Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering a race car with dmv?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:10 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Registering a race car with dmv?

looking at some fully caged miatas, bmw's and 944s... Will likely buy one this week...

how does one transfer ownership assuming you want/need a title?

wisconsin dmv requires emmisions testing within 45 days of getting title. I have no intention of driving it on the street, but do want a title... None of the cars I am looking at will pass emmisions, no cats/etc. I can add a cat, but who knows it that will work. Most of these cars have been stripped of any emmissions equipment.

do you just transfer registration but never do emmissions?

can you tell the state it's a race car for of road use? I don't see that option anywhere on dmv websites...

how do you transfer ownership? I am sure the seller doesn't want it remaining in their name...

any my issues getting stp insurance on a nonregistered car? What about race cars sold on bill of sale only?

thanks... Help appreciated. A dedicated track car is new territory for me

Old 01-20-2018, 08:41 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm interested to hear what others say...

My last car I registered it, then turned the tags back in... That's probably the best you can do.

My current car, I kept the bill of sale and signed title, never registered it at all.. not sure if that's right or not. But push come to shove I'll argue it's a large riding lawn mower.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Why do you want a title??

Just do a bill of sale.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I just got a bill of sale and had previous owner sign the title.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:56 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I've bought plenty of race cars that came with titles, I've never registered any of them except my 964 cup.

Phil
Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Bill of sale only and signed title.

With respect to insurance, you will want transport and paddock insurance, That insures the car for fire and theft. Lockton provides such coverage, for example.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:49 AM
bpu699

Help me understand...

if if you only do bill of sale, and never process the title to change the name, then the car remains registered under the last owner...

if if it gets stolen, the vin won't show under your name if ever recovered...

if if you get into a track accicident, and get sued, the car is still technically under someone else's name, possibly exposing them to liability...

also, you can't get insurance coverage on a vehicle you don't own. Now, one could argue that bill of sale is ownership, but I can see an insurance company arguing otherwise when it comes time for a claim...

will haggerty, etc, insure a car NOT titled in your name???
Old 01-21-2018, 11:53 AM
bpu699

Originally Posted by jscott82
I'm interested to hear what others say...

My last car I registered it, then turned the tags back in... That's probably the best you can do.

My current car, I kept the bill of sale and signed title, never registered it at all.. not sure if that's right or not. But push come to shove I'll argue it's a large riding lawn mower.

hmmm....

i was was thinking of applying for title, and when emmissions testing came up simply not going,and stating the car isn't drivable... Not sure how long one can do that for....

but I don't want to go sell one day and get hit up with some kind of massive fines either...

now sales tax tax on a $10k car is negligible. Are folks mostly not getting titles due to tax issues?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699

will haggerty, etc, insure a car NOT titled in your name???
Yes - call them or Lockton:

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Motorsports-Insurance
https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
Old 01-21-2018, 11:56 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Title has a tearoff strip that PO returns to DMV that is a declaration of release of liability. It basically says PO has no further interest in the vehicle. Insurance co's do not insure racecars or drivers for liability. Your race body may list you as an additional insured. I have found no other insurance that will help. No excess personal liability policy covers racing.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:59 AM
bpu699

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Bill of sale only and signed title.

With respect to insurance, you will want transport and paddock insurance, That insures the car for fire and theft. Lockton provides such coverage, for example.
frank, what's your take on liability while transporting? Any risk there?

if I am trailering 2000 pounds of cinder blocks and one falls off and causes damage, my auto insurance and umbrella cover me.... If I am trailering a race car, and it hypothetically falls off, then what? Insurance would say that falls under auto coverage for the trailered vehicle... Which it doesn't have?

does stp insurance provide liability in such an occurrence?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699

frank, what's your take on liability while transporting? Any risk there?

if I am trailering 2000 pounds of cinder blocks and one falls off and causes damage, my auto insurance and umbrella cover me.... If I am trailering a race car, and it hypothetically falls off, then what? Insurance would say that falls under auto coverage for the trailered vehicle... Which it doesn't have?

does stp insurance provide liability in such an occurrence?
The insurance of my tow vehicle covers liability on my car and trailer when on public roads. I have confirmed that. Just to complicate things: I also have a separate liability policy on my trailer as it is registered in a different state than my tow vehicle as it is usually stored there. Progressive provides that "travel trailer" liability coverage.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:03 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Title has a tearoff strip that PO returns to DMV that is a declaration of release of liability. It basically says PO has no further interest in the vehicle. Insurance co's do not insure racecars or drivers for liability. Your race body may list you as an additional insured. I have found no other insurance that will help. No excess personal liability policy covers racing.
not worried about on track liability. Lochton has a policy for that if needed.... More worried about on road in case sh*t happens liability...

i get to go to court way too often evicting tenants... Don't enjoy it...

just had a tenant slip and fall 2 days ago at a unit... I am insured up the wazoo... It was her fault, as she is responsible for shoveling and maintenance... But that doesn't matter, I can still get sued...

sigh
Old 01-21-2018, 12:07 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
The insurance of my tow vehicle covers liability on my car and trailer when on public roads. I have confirmed that. Just to complicate things: I also have a separate liability policy on my trailer as it is registered in a different state than my tow vehicle as it is usually stored there. Progressive provides that "travel trailer" liability coverage.
i need to clarify this with my State Farm agent... Talking to an insurance agent about a race car, sounds like a dubious proposition... Worried about any impact to umbrella policy, etc...
Old 01-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I just got a bill of sale and had previous owner sign the title.
^^This.

I've a dedicated track car, no title. Have the BOS from my purchase and a copy of the same from my seller's purchase in 2011. I keep a copy of both with me when transporting the car.

Both Hagertys and Lockton have had no problems insuring the car with just a BOS.

Quick Reply: Registering a race car with dmv?