Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   NooooOoo (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1042932-nooooooo.html)

usccharles 01-12-2018 12:16 PM

NooooOoo

So this happened...

Safe driving everyone!

p.s. good news is Porsche service says no frame damage!! Currently waiting for parts to arrive from Germany. Two week turn around.

ace37 01-12-2018 02:28 PM

Sorry..... that is a huge pity. You almost kept away from it too.

Take it to the best shop you can find and let them take their time. Once it’s back together there’s nothing to lose so you can have even more fun with it.

dgrobs 01-12-2018 02:50 PM

Nice try. So close.

As Maxwell Smart would say......

jlanka 01-12-2018 02:57 PM

Thats impressive, driving on a track that has snow on it.

HoBoJoe 01-14-2018 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jlanka (Post 14726929)
Thats impressive, driving on a track that has snow on it.

+1 What track is this?

rnh204 01-14-2018 11:55 AM

Looks like Palmer?

gbuff 01-14-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe (Post 14730137)
+1 What track is this?

Somewhere in Korea?

Akunob 01-14-2018 06:30 PM

Sorry to see this, glad it wasn't worse...this is why we wait for some thaw before going out on track at Limerock in frosty April.

usccharles 01-14-2018 09:31 PM

It’s a track in South Korea Inje Speedway.

I’ve learned, the hard way, through this and that is basically to keep traction control on during the winter months. As soon as I slipped off the main racing line, I was sliding on ice and as soon as I hit the snow i felt like the car was sledding. Must have been the longest few seconds of my life waiting for my car to crash.

I was totally bummed but after going over the crash I think I was really really lucky. I was sliding sideways so if I hit the wall more with the front bumper it would have possibly spun my car around and would have bumper cared around the barrier, if I hit the wall more on my side I would have surely had some wheel alignment and possibly frame damage. I hit it just at the corner where it was safest to touch and bounce off. And if you look at the video again I was counter steering as I slid. If I hadn’t, my wheel would have hit barrier and I would probably have had far worse wheel alignment and frame damage. But my wheels didn’t touch, so no alignment or frame damage per service center! I just have to replace the front bumper quarter panel and headlights! Whew...

usccharles 01-14-2018 09:55 PM

heres the full track if anyone is interested

HoBoJoe 01-14-2018 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by usccharles (Post 14731119)
https://youtu.be/S0jITqiZRFE

Looks amazing!

Sven76 01-15-2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by dgrobs (Post 14726917)
Nice try. So close.

As Maxwell Smart would say......

Not really. Let the wheel spinning, yeah.... :eek: However, no damage other than the car.

Jabs1542 01-16-2018 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by usccharles (Post 14731119)

Looks like a great track. Keep an eye on your tires if you continue winter driving. My Sport Cup 2s delaminated due to cold weather. Talked with Michelin and the engineer said it was due to the delta T, most R compound tires don't like extremely cold weather. He advised staying above 50 degrees. The issue is the tire surface gets hot while the sidewall/core is still cold, this forces the delta T to be absorbed in ply compound of the tire itself causing separation within the ply.

ninjabones 01-16-2018 02:49 PM

Sorry about the shunt. Sooner or later, it happens too everyone. I might only suggest that you release the wheel next time before impact. Years ago I hit tire wall at modest speed and f'd up my left thumb. Doesn't take much to tear a ligament or break a wrist.

dgrobs 01-16-2018 03:34 PM

Sven and ninja, he should have let the wheel unwind before the impact? Why?Asking only as a novice/intermediate level track driver.Thanks for any info on this....