I ended up doing a couple of things -

PCA coaching: significant step from the instruction I had previously which was mostly about driving line. I’m a GGR member and had several excellent instructors with them. Most have race experience and learn different things from different ppl.

Pro coach: spoke to several and just last month worked with a pro for the day. Not cheap but felt the knowledge and expertise definitely warranted the cost. It was an excellent learning experience, the professionalism and focus throughout was exceptional and I will make this a regular (perhaps 3-4 times per year) part of my track time.

PM me if you would like more specifics on either.

Matty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to find a coach? (Thunderhill/Northern California)