Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance question about towing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 PM
bpu699

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance question about towing...

Getting a dedicated track car soon... Something cheap I can have the kids drive too...

insurer is state farm for my vehicles...

regular insurance covers tow car and trailer...

stp insurance covers race car for damage off track, but no liability...

what if the car flies off the trailer, or in my driveway hits someone seriously hurting them...

what insurance covers that?

Also, should I seek stp insurance elsewhere? Kind of leery of asking my agent about it...
Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

check with Hagerty about trailer insurance.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 AM
schaibaa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

State Farm (for me) covers the liability of anything attached to my tow vehicle.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Liability coverage should be from your tow vehicle. That's pretty standard. Risk of loss/fire/theft of your track car/trailer need to be insured separately under transit and paddock insurance. Lockton calls it off track insurance.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:37 PM
bpu699

Originally Posted by schaibaa
State Farm (for me) covers the liability of anything attached to my tow vehicle.
thanks for the info guys...

will verify with agent that liability covers anything being towed... Didn't know it worked that way...

there was an odd thread years ago where a race car separated from the trailer and tow vehicle during a highway accident. Poster said he was informed his trailer was covered until the moment it separated from the tow vehicle... From that point forward, not covered if the unattached trailer/race car hits something...

true i.e. or not, not sure...

does hagerties stp stp insurance provide any liability? I believe my umbrella policy states all vehicles must be insured with State Farm...
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bpu699

thanks for the info guys...

will verify with agent that liability covers anything being towed... Didn't know it worked that way...

there was an odd thread years ago where a race car separated from the trailer and tow vehicle during a highway accident. Poster said he was informed his trailer was covered until the moment it separated from the tow vehicle... From that point forward, not covered if the unattached trailer/race car hits something...

true i.e. or not, not sure...

does hagerties stp stp insurance provide any liability? I believe my umbrella policy states all vehicles must be insured with State Farm...
my racecar insurance specifically covers towing, fire and theft. these can be customized.

Quick Reply: Insurance question about towing...