Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Organizers...what registration system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I'd like to give a nod to drivingevals for managing student logbook and skills progression and rating of students and instructors
That is included in Club Registration and one of the features that makes it my preference from an organizer POV.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:58 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I'd like to give a nod to drivingevals for managing student logbook and skills progression and rating of students and instructors
+1
used it instructing with Trillium BMW CCA
Fabulous system-online log book
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 PM
EvergreenDan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
That is included in Club Registration ....
Dan Chadwick from Driving Evals here. I think there's a little confusion. I believe that ClubReg has some form of instructor's-evaluation-of-student built in. I am not affiliated with ClubReg so I can't speak to its capabilities or characteristics.

Driving Evals is a standalone service that provides in-depth evaluations of students. It also provides evaluations of instructors, of events, and of the classroom instructor. It has comprehensive logbook features for both students and instructors. It has lots of back-end support for registrars and chief instructors to help made student/instructor run group assignments and pairings easier. It is especially useful for dealing with students from other clubs/regions who aren't known to you. An auto-assign feature can make an automated first pass at the assignments, to be tweaked by the organizers.

Driving Evals offers both a conventional evaluation form and the Skill Level Instruction Program. SLIP is a set of detailed skill criteria/descriptions for each skill and skill level. It can be used by for promoting students from one run group to the next.

Driving Evals integrates with registrations systems. We integrate with ClubReg by exporting students/assignments to a file and then importing the file. Our integration with MotorsportReg is MUCH more comprehensive. Our server communicates directly with the MSR server to retrieve events, users, registrations, and student/instructor pairings, all without any import/export of files. It also can upload summaries of the evaluations back to the MSR as MSR logbook entries.

If you are considering using Driving Evals, I would encourage you to look closely at MotorsportReg. Brian Ghidinelli has done a fabulous job of creating a very capable registration system. You can set up just about any registration form -- very flexible. Because MSR is popular with many organizations, my home club (Boston BMW CCA) found that we got more participants when we switched to MSR than we did when we had a standalone registration system. A lot of people plan their year by looking on MSR for events.

I do know that PCA CR uses ClubReg. I'm not sure how PCA regions that use MSR handle races.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:13 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, Well done!
PCA should be using it for HPDE Events.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by EvergreenDan
Dan Chadwick from Driving Evals here. I think there's a little confusion. I believe that ClubReg has some form of instructor's-evaluation-of-student built in. I am not affiliated with ClubReg so I can't speak to its capabilities or characteristics.

Driving Evals is a standalone service that provides in-depth evaluations of students. It also provides evaluations of instructors, of events, and of the classroom instructor. It has comprehensive logbook features for both students and instructors. It has lots of back-end support for registrars and chief instructors to help made student/instructor run group assignments and pairings easier. It is especially useful for dealing with students from other clubs/regions who aren't known to you. An auto-assign feature can make an automated first pass at the assignments, to be tweaked by the organizers.

Driving Evals offers both a conventional evaluation form and the Skill Level Instruction Program. SLIP is a set of detailed skill criteria/descriptions for each skill and skill level. It can be used by for promoting students from one run group to the next.

Driving Evals integrates with registrations systems. We integrate with ClubReg by exporting students/assignments to a file and then importing the file. Our integration with MotorsportReg is MUCH more comprehensive. Our server communicates directly with the MSR server to retrieve events, users, registrations, and student/instructor pairings, all without any import/export of files. It also can upload summaries of the evaluations back to the MSR as MSR logbook entries.

If you are considering using Driving Evals, I would encourage you to look closely at MotorsportReg. Brian Ghidinelli has done a fabulous job of creating a very capable registration system. You can set up just about any registration form -- very flexible. Because MSR is popular with many organizations, my home club (Boston BMW CCA) found that we got more participants when we switched to MSR than we did when we had a standalone registration system. A lot of people plan their year by looking on MSR for events.

I do know that PCA CR uses ClubReg. I'm not sure how PCA regions that use MSR handle races.
+1 for Dan, DrivingEvals and MSR for integrating all of this. SLIP is the daddy for HPDE, IMO.

Too often, the variability of the curricula and experience of instructors, both in the classroom and right seat, gets in the way of evaluating student skills in a consistent and COMPLETE way.

SLIP is a huge step towards a comprehensive evaluation of basic skill sets, and one that sets out in good detail, what we're all striving to execute ourselves and to teach others.

Integration with a central (and accessible) database is central to it's effectiveness, BECAUSE it's automated. Thanks, Dan.

Originally Posted by seanseidman
Dan, Well done!
PCA should be using it for HPDE Events.
See above. Would help a great deal, particularly as people travel more and more.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 AM
pukka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EvergreenDan
Our server communicates directly with the MSR server to retrieve events, users, registrations, and student/instructor pairings, all without any import/export of files. It also can upload summaries of the evaluations back to the MSR as MSR logbook entries.
MotorsportReg has had a student-instructor logbook system since 2004. Between the built-in functionality and external systems like DrivingEvals, there are more than 50,000 logbook entries. Organizers can selectively share logbook entries with other organizers. It's really useful when a brand new driver shows up to your club and you can see their nation-wide participation history and comments from a previous instructor!
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 PM
Lou D
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been a registrar for more than 10 years and counting. I'm currently the registrar for the Zone 1 48 Hours at WGI. When I began my registrar career I used a Microsoft Access Database program that George B had configured. Once clubregistration.net became available, I began using that and have been ever since. I've only used MSR as a registrant not registrar.

My experience with cr.net as a registrar has been 100% positive. It's easy to see what other events the registrants have done and what run group the other clubs put them in. Creating reports is easy to do. Pre-printed PCA waiver forms are only a mouse click away. Most importantly, issuing refunds through cr.net is a breeze. Most regions in the North East use cr.net. A few do use MSR. Chris and Gail at cr.net are responsive to any questions or concerns. Each year Chris seems to make cr.net better and easier to use.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou D
I've been a registrar for more than 10 years and counting. I'm currently the registrar for the Zone 1 48 Hours at WGI. When I began my registrar career I used a Microsoft Access Database program that George B had configured. Once clubregistration.net became available, I began using that and have been ever since. I've only used MSR as a registrant not registrar.

My experience with cr.net as a registrar has been 100% positive. It's easy to see what other events the registrants have done and what run group the other clubs put them in. Creating reports is easy to do. Pre-printed PCA waiver forms are only a mouse click away. Most importantly, issuing refunds through cr.net is a breeze. Most regions in the North East use cr.net. A few do use MSR. Chris and Gail at cr.net are responsive to any questions or concerns. Each year Chris seems to make cr.net better and easier to use.
I will add to that that Chris is VERY responsive to special requests for customization. He has turned around modifications to the system, specific for our organization on very short order. Terrific customer service.

Quick Reply: DE Organizers...what registration system?