Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for POC Racers: Does POC Have an annual tech procedure?

Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Question for POC Racers: Does POC Have an annual tech procedure?

Took a quick peek at the POC web site and it wasn't readily apparent. Does anyone out there know the answer?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

No annual tech. Tech before event at one of the approved shops, they stamp and date your log book. Tech at track is usually available but it's much easier to get it done in advance.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Took a quick peek at the POC web site and it wasn't readily apparent. Does anyone out there know the answer?

Thanks.

Mike
you plan on running some events with them this year?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:32 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. So if you are planning on doing 3-4 POC race weekends, it sounds like each time you have to go to an approved shop beforehand and get teched. So if the approved shop is an hour from where you live, and you tow your car, you have tow there, and get teched. Did I get that right?

I am trying to learn about procedures that other groups use.

As an aside, I am not sure where I will race this year. For the past 17 years (with a 4 year hiatus in there) the preponderance of my racing has been with the PRC. That may be changing this year.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:13 AM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Tech inspection is also done at the track, I think its $20.00
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 AM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, It is super easy to do at the track. Just pay the $20 when you register, then swing by the encampment of whichever shop(s) are providing the tech service with your car and POC log book either the evening before or early in the morning of the race. 5-10 minutes later you'll be good to go.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:08 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As previously mentioned, do it at the event. There are usually 2-3 tech centers at each event and it goes quickly.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:00 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I want to be sure that I understand the answer...

I know POC has different kinds of events... back in thee day I attended a few at Laguna.

Here what I am asking about is wheel-to-wheel racing.

I think what you are saying is that at each racing event, there are myriad opportunities to get the car teched at the venue. Might be or is about $20. And that there is no annual tech (or what some people might call a pre-season annual tech).

NASA has an annual tech requirement for whee-to-wheel racing. PCA Club Racing also has an annual tech. NASA's annual has to be done be an authorized resource. PCA's is a self tech.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Correct, there are usually 3 or 4 shops represented at each event that will Tech your car for $20. I would suggest calling Vali at Vali Motorsports in Corona Ca, he is usually set up the afternoon before each event and his guys will tech your car.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:39 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I want to be sure that I understand the answer...

I know POC has different kinds of events... back in thee day I attended a few at Laguna.

Here what I am asking about is wheel-to-wheel racing.

I think what you are saying is that at each racing event, there are myriad opportunities to get the car teched at the venue. Might be or is about $20. And that there is no annual tech (or what some people might call a pre-season annual tech).

NASA has an annual tech requirement for whee-to-wheel racing. PCA Club Racing also has an annual tech. NASA's annual has to be done be an authorized resource. PCA's is a self tech.

Thanks again everyone.
POC offers three levels of driving = PDS (performance driving series), Time Trials and Cup Racing. PDS is mainly geared for street cars and new drivers wanting to learn the ropes with POC's superior instructors. Time Trials (formerly Time Attack) is the next level, offering both point-by passing and open passing for best lap time (instruction is also available). Cup Racing is wheel-to-wheel. All of these levels require your car to be tech'd before each event. Tech can be performed by an authorized POC tech station only prior to the event (stamp in your log book) or tech is available at the track for $20. We have two shops that perform the tech at the track, but you need to have your car tech'd before registration so plan accordingly as there may be a line.

S. Craig
POC
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Correct, there are usually 3 or 4 shops represented at each event that will Tech your car for $20. I would suggest calling Vali at Vali Motorsports in Corona Ca, he is usually set up the afternoon before each event and his guys will tech your car.
Yes, Vali and Pro Motorsports both perform Tech at the track and are usually there the evening before depending on the track.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:03 PM
911ted
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Mr. Mike,
Over 20 air cooled GT 3 & GT 4 cars racing @ last event.
Drivers clinic @ Buttonwillow in March
Old 02-03-2018, 05:28 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone.

Have not been to Buttonwillow since the very first PRC event back in 2002.

Won't have a new engine until April or thereabouts (I hope). Need to finalize the engine specs.

Currently considering my schedule for this year... we'll see what happens.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Won't have a new engine until April or thereabouts (I hope). Need to finalize the engine specs.

Currently considering my schedule for this year... we'll see what happens.
Mike your car would run in one of our weight/WHP classes similar to NASA's GTS program. We have several hot rod air cooled cars in our GT3 class with a multiplier of 9-11.5 for slicks, 8.5-11 for R compounds. I've linked our 2018 GCR's and event schedule to date though I'm pretty sure we'll be adding Sonoma for the July 7-8 weekend and possibly the outdoor course at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in late March......
Old 02-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks.

Here is the reason for my question:

As some may have noticed, the Porsche Racing Club has two Laguna events on the 2018 calendar. Neither of these events are being run in conjunction with NASA. This is something that we have not done in a long time.

The first one of those is in mid-March with HMSA. higher than 92 dB sound which is great. The thirty slots are all taken. Entry fee of $750 is quite a bit higher than what we normally pay with NASA. About $300 higher. No refunds on the entry fee (unless there is a waiting list which is dubious), unlike what we get with NASA. They have what I'd call a favorable cancellation policy for racers. Hopefully the weather will be good in March, and all of the racers that signed up will be able to get there (we have a gaggle that come down from the mountains). Should be a pretty cool event with lots of interesting cars in the paddock.

The second Laguna event is at the end of June with Speed Ventures. PRC have never raced with them. Usually we have a June event with NASA at Sears Point. This event will be 92 dB. The preponderance of PRC racers do not have a 92 dB solution (I do). I expect the entry fee will again be quite high-- perhaps $750 - $1k, again with little or no ability for refunds. PRC may need Porsche racers beyond our usual draw for this event. Potential causes will be time of year, cost of entry, cost of 92 dB solution, and competing events at Laguna like POC, PCA and SCCA.

Here is what I think those non-Prc member Porsche racers would have to do:

1. Membership- join the PRC. About $60.

2. License: if they already have a NASA license with up to date medical, they are good to go. If not, they can MAYBE get a waiver from the PRC if they have a valid license with up to date medical with another group, like PCA,SCCA, POC et cetera.

3. Log book: if they have a NASA log book they are good to go. If not, they can MAYBE get a waiver from the PRC if they have a valid logbook from another group, like PCA, SCCA, POC et cetera.

4. Car class: PRC runs PRC car classes plus our bespoke Spec 911, GTU and GTL. GTU is a new class, inspired in part by a POC racer (long story).

5. Tech: All racers have to have an annual NASA tech. And as of right now, such a tech would NOT be available at the track. For some this may be burdensome.

So the reason I asked about POC tech is that if POC had an annual like NASA, maybe the PRC could allow POC folk to run with that annual instead of a NASA annual.

The reason I am considering racing elsewhere:

The PRC have a relatively new Board. They are doing a great job, except they are not adhering to the published schedule for rules changes. We have had a process and schedule patterned after the PCA Club Racing program for quite a long time. But our adherence to the process and schedule has been spotty. This year the Board published two rules changes for my class (GTL) without adhering to the process. Material changes. This is not good. My hope is that the situation will get rectified, but so far the Board has not done so.

Folks should know that I still support the PRC. Back in 2001, I was the person that catalyzed its formation by putting together basically three key people with overlapping visions that wanted to create a NorCal-based, all-Porsche racing series. I was at the formation meeting at the Los Gatos Brewery 2001-2002 winter, and I won the first pole at our first race at Buttonwillow in 2002. For over a decade I wrote/revised the PRC rules.

Rules stability is important to me.

We will see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for POC Racers: Does POC Have an annual tech procedure?