2019 SCCA Runoffs at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:53 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2019 SCCA Runoffs at VIR

https://www.scca.com/articles/200898...-runoffs-venue

I guess Peter aka, ProCoach is going to have a prosperous, loosen that tie and get to work, 2019.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The phone is ringing off the hook with folks that want to start working THIS year!

I'm open for business, and can recommend Tom Long and a few others, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

What is the max number of cars we can put on the track, isn't it something like 82 cars? Spec Miata and SRF3 could have record car counts.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:19 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
What is the max number of cars we can put on the track, isn't it something like 82 cars? Spec Miata and SRF3 could have record car counts.
In the past 4 Runoffs since the move to new track venues around the country over subscription has happened once in SRF3 at Indy. That is what I remember. SCCA was prepared and everyone got to race. This SRF over subscription probably increased with relaxing of the qualification rules to attend Runoffs. SCCA knew going to Indy was going to be a big deal. That Runoffs week broke records with about 1000 drivers! So IMO that's the worst it will ever get and SCCA had a plan for it. Some will bemoan the reduction in Runoffs qualifications (less required races/class) but those lowering of requirements allow guys like me to more easily race in two classes. So in every decision some win and some loose. When rules change we just change with them and take advantage of them.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:27 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

IIRC, at Indy they were limited to 72 car race-fields. SM was over that and had a 20+ qualifying race to see who would make the final 10 spots (or something like that). I don't believe VIR will draw a 1000 driver field like Indy, but since the track is longer the they can put more cars on track. With SOM approval I think they could bump the limit by 10%. Too many cars for my blood, but I'll probably be there to watch or crew for someone.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:54 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by CCA
IIRC, at Indy they were limited to 72 car race-fields. SM was over that and had a 20+ qualifying race to see who would make the final 10 spots (or something like that). I don't believe VIR will draw a 1000 driver field like Indy, but since the track is longer the they can put more cars on track. With SOM approval I think they could bump the limit by 10%. Too many cars for my blood, but I'll probably be there to watch or crew for someone.
If you live by VIR you have a real treat of a track. It would be a shame to not got to Runoffs in your home state. I only planned to do Runoffs when it came to California, my home state. I was just not that into racing. I got hooked by Runoffs fun and racing as many new tracks as possible. I will be at VIR Runoffs for my 6th in a row. I've racing 22 tracks. You have to compete at Runoffs. It is really fun.

The largest group I have ever raced in was at the 1st clubrace at CoTA. We had 65 cars on track. Whether you have 65 cars or 15 cars in your group you are only close to a few in the front and a few behind you. After alp 1 the pack stretches into a chain. The cool thing about a bigger group is always finding someone to race with. What I hate the most is small groups where you spread out into time trials. Races like that I just fall asleep. The worst part of 65 cars on track is not knowing when the green flag drops unless you have a spotter on your radio.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Oh, I’m planning on racing at my home track, for sure! P2, probably.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 PM
schao
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh good, I’ll try to follow you for a few laps for some clues before you disappear into the distance!😎

Sherman
Old 01-26-2018, 11:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by schao
Oh good, I’ll try to follow you for a few laps for some clues before you disappear into the distance!��
Sherman
Oh, no! You're on a roll. Nice job at Sebring!

Bryan Yates has done a 1:52.8 in the West for the class record. I'd be happy to get into the 1:55's in my vintage car, a forty year old Sports 2000 with carbs. We'll see...
Old 01-27-2018, 12:10 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by schao
Oh good, I’ll try to follow you for a few laps for some clues before you disappear into the distance!😎

Sherman
I hope that Peter will run the pre-event track walk. I really learn a lot from walking a track even by myself. ...With someone who intimately knows the track....priceless!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll do that for NCR-SCCA, before and during the event.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:38 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

We've started 90 Spec Miatas at VIR before in SCCA. Yes - 90!

The Spec Boxster will be a great bet for T3 next year at Runoffs. Not making the trip to Sonoma this year.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

Quick Reply: 2019 SCCA Runoffs at VIR