Sponsored by:

Not to scare anyone!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 AM
hughp3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not to scare anyone!

I will have my first race ever at the Walter Mitty in april. HSR accepted my membership and cashed my cheque for the event so presume i am in. Appears I will be in group 11. If anyone has some feedback about group 11 would love to hear from you. I should also say I will be super careful at my first event . Just wanna get my feet wet but doing it at the Mitty is really cool. Until then I hope to get lots of seat time under my belt, weather willing.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 491 Posts

I love running with HSR. They run a tight ship so don't miss the drivers meeting.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:20 PM
GT3DE
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Lots of seat time is not what you will get with HSR.

Last edited by GT3DE; 01-21-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 PM
hughp3
Pro

Originally Posted by GT3DE
Lots if seat time is not what you will get with HSR.
I think you misread what I said. “Until then”....
i have 2 chin events in February, Road Atlanta and Barber if weather cooperates. More in March planned
Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

HSR is a great place to get your feet wet. Usually plenty of cars, friendly drivers out for competitive fun. Seems to be less shenanigans at HSR,with drivers looking out for each other. As Clark said, lots of waiting around and short races. They have a lot of groups to fit in and thus races are 7-10 laps. You will have a great time! Especially at the Mitty where car count is up and there are many incredible machines. Enjoy the experience.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Be smart but drive car hard within your limits. Years ago SCCA we would put a but X on your car so other drivers knew you might be slow and to careful.

Tracking your car means you are taking a risk. Please be prepared mentally. You are on a race track not out for a sunday drive. Sunday drivers on a race track being overly careful cause more incidents than good drivers out to Race their cars.

Make sure you get an instructor and have fun.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:38 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Tracking your car means you are taking a risk. Please be prepared mentally. You are on a race track not out for a sunday drive. Sunday drivers on a race track being overly careful cause more incidents than good drivers out to Race their cars.

Well said
Old 01-20-2018, 01:20 PM
hughp3
Pro

Thanks all for the feedback. I will be amped up and pushing for sure, my worry is over pushing myself cause I want to keep up. I will know late February when at RA how much pace I need to gain. I also thought about doing qualifying but start at the back of the field regardless (in the small chance I may actually be faster than some one). I just don’t know what my pace will be yet. In a street car on street tires my best is a high 1:34 at Road Atlanta. I cannot extrapolate what “I” should be capable of in the SR3.
i have had private, full day instruction ( leh keen , Seth Thomas) which was great but not on an ongoing basis. Will see about setting that up.

Last edited by hughp3; 01-20-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a basic comment, but for me, using data was a powerful tool in recalibrating my brain for a high downforce car. After each session I would create a color map showing the g forces in each corner. That gave me the information to make my brain comfortable with the increased forces....for example, I am pulling 1.6 Gs going through turn X and the car is capable of 2.5G’s at that speed...need to go faster. Once your brain is convinced / recalibrated the next trick is to convince your right foot to do what your brain is telling it.

Enjoy the journey into the high downforce world. I’m sure it will be a rapid transition.

Charley
Old 01-21-2018, 10:31 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

deleted
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 AM
hughp3
Pro

awesome test day at AMP! car ran flawless. first the ugly: i spun twice. once due to right foot braking, i tangled brake and throttle, YES i now left foot brake, no more tangle. And second spin being a bit too aggressive trail braking, car rotated alright, right around. no starter damage and no flat spots, was lucky there. tried to mimic my spec miata school a month ago. radicals do not seem to like those slip angles the good: did a 1:23.8, which at AMP is a decent lap (compared to about anything with a tag) although the car is capable of high teens. i was encouraged to run that fast first time out. the downforce and mechanical grip are amazing although its definitely a workout. i also felt far more comfortable to push than i ever felt in a street car. no going back now and really glad i made this move.

Quick Reply: Not to scare anyone!