Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Driver Education events for the SUV crowd???

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, we, in here, tend to think that only cars, P-cars. etc., are track cars.... but since Porsche is selling more SUV's than anything else, and if there is interest/feedback from club members, then what is there to lose by sending a request up the flag pole for SUV owners (and I instructed a Panamera driver at LRP for HCP region) with a taste of the track......maybe event a winter "sno-deo" course for those who want to see how their SUV's perform. The clubs can generate additional revenue....and who know, maybe some of the SUV drivers will buy 911's or Caymans? The chap I instructed sold the Panny and bought a new 911 GTS....sweet car........nice progression.

Last edited by SWK6Cup; 01-08-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by SWK6Cup
Yes, we, in here, tend to think that only cars, P-cars. etc., are track cars.... but since Porsche is selling more SUV's than anything else, and if there is interest/feedback from club members, then what is their to lose by sending a request up the flag pole for SUV owners (and I instructed a Panamera driver at LRP for HCP region) with a taste of the track......maybe event a winter "sno-deo" course for those who want to see how their SUV's perform. The clubs can generate additional revenue....and who know, maybe some of the SUV drivers will by 911's or Caymans? The chap I instructed sold the Panny and bought a new 911 GTS....sweet car........nice progression.
Sounds great, they should just give them their own run group and not mix them with proper sports cars. Unfortunately in most regions this will result in less track time for everybody.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:36 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS

I have only done a few laps in the X5M, but it is capable of getting around the track pretty well. This picture was taking already I had tracked down a GT4 and GT4 CS....
That vehicle does surprisingly well. More than enough to get somebody from newbie to the intermediate run group. In the rain, it is an excellent tool to run up at the pointy end of any DE group.

-Mike
Old 01-04-2018, 04:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Curt,
NNJR does a wonderful off road event once a season in the Pine Barrens of NJ. (No we have not run into the Devil yet). Pretty much an all day event with breakfast first (read: drivers meeting) and lunch in the middle of the day at a pre planned spot.
It's all off road and we go through the Cranberry Bogs and some wonderful large open sand pits where we get to practice car control, spinning around in the sand, and jumping the SUV's off some decent size sand ramps with some soft landings.
While not a "track" per se, it does draw a lot of NNJR SUV owners and is a great time. It isn't limited it to just Macans and Cayennes, as we took our Acura MDX out one year to this event. A local dealership also donates a Cayenne GTS for us to play with in the sand pits. Very generous of them and tons of fun. Amazing how well they handle off road. Totally blew away the MDX in terms of what it was capable of when not on a paved road.
There has been a large turnout for these events and maybe something you'd be interested in doing for the Niagara region as I'm sure you have plenty of off road areas up your way and in the Finger Lakes/Great lakes area.
Be happy to put you in touch with the folks from NNJR who run that show if you like.
I know it's not a DE event per se, but still a ton of fun for the SUV owners.
Let me know if I can help. Be happy to do so.
Good luck....
Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

I sure wouldn't want to get hit by an SUV on track while driving my racecar ...
Old 01-05-2018, 09:36 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Sounds great, they should just give them their own run group and not mix them with proper sports cars. Unfortunately in most regions this will result in less track time for everybody.
I don't think that's necessary. Just leave them in the Green group. I'm betting I could outrun most of the field in Green in a Macan. At that level, the vehicle really doesn't matter and isn't any more or less dangerous than any other.

Our region had a couple of them in the green group this year. They were apparently super slow, but that's due to the drivers not the vehicles.

I did a test drive event when they were launching the 718 Boxster. We did a lead-follow with the lead driver in a Macan Turbo. It was on the Mosport Driver Development Track and I'm fairly certain he could have driven off and left us behind if he wanted to... all while driving with a walkie in one hand.

They're quite capable and getting those guys on track in Green might just spur them to get a sports car to move up the ranks and keep at it.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:45 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I don't think that's necessary. Just leave them in the Green group. I'm betting I could outrun most of the field in Green in a Macan. At that level, the vehicle really doesn't matter and isn't any more or less dangerous than any other.

Our region had a couple of them in the green group this year. They were apparently super slow, but that's due to the drivers not the vehicles.

I did a test drive event when they were launching the 718 Boxster. We did a lead-follow with the lead driver in a Macan Turbo. It was on the Mosport Driver Development Track and I'm fairly certain he could have driven off and left us behind if he wanted to... all while driving with a walkie in one hand.

They're quite capable and getting those guys on track in Green might just spur them to get a sports car to move up the ranks and keep at it.
Me too!!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 PM
Rhythmaddict
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, saw a macan and panamera at NJMP. I think it's fine if you want to see if you want to get more into DEs but I consumables will prob get crazy if you actually try to do that regularly.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:53 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Last year I had a student in an X5M. Wasn't my idea to instruct in an SUV, but that's what I got.

Granted much of it was due to the driver (he used to race motorcycles), but he was blasting by everyone all day. And taking corners FAST with tires squealing everywhere (in a good way).

I was impressed.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:57 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
CVR hosted a single run group for the 4 door Porsches at a couple of their Lime Rock events last year.
Yes, it was a short session done around lunch time with only the "big Porsches" on the track at the time. It was extremely well received by the participants.

Don't hate on the big Porsches. While the Panamera may not be the most aesthetically pleasing car Porsche has ever design it does get around the track properly for a car its size.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:05 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Yes, it was a short session done around lunch time with only the "big Porsches" on the track at the time. It was extremely well received by the participants.

Don't hate on the big Porsches. While the Panamera may not be the most aesthetically pleasing car Porsche has ever design it does get around the track properly for a car its size.
No problem with the Panamera--a (well-known) instructor with ARPCA has had one out last couple years and the thing hauls A$$

Gary
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Last year I had a student in an X5M. Wasn't my idea to instruct in an SUV, but that's what I got.

Granted much of it was due to the driver (he used to race motorcycles), but he was blasting by everyone all day. And taking corners FAST with tires squealing everywhere (in a good way).

I was impressed.
I ran a 1:39 at NJMP on one of my first days ever on track in a Macan S. Think we passed just about everything out there. Ironically it was one of my first days on 4 wheels after years on 2 as well. You can here the P zero's squealing underneath us Heck, you can even throttle steer it and get the back end out, its a lot of fun.

BTW, My brakes lasted for 3,000 miles with 3 DE's mixed in. Now my Macan tows my track car for me. Funny thing is I am pretty sure if I took that thing back out now I would put it into the 35's or 36's which is faster than some of the cars in Black cough cough...Probably the most capable all around vehicle on the road but yeah, punch me in my vagina LMFAO...

Only 61,000 people viewed the video though so clearly there is no interest
Old 01-07-2018, 03:43 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Members at Monticello Motor Club can pretty much do that any day. Off road in the morning and track in the afternoon.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Now my Macan tows my track car for me.
Now you've got me curious.

My Wrangler has a similar towing capacity and I've pretty much given up on using it to tow to the track. Car is around 3200 lbs. Seems to me the smallest, lightest trailers are around 1400 lbs, which puts it over without adding so much as a jerry can.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Bman
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Some tracks are no longer allowing SUV’s for DE events. Summit Point being one of them.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Driver Education events for the SUV crowd???