Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superspeedway Roval tire pressures for DOT race rubber (Hoosiers A6)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Superspeedway Roval tire pressures for DOT race rubber (Hoosiers A6)

For those that have a lot of experience good and bad, what is the recommended tire pressure for these Rovals? Going to a SCCA Majors race at Cal speedway this next weekend and want the safest pressure.

I think i heard recently that even Hoosier was recommended 40psi cold.. seems pretty extreme. What have you all seen. upsides , downsides? (i.e. blow out, wear, speed, etc)

For those that know me and my use of used tires, both sets im taking were purchased new by me . one with 2 heat cycles, and the other about 6 heat cycles. Hoosier A6s 18 x 315

thanks

Mk
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

So, according to this Hoosier document -> http://hoosiertire.staging.racersite...s/TCTR7_A7.pdf

40 would be the minimum you would run on the banking, realizing that Hoosier doesn’t recommend running their tires on banks. The important point there is that you need to go out with the tire at the same pressure you need it hot as the side walls are not up to running cold on banks. This means tires need to be bled down or warmed up ahead of time.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The last A6 was made in early 2014 IIRC.

For A7 they recommend bumping pressure by 5psi on the banked side and not running much over 2 degrees camber.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 754 Posts

A6...wow...4 years old AT MINIMUM
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I just sent recommended pressures to your pager
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

ROFLCOPTER
Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Darwin was an optimist
Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The last A6 was made in early 2014 IIRC.

For A7 they recommend bumping pressure by 5psi on the banked side and not running much over 2 degrees camber.
sorry, i meant A7s. so only 5psi up, so that means 40 hot on that banking side? that makes sense.... what about the rumors of starting out 40cold on the banking sides, meaning they could get up to 48psi HOT. that seems like a chance for a blowout or weird wear patterns.

Originally Posted by mmuller
So, according to this Hoosier document -> http://hoosiertire.staging.racersite...s/TCTR7_A7.pdf

40 would be the minimum you would run on the banking, realizing that Hoosier doesn’t recommend running their tires on banks. The important point there is that you need to go out with the tire at the same pressure you need it hot as the side walls are not up to running cold on banks. This means tires need to be bled down or warmed up ahead of time.
thanks. what do you mean, "bled down ahead of time" normally, you anticipate the hot pressures going up up by 7-8psi over cold, and just start by taking target pressures hot and subtracting the 7-8psi.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
A6...wow...4 years old AT MINIMUM
You are in "tool mode".

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I just sent recommended pressures to your pager
Thanks!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:33 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

What I meant by that is that you cannot use the standard process which is to predict what the hot temp will be and start the tire at a lower pressure to compensate for that. I have been told by Hoosier engineers that those 2 or 3 laps that the tire is coming up to pressure will essentially destroy the sidewall. This is why they sugest start with the hot pressure as your cold pressure, let the tire over inflate and the bleed off. Or, pre warm the tire prior to the session.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmuller
What I meant by that is that you cannot use the standard process which is to predict what the hot temp will be and start the tire at a lower pressure to compensate for that. I have been told by Hoosier engineers that those 2 or 3 laps that the tire is coming up to pressure will essentially destroy the sidewall. This is why they sugest start with the hot pressure as your cold pressure, let the tire over inflate and the bleed off. Or, pre warm the tire prior to the session.
got it.........makes sense, as long as the hot pressure isnt at a pressure that can cause a problem. sounds like you have researched that to not be a risk. ... so , if you come in at 7lbs over, you bleed it down and you are at the right pressure, and you know the cold pressure. it goes to much higher, that willl allow you to find the correct pressure... thanks for the tip.. ill use it.
So, I guess it begs the question, how much pressure rise at operating temps do the R7s come up too during a qual session at ACS? is there a noticeble difference , left side to right?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Superspeedway Roval tire pressures for DOT race rubber (Hoosiers A6)