Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

here we go again
Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't watched that "flat out" video in years. So hilarious. I swear I've shared the track with the guy who inspired that.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:48 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't see anything in this thread that is mean spirited toward beginners? We were all there once.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:47 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Lighten up Francis.

There is no ball busting going on here with respect to conscientious green students. The jokes about "flat-out", track day comedy, and "this is why I shouldn't be in the green run group" discussion, do not apply to 99%+ of track day students. A big part of learning is one admitting to oneself that they don't know as much as they thought they did. Just about anybody who truely has become an expert in anything can recognize the value in the graph presented by the OP.

I thoroughly enjoy instructing green and blue students and feel fortunate I'm still close enough to my time in green to remember what it felt like. In some ways, I had no idea what world I was stepping into. I also recall gazing from Mount Stupid telling some yellow and white instructors that "I was ready for white" when, in fact, I was nowhere close. Their no bull**** approach didn't make me feel good at the time, but it did show me what I needed to do to progress and I wouldn't be an instructor today without them.

What is funny, is though they are rare, the people track day comedy is based on do exist and humor is one way of dealing with them. That humor is all the more poignant if you've ever had the misfortune of sitting right seat with one of them.

-Mike
What people forget is that 5 minutes in the green or blue group is infinitely more fun than sitting in traffic driving to work. And the way to avoid the long route of Mount Stupid is having an instructor who can show you the right route. Plus when you can work on your skills without looking like an idiot. And you can usually have a fun time doing this. That is why you drive on the track.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:56 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28

What people forget is that 5 minutes in the green or blue group is infinitely more fun than sitting in traffic driving to work. And the way to avoid the long route of Mount Stupid is having an instructor who can show you the right route. Plus when you can work on your skills without looking like an idiot. And you can usually have a fun time doing this. That is why you drive on the track.
Well said!

I have been really lucky having great instructors.

I am going to my forth DE at Zone 1 Watkins Glen in May. Can't wait, just made hotel reservations
Old 01-27-2018, 11:52 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
I can see the humor, I am in the Green Group

There are actually some of us that are developing skills to become safe and skilled drivers, and are going to be progressing from green.
There are some of us who, rely on our instructors and people on RL, to help us make better decisions at every turn, every track hazard, or every driver in front or in back of us that is making bad decisions.

But, to bust b***ls, because some is learning is not cool
Oh man...that wasn't a rip, i'm a novice myself...just get a kick out of that video.
Cheers!
Old 01-28-2018, 12:13 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mj951
Oh man...that wasn't a rip, i'm a novice myself...just get a kick out of that video.
Cheers!
I have to admit is funny
Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have to admit is funny
It's a classic. I am running next month with chin at Road Atlanta. I literally run in their highest run group at other tracks but because I have not run RA before they put me in lowest solo group. Because of this video I am afraid to ask to be bumped up. I have no right seat so they'd just have to "trust" me.

Though already said, any serious driver realizes that there is always something to learn. Any time you think you crested the mountain of stupid you realize it was only the foothills to the Rockies of ignorance.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:00 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

The real danger is someone who thinks the instructor in that video just doesn't understand.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:44 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
It's a classic. I am running next month with chin at Road Atlanta. I literally run in their highest run group at other tracks but because I have not run RA before they put me in lowest solo group. Because of this video I am afraid to ask to be bumped up. I have no right seat so they'd just have to "trust" me.

Though already said, any serious driver realizes that there is always something to learn. Any time you think you crested the mountain of stupid you realize it was only the foothills to the Rockies of ignorance.
At DEs, can't anyone in any solo group ask for someone to sit right seat?
I know anyone can pay for professional help, but I was under the impression that other instructors can sit right seat for instructors that may want another set of eye ***** on thier driving?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:18 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I drop down a run group at "new to me" tracks. Just makes it so much more enjoyable and the learning experience is much better as well.
Nobody busts my ***** about anything. Better to be getting point by's than constantly giving them while not being able to concentrate on learning the "new" line.
That video still cracks me up even though I've seen it a million times.
I too have climbed Mt Stupid. I prefer the view from the bottom of that mountain.
I don't think anyone in this thread was busting stones......
Old 01-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose

With no right seat, they (Chin) may have an instructor follow you on track to observe. Make sure you know where all the flag stations are located!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:41 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
With no right seat, they (Chin) may have an instructor follow you on track to observe. Make sure you know where all the flag stations are located!
With Chin format (including happy hour) and new to me track, I think I'll be fine in whichever group they place me. If for some reason, I think I am learning track well enough, I'll ask Jack to see if they can arrange a lead follow as you suggest. I am just excited to run at Road Atlanta.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:53 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 565 Posts

At DEs, can't anyone in any solo group ask for someone to sit right seat?
I know anyone can pay for professional help, but I was under the impression that other instructors can sit right seat for instructors that may want another set of eye ***** on thier driving?
Might depend on the club - but generally speaking you are correct (at least in my experience).

I have someone in my right seat whenever I get the chance. I’m a much better driver as a result (never stop learning/improving) and also a better instructor. Sometimes the instructor in my right seat does something that I love (or hate). I use the stuff I love, and make mental notes to NOT do to others what I disliked.

This is also true for solo drivers that are not Instructors. They can ask for someone in the right seat just for another opinion. I admire any solo driver who occasionally asks for coaching.

Quick Reply: Drivers' Ed/ Racing Graphic T idea