Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED: first car race - 24 hour event.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations! What an unforgettable experience. Rookie race Win! Great pictures.
Re race car for wheel to wheel racing, I would recommend a spec class-Miata, Boxster, Cayman or Radical SR3.
I'm biased, but a purpose built race car with low running costs (Radical) is the way to go.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:43 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by seanseidman
Congratulations! What an unforgettable experience. Rookie race Win! Great pictures.
Re race car for wheel to wheel racing, I would recommend a spec class-Miata, Boxster, Cayman or Radical SR3.
I'm biased, but a purpose built race car with low running costs (Radical) is the way to go.
I remember when you posted that this is the direction you were taking... now I understand more....
There is just no way i could slide a gt3 around a track with abandon like I did this Miata... the fun of driving.. and sometimes overdriving this little lightweight but powerless car through the pitch black night was indescribable.

I'm already googling the Radical...
Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

checkout some on board footage on youtube
Old 02-05-2018, 10:12 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Yep, I think you got "it".
Congrats on the rookie win! Impressive.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I remember when you posted that this is the direction you were taking... now I understand more....
There is just no way i could slide a gt3 around a track with abandon like I did this Miata... the fun of driving.. and sometimes overdriving this little lightweight but powerless car through the pitch black night was indescribable.

I'm already googling the Radical...
Congratulations! I bet you know by now you can buy about 5 Miatas, a trailer and a tow vehicle for the cost of a Radical!
Old 02-05-2018, 03:36 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Congratulations! I bet you know by now you can buy about 5 Miatas, a trailer and a tow vehicle for the cost of a Radical!
Can get a good competitive used one for approx 50k-60k
once you own it, my guess is that it is cheaper to run than a spec miata
Old 02-06-2018, 05:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Last post about this race as I don't want to oversell it.. but the fact that I was lucky enough to win the first ever actual race I entered is just sinking in... It somehow taken two days to come off of the high and just absorb it all.

Here's a video sent to me by a competing team, we were in second and he was in third place... You can see it one point we passed a Porsche 914 where I going to first and he is able to follow me... Then he passes me back when I go wide in a turn, and then finally he goes into the pits for tires and I'm able to pass him for the lead and we basically held out all the way until the morning
The part I enjoyed the most was learning to drive that car without an engine... Never ever touching the brakes unless it was absolutely necessary, basically under full power in most turns except for hairpins by running to the very wide edges of the track in order to keep up speed. Also you can see from the video how very little visibility there is at night, and how much dust there was.

I'm hooked... I'm totally ducking hooked

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...0V-MAJwmHhSav9

My obituary will say "he was a racecar driver with a perfect record... He entered one race, won it, and then retired" haha
Old 02-06-2018, 06:07 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Ok.. nuts that this app won't let me post pics.. but what can I say.. somehow, as slow as we were in our little momentum machine Miata.. we won!!!!!!!
EXCELLENT REPORT. COMPLETE AWESOMENESS!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

LOVE IT!

Just got back from my 2nd race (lemons at Barber, after lemons at Road Atlanta) and I bet like me, you're wishing you listened to everyone who said "this is a bad idea"/"don't do it"/etc...

Funny enough, those downers are also the ones who told me not to buy a 911 as it wasn't sensible. I don't talk to them anymore!

Congratulations on a big win and great experience! Thanks for sharing the pics and vids!
Old 02-07-2018, 06:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Last post about this race as I don't want to oversell it.. but the fact that I was lucky enough to win the first ever actual race I entered is just sinking in... It somehow taken two days to come off of the high and just absorb it all.

Here's a video sent to me by a competing team, we were in second and he was in third place... You can see it one point we passed a Porsche 914 where I going to first and he is able to follow me... Then he passes me back when I go wide in a turn, and then finally he goes into the pits for tires and I'm able to pass him for the lead and we basically held out all the way until the morning
The part I enjoyed the most was learning to drive that car without an engine... Never ever touching the brakes unless it was absolutely necessary, basically under full power in most turns except for hairpins by running to the very wide edges of the track in order to keep up speed. Also you can see from the video how very little visibility there is at night, and how much dust there was.

I'm hooked... I'm totally ducking hooked

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...0V-MAJwmHhSav9

My obituary will say "he was a racecar driver with a perfect record... He entered one race, won it, and then retired" haha
I get a 404 Error trying to see your video...
Old 02-07-2018, 11:14 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

i get an error message as well
Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by seanseidman
i get an error message as well
Damn, not sure why some people can see.. I think it depends whether you have a google account? I'll try to upload to YouTube and repost
Old 02-08-2018, 03:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I have a Google account so that isn't it... Youtube or Vimeo works!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please allow me to respectfully offer my congratulations on the race win. I can honestly say that I was relieved to read that your first race went without incident and for sure you have now garnered enough driving experience to be able to enter in more events without many of the risks I cautioned in my earlier posts. There is no substitute for track time in competition and you surely got the better part of a season's worth in your single event. Welcome to the addiction.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nuvolari
Please allow me to respectfully offer my congratulations on the race win. I can honestly say that I was relieved to read that your first race went without incident and for sure you have now garnered enough driving experience to be able to enter in more events without many of the risks I cautioned in my earlier posts. There is no substitute for track time in competition and you surely got the better part of a season's worth in your single event. Welcome to the addiction.
Thank you, that means something coming from you. Your warnings were well-intentioned and in truth, well-taken. The win was a total fluke.. but the addiction as you say, is real. Peace friend.

Quick Reply: SUGGESTIONS NEEDED: first car race - 24 hour event.